A thought on Forte

Connorbear

So you mean just now, when they played hardball by offering him 2x what anyone else would?

Yes, they franchise tagged Briggs. They didn't, IIRC, start telling him that he was replaceable did they?

I just mentioned they COULD play hardball. I would hope they wouldnt. I keep hearing "it's a business" and that is something to consider. I would never discount anything. Whodda thunk the Bears would have ever been a player for Cutler then Peppers the following year? They have broke from conventional wisdom before. I'm just sayin.

So you mean just now, when they played hardball by offering him 2x what anyone else would?

Yes, they franchise tagged Briggs. They didn't, IIRC, start telling him that he was replaceable did they?

No when they told him he had one hour to take it or they would move on?

When Briggs played that whole year on the franchise tender and then was still allowed to hit free agency for an all-pro LB that was a pretty hard-lined stance.That was the same instance where they accused the 49ers of tampering with him. So IMO when a player winds up coming to the team's terms after a 2year period of negotiations and threatening to leave,he was involved in a hardball situation. I'm not sure but I also believe that was the year the Bears picked up Pisa.I'm not sure if it was before or after Briggs inked his deal. I just remember Lovie symbolically starting him off on the 2nd team because he wasn't at mini camps and OTAs because of the situation.

No when they told him he had one hour to take it or they would move on?

When Briggs played that whole year on the franchise tender and then was still allowed to hit free agency for an all-pro LB that was a pretty hard-lined stance.That was the same instance where they accused the 49ers of tampering with him. So IMO when a player winds up coming to the team's terms after a 2year period of negotiations and threatening to leave,he was involved in a hardball situation. I'm not sure but I also believe that was the year the Bears picked up Pisa.I'm not sure if it was before or after Briggs inked his deal. I just remember Lovie symbolically starting him off on the 2nd team because he wasn't at mini camps and OTAs because of the situation.

Briggs was extended in 2008, Pisa was signed in 2009.

I also recall that Briggs basically came limping back to the Bears because no one else was offering him a contract like the one the Bears were, and he acted like he thought he'd get way more than that still.

Briggs was extended in 2008, Pisa was signed in 2009.

I also recall that Briggs basically came limping back to the Bears because no one else was offering him a contract like the one the Bears were, and he acted like he thought he'd get way more than that still.

You're right and I believe it was them trying to tell us that Okwo was going to step up. The rumors were supposedly linked to the 9ers and Skins and both those opportunities dried up.

I wouldn't trade Forte. Him and Bell are still young and have life in them. I like Barber and Taylor but they've been in the league for 7 years for Barber and 10 years for Taylor. The only way I'd trade Forte is if they could get a good 1st round pick and knew of a great running back in the upcoming draft that they could get or trade the first round for an established but young running back.

Welcome board InfyF!

As long as JA is picking, I'm not sure I'd ever give a way a bird in hand for a pick in the bush...

I wouldn't trade Forte. Him and Bell are still young and have life in them. I like Barber and Taylor but they've been in the league for 7 years for Barber and 10 years for Taylor. The only way I'd trade Forte is if they could get a good 1st round pick and knew of a great running back in the upcoming draft that they could get or trade the first round for an established but young running back.