Recap of Bears offseason

Ed Hochuli 3:16

After revisiting how this dude is ranking our acquisitions, I think he is nuts.

He is essentially telling us that he feels that Gholston is going to be more valuable than Barber is insane. Those 10 or so third and one or fourth and ones that Barber makes this year which Forte was unable to make last year will be more than what Gholston brings to this team. Not to mention his 5 or six goal line touchdowns. Gholston is what are fourth or fifth best DE? How much PT does he expect him to get as a situational pass rusher?

.to receive?

It's hard to argue against really. His opinions don't seem ridiculously on or off. They seem pretty even. Some good some not so good.

A good example is Barber. I like the signing and we're all pretty much anxious to see him as a goal line back. however, watching him on my freind's fantasy team last year...he rarely found the end zone. Only 4 td's last year. & the year before that, and 7 the year before that. Only one more year past, and he had 10.

Forte had 6 last year...and he was not on at the goal line at all last year.

So, I see where this guy is getting his doubts. Bottom line, any discussion of a retread can go either way...and usually bad. We got no real blue chip players this year in FA to be truly amped about. Peppers, last year, was the guy to get excited about.

I see and overall upgrade, especially if a guy like Paea kicks ass... But it's really hard to tell with all the praise gushing around without actually playing anyone.

First they list the draft and their grades, then the readers' comments, and then FA under all of that.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2011chi.php

Thoughts?

I have my doubts...but to me, he passes the smell test. He just looks like he can get some tough short yards that we've been not able to do as of late.

Exactly. The Bears could not convert a 2nd and 1 or a first and goal from the 2 last year. If that's all he does, then he might well add 5+ TD's to the Bears' offense.

The ratings seem pretty accurate to me for what those guys have done in the past. However, I think all of them have an opportunity exceed those expectations this year.

In the end, it looks like we made reasonable improvements across the board, without too many areas getting weaker.

QB - Collins vs Enderle (Upgrade by just removing Collins)

RB - Wolfe vs Barber, Ta'ufo'ou (Upgrade, especially in short yardage)

TE - Olsen/Manu vs Spaeth (Downgrade in receiving, upgrade in blocking)

WR - Davis/Aroma vs Williams, Hurd, Sanzenbacher (upgrade)

OL - Kruetz, Shaffer vs Carimi, Spencer (loss of leadership, experience, upgrade in ability, youth)

DL - Harris, Anderson vs Paea, Gholston, Okoye (upgrade for DT and DE)

LB - Tino vs Thomas (wash)

DB - Bullocks, Manning vs Conte (downgrade, unless Wright is ready)

ST - Maynard vs Podlesh (upgrade)

KR/PR - Manning vs ???

Overall I think we are a slightly better team this year, and the players fit the team better. Guys like Spaeth and Barber are not flashy, but they address some glaring weaknesses. The DLine got a lot better, which should take some pressure off the secondary. Podlesh upgrades the Special Teams, though we will have to replace Manning on KO's. I am still concerned about the OLine, and I hope there is improvement in the 2nd year of the same system.

:cheers

I'll chime in on this with you by saying this team had no fullback last year and basically the lead blocker was Manu or Olsen. The fact that they have 2 FBs on the roster now makes me feel good but it makes me wonder also if we are going to go tight on another position that we may need depth in like DB or LB.

I'm pretty meh on the Bears offseason. As long as Carimi doesn't end up being Chris Williams part 2 we came out okay. I'm pretty disapointed that we didn't look more towards offensive line in Free Agency. I really like the additions of Barber, Okoye, and Gholston. Barber becomes our goaline back, Okoye will get in their for stretches to rush the quarterback, and so will Gholston, providing he pans out better than he did in New York. Roy Williams is an X-Factor for this offense. He can either be really bad or really good for us. I'm hoping we get the Roy Williams from Detroit and not the one from Dallas. With Barber being our goaline back, Williams is probably going to be our redzone target through the passing game.

Draft Grade: C-

Free Agency Grade: B- (Could end up being better depending on how they play)

Overall Grade: C

I personally think you're a little harsh on the draft grade anda little easy on your FA grade. I think we reached for Enderle...but Carimi and Paea were the plays to be made, and we made them. At least JA got a darn OL in the draft! I give the team a solid B for the draft and a C for FA. They didn't do anything more or less than an average NFL team. Overall would be a C+ for me.

I'm pretty meh on the Bears offseason. As long as Carimi doesn't end up being Chris Williams part 2 we came out okay. I'm pretty disapointed that we didn't look more towards offensive line in Free Agency. I really like the additions of Barber, Okoye, and Gholston. Barber becomes our goaline back, Okoye will get in their for stretches to rush the quarterback, and so will Gholston, providing he pans out better than he did in New York. Roy Williams is an X-Factor for this offense. He can either be really bad or really good for us. I'm hoping we get the Roy Williams from Detroit and not the one from Dallas. With Barber being our goaline back, Williams is probably going to be our redzone target through the passing game.

Draft Grade: C-

Free Agency Grade: B- (Could end up being better depending on how they play)

Overall Grade: C