Randy Moss

Bears4Ever_34

This last game, he did have time to throw, but while there were exceptions, they would show the replay and the receivers were covered or dropped the ball.

Sure, some passes were off the mark. Sure, you can question too the routes, scheme, playcalling. At the same time, our WRs still struggle to get separation. They catch with their body rather than their hands. They were alligator arming several passes.

I personally believe a chunk of the blame goes to Drake, the WR coach, but at the same time, I also think there is ample reason to point to the lack of any playmaking/go to WRs as hurting this offense.

As for Moss, last I heard he was retired and said no to a couple teams who made unofficial phone calls.

Can he play OL?

Seriously. There's a good chance that from a week from now, we'll all be saying "f*** the WR position. It doesn't matter if Cutler has no time to throw."

Can he play OL?

Seriously. There's a good chance that from a week from now, we'll all be saying "f*** the WR position. It doesn't matter if Cutler has no time to throw."

Agreed, but a play making WR can give Cutler a pressure release. So many times you see Rodgers check his one on one coverage on Jennings and he just throws it to Jennings back shoulder. The Bears don't have a guy like that (we'll see on Roy Williams, but who knows).

Now I don't think Randy Moss is that guy anymore. Go offer a 1st Rounder to Miami for Brandon Marshall....they're 0-3 and would rather be in the Luck sweeps anyway- they'd do it.

This last game, he did have time to throw, but while there were exceptions, they would show the replay and the receivers were covered or dropped the ball.

Sure, some passes were off the mark. Sure, you can question too the routes, scheme, playcalling. At the same time, our WRs still struggle to get separation. They catch with their body rather than their hands. They were alligator arming several passes.

I personally believe a chunk of the blame goes to Drake, the WR coach, but at the same time, I also think there is ample reason to point to the lack of any playmaking/go to WRs as hurting this offense.

As for Moss, last I heard he was retired and said no to a couple teams who made unofficial phone calls.

I agree that is a logical blame, but I wouldn't blame Drake as this WR group just isn't very good.

Knox and Hester are the go to guys in the offense for goodness sake. They're slot WRs at best.

Do it for a 2nd and Johnny Knox...

Agreed, but a play making WR can give Cutler a pressure release. So many times you see Rodgers check his one on one coverage on Jennings and he just throws it to Jennings back shoulder. The Bears don't have a guy like that (we'll see on Roy Williams, but who knows).

Now I don't think Randy Moss is that guy anymore. Go offer a 1st Rounder to Miami for Brandon Marshall....they're 0-3 and would rather be in the Luck sweeps anyway- they'd do it.

Can he play OL?

WR is equally as important as having an offensive line. I think people really undersell this. If you have a good offensive line but receivers that can't separate, then it doesn't do you a whole lot of good.. and vice versa. The Bears won't have a good offense until both of these positions go through a major overhaul. Atleast Randy Moss can still separate from his man at times and will catch passes that hit him in the hands instead of letting it bounce off his facemask or chest..

Do it for a 2nd and Johnny Knox...

I'd do that, however I don't think Miami has any interest in trading Brandon Marshall. He's been one of the few bright spots along with Henne this season. It would probably take atleast a first round draft pick just to get them to talk, in which case I'd say no thanks. Who knows, if we keep playing the way we are, we might end up with a top 10-15 draft pick and be able to draft a guy like Justin Blackmon or the kid from South Carolina.

Problem is that Smith and Angelo both feel that our wide receivers are good enough to do what we need. I just do not understand how these people still have jobs. We lack a true #1 and #2 receiver. We are working well with Slot receivers at best working on being #1s and it just is not cutting it. Do not tell me that Williams is a #1 and with Bennett being injured in N.O. last week, we'll never see if he could be a true legitimate #1 or #2. I know Cutler liked Bennett a lot his senior year at Vandy however, that was then and this is now. We need help and receivers who do not drop balls and run complete routes.

Previous to this season I really thought the Bears could make do with the WRs they have. Do I love them? No. But I honestly felt/feel that if the OL was even close to a good college line (they're not), then the WRs would have enough time to get open and make plays. Well, as it stands now, they do neither. The last game showed us that when Cutler gets time - which is infrequent - the WRs are simply not open. And when they are, they're not as good as they should be. The Knox experiment has been given enough chances; he doesn't have the mental makeup or the skills to be a starting slot. Realistically the Bears should have a #1 (presumably Roy Williams), a slot (Knox or Hester), a possession guy (Bennett or Sanz). What they do have is no #1 (because Roy is hurt and questionable as the #1), no real slot (because neither Hester nor Knox can get open like a slot should be able to), and 1.5 possession guys (because Bennett is hurt). WTF is Cutler supposed to do with that? That is, when he actually has time to do something.

Next year's draft should be three positions: OT, OG, WR. That's it.

I absolutely blame Drake. No, he doesn't have great talent to work with, but what really bothers me is we see WR fail in the same areas they seemingly have always struggled with. Our WRs don't get separation. They body catch rather than with their hands. They suck getting off press coverage. They rarely use their body well to shield the defender, often allowing the defender to have as good of position as the WR.

I have said for years our coaching at WR sucks. So many things like those listed above are considered coachable, but for us, they are areas we struggle year after year.

I agree that is a logical blame, but I wouldn't blame Drake as this WR group just isn't very good.

Knox and Hester are the go to guys in the offense for goodness sake. They're slot WRs at best.

I still think a huge part of this is coaching.

I agree 100% we do not have a #1 WR. Frankly, any who thought Roy was a #1 was freaking nuts. Look at his history. He is an over-rated WR. Yes, he had skills, but even in his prime, he wasn't a consistent player. Frankly, he is more of a #3 than a #1.

I disagree we don't have a slot WR, or at least I disagree we don't have the potential of a slot WR. IMHO, either Hester or Knox could be, but for that to happen we need (a) better coaching at the WR position and (B) a #1 WR. If you don't have a #1 defenses worry about, they can better focus on the more dangerous #2 in the slot. We need a #1 and a better WR coach.

No, the group of WRs we have brought in over the years isn't great. At the same time, it simply seems to me they have all shared the same negatives, or struggled in some of the same areas. Which of our WRs are good beating the press? How about getting separation from the DB. Sorry, but that isn't just about talent and skills. It's also coaching. Catching the ball with your hands, away from your body, as opposed to catching with your body. How about shielding the defender. Again, these are coachable WR traits that ours have seemed to lack for years.

OT, OG and WR? Sure. But you know we will draft DT, DE and DB.

Previous to this season I really thought the Bears could make do with the WRs they have. Do I love them? No. But I honestly felt/feel that if the OL was even close to a good college line (they're not), then the WRs would have enough time to get open and make plays. Well, as it stands now, they do neither. The last game showed us that when Cutler gets time - which is infrequent - the WRs are simply not open. And when they are, they're not as good as they should be. The Knox experiment has been given enough chances; he doesn't have the mental makeup or the skills to be a starting slot. Realistically the Bears should have a #1 (presumably Roy Williams), a slot (Knox or Hester), a possession guy (Bennett or Sanz). What they do have is no #1 (because Roy is hurt and questionable as the #1), no real slot (because neither Hester nor Knox can get open like a slot should be able to), and 1.5 possession guys (because Bennett is hurt). WTF is Cutler supposed to do with that? That is, when he actually has time to do something.

Randy Moss has been looking at coming back. Jerry Angelo should be sending a private jet to bring him in here RIGHT NOW! There is absolutely NO downside to bringing him in. NONE! He is better on his worst day than anything this organization has EVER seen period. Angelo, get off you dead, lazy, stupid ass and get him signed. If you don't do something BOLD NOW, you are going to lose not only Forte, but Cutler as well. You watch, very shortly if this offense doesn't improve, we're going to hear Cutler's Agent chirping about a trade. And who in the hell could blame him?

100%.

How does this clown get a pass after years of horrible WR play?

I absolutely blame Drake. No, he doesn't have great talent to work with, but what really bothers me is we see WR fail in the same areas they seemingly have always struggled with. Our WRs don't get separation. They body catch rather than with their hands. They suck getting off press coverage. They rarely use their body well to shield the defender, often allowing the defender to have as good of position as the WR.

I have said for years our coaching at WR sucks. So many things like those listed above are considered coachable, but for us, they are areas we struggle year after year.

Great points jason.

Glad to see you're turening around in the WR area...

I agree...OL is still #1, WR 2. I still think a safety not drafted by JA is in order as well. Also, LB. Our depth there is horrid.

All else being equal our picks next year should be...

1-3 - OL, OL, WR, in any order depending on talent.

4 - S

5- OL, get more, more is better

6 - LB

7 - FB - we need better than Clutts

Out of that, we'd have 3 OL, 1 WR, 1 S, 1 LB, and 1 FB. I could definiltey live with that. Especially if someone other than JA is drafting.

Spot on...

Randy Moss has been looking at coming back. Jerry Angelo should be sending a private jet to bring him in here RIGHT NOW! There is absolutely NO downside to bringing him in. NONE! He is better on his worst day than anything this organization has EVER seen period. Angelo, get off you dead, lazy, stupid ass and get him signed. If you don't do something BOLD NOW, you are going to lose not only Forte, but Cutler as well. You watch, very shortly if this offense doesn't improve, we're going to hear Cutler's Agent chirping about a trade. And who in the hell could blame him?

WR Should defintely be our #1 priority next offseason in the draft. Especially if we end up picking in the teens or god forbid the top 10. I'm so sick and tired of watching this same group of WR's every year, it's time for some fresh blood. If we can get a potential #1 WR in the draft this year, we have to go for it with no questions asked. What our offense lacks is weapons. I mean, legit weapons. It's been an absolute crime what we've made Jay Cutler work with in this offense. You look at just about every single team in the league and you can pin point one or two guys that you really have to worry about on the offensive side of the ball in the passing game. Is anyone really scared of Devin Hester catching 90 balls are going over 1000 yards in a season? How about Johnny Knox? Roy Williams? He hasn't done it since 06. You see where I'm getting at? Hester and Knox are both big play threats because of their speed but it only happens in spurts throughout a season. If we can get our hands on a #1 receiver he not only makes our offense better, but he makes Jay Cutler better and Vice Versa.

Great points jason.

Glad to see you're turening around in the WR area...

I agree...OL is still #1, WR 2. I still think a safety not drafted by JA is in order as well. Also, LB. Our depth there is horrid.

All else being equal our picks next year should be...

1-3 - OL, OL, WR, in any order depending on talent.

4 - S

5- OL, get more, more is better

6 - LB

7 - FB - we need better than Clutts

Out of that, we'd have 3 OL, 1 WR, 1 S, 1 LB, and 1 FB. I could definiltey live with that. Especially if someone other than JA is drafting.

Totally Agree. The 2 biggest priorities need to be OL and WR. I think Harris and Merriweather might be a good tandem, but Steltz and, possibly, Wright need to go. Steltz is not good at all. But with Harris and M-weather, I would bump the safety to 5 and get another OL w/ 4.