Was the penalty on Knox's return legit?

madlithuanian

I never saw a replay that showed it, and Aikman questioned it without Fox ever showing it.

Can anyone confirm?

I watched the replay a couple of times and it looked as if Graham grabbed the defenders shoulder around the 40 yard line. It was very quick and fairly ticky tack. I have seen much worse never called.

Peace :dabears

Thanks. That was the impression I got during the game. What a shame. It was a shrewd call by Toub.

I watched the replay a couple of times and it looked as if Graham grabbed the defenders shoulder around the 40 yard line. It was very quick and fairly ticky tack. I have seen much worse never called.

It makes me sick that such a well executed trick play didn't count though.

Pointless blocking penalties on returns count as one of the major wonders of the modern world I'd say. You'd think coaches would've beat it out of the players by now in the form of wind sprints or demotions, but nope, still incredibly, incredibly, incredibly common. And I'll have to accept it won't change.

There was one block that needed to be thrown the entire return and that was the little shove of the punter. It was a great call but why the hell would someone on the return team even think about getting a holding penalty. That is of course whether it happened or not, unless there was "the magic hold from the DB in the grassy knoll"

Guys, I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I'm an official. I've personally talked to multiple NFL guys. Guys who have officiated Super Bowls. And one of the philosophies often spoke of is specifically related to this kind of call. More often than not it's referred to a "56 MPH Penalty." You don't pull over the speeder going 56 in a 55. You get the big ones. If your grandma can't see it from the stands, then it probably shouldn't be called. In other words, be absolutely certain that either A] The foul is safety related, or B] The foul provides one team with an advantage.

In this case, the foul was neither. It was a horrible call.

Guys, I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I'm an official. I've personally talked to multiple NFL guys. Guys who have officiated Super Bowls. And one of the philosophies often spoke of is specifically related to this kind of call. More often than not it's referred to a "56 MPH Penalty." You don't pull over the speeder going 56 in a 55. You get the big ones. If your grandma can't see it from the stands, then it probably shouldn't be called. In other words, be absolutely certain that either A] The foul is safety related, or B] The foul provides one team with an advantage.

In this case, the foul was neither. It was a horrible call.

No offense, Jason, but I don't think it takes an official to tell it was a horrible call. The closest person to Knox was the punter and that block couldn't have been cleaner if it was showered with bleach.

Thank you though for breaking down like that. However, in the words of my wonderful catholic grandmother, "THAT CALL WAS HORSESHIT!!!"

No offense, Jason, but I don't think it takes an official to tell it was a horrible call. The closest person to Knox was the punter and that block couldn't have been cleaner if it was showered with bleach.

Thank you though for breaking down like that. However, in the words of my wonderful catholic grandmother, "THAT CALL WAS HORSESHIT!!!"

No offense taken. I was just pointing out that in officiating circles, that is even a bad call. I guarantee he gets downgraded for that call. It's like calling a holding call on the WR on the short side of the field when a sweep is going to the wide-side. It's of absolutely no consequence to the play, and you let it go with a warning to the player. But, agree, that call was horseshit.

Corey Graham admitted he grabbed a player going by him at around the 40-yard line. It was just for a brief second and had no impact on the play but he said it was his fault and he should have let the player go by.

In the end it makes no difference. We would not have won the game. However, I will say again that Dave Toub is a genius and is the one coach I never want to leave this team.

Great call wasted in a game that was lost, why not save that for a game where we may need it, EVERYONE will be looking out for it now

It was a thing of beauty though

At the time the Bears were down what, 10 points in a key division game at home? You get that score, it's a 3 point game in the 4th quarter.

but it would have covered the spread! makes ya think!

Corey Graham admitted he grabbed a player going by him at around the 40-yard line. It was just for a brief second and had no impact on the play but he said it was his fault and he should have let the player go by.

In the end it makes no difference. We would not have won the game. However, I will say again that Dave Toub is a genius and is the one coach I never want to leave this team.