jason

1. The Cardinals suck.

2. The Cardinals know they suck.

3. The Cardinals have one chip to bargain with: Larry Fitzgerald

4. The Cardinals need to rebuild more than one position

5. The Bears need a WR

6. Fitzgerald is one of the best WRs in the NFL

7. Fitzgerald fits almost exactly what the Bears lack

8. Fitzgerald is unequivocally better than the chances and risks taken with a first round pick

So why not offer the Cardinals next year's first round pick for Larry Fitzgerald? Why wouldn't that work? Why would they not take the offer, or at least make a cheap counter-offer? Maybe a 1st and a 5th gets the deal done. If so, I say this happens in the amount of time it takes JA to rub the haze out of his eyes and wipe the perpetual drool from his bottom lip.

I'm sold. I'm just not sure we have the GM to pull it off....

1. The Cardinals suck.

5. The Bears need a WR

8. Fitzgerald is unequivocally better than the chances and risks taken with a first round pick

So why not offer the Cardinals next year's first round pick for Larry Fitzgerald? Why wouldn't that work? Why would they not take the offer, or at least make a cheap counter-offer? Maybe a 1st and a 5th gets the deal done. If so, I say this happens in the amount of time it takes JA to rub the haze out of his eyes and wipe the perpetual drool from his bottom lip.

If the Cardinals would take a mid to late first round pick for Fitz, I imagine the Bears would have had that done already. Along with several other teams.

Up until recently (i.e. this past week), I think the Cardinals were under the mistaken impression they were on their way up. Now, however, they realize they need more than a few pieces.

Up until recently (i.e. this past week), I think the Cardinals were under the mistaken impression they were on their way up. Now, however, they realize they need more than a few pieces.

To make thia work there would have to be a pick swap (3rd) in there and some cash to off set the contract and we are talking about two of the perrennial low balling franchises.Then there is the escalating of of Fitzgerald's bonus money if the CBA is like the previous deal. When a player is traded with deferred bonus money owed it would escalate to that season.I can't see the Cardinals doing that so that is why it wouldn't work.

Guest TerraTor

actually only need to lose one piece in Kevin Kolb...

I was under the impression jason meant this coming off-season...

Oh. There's a lot time between now and then. I also can't imagine Arizona deciding to unload him one year after signing him to such a huge deal not to mention only wanting one first rounder if they did consider trading him. If they were to unload him in an effort to rebuild, I would think they would be looking for at least two firsts and a third.

LOL... this really falls into the fantasy football category. Do you think AZ is going to give up the main player putting fans in the seats? The Cards are more than one player away but despite their record they aren't totally bereft of talent. They may be in need of some new coaching along with some new players, Kolb being one of them to go. That old adage about the gap between the top and bottom in the NFL isn't as much as you might think is true here. Ask Indianapolis fans. Ask New Orleans fans how they feel about St Louis or how Baltimore feels about Jacksonville. Or even how Baltimore felt having to come from behind against these same Cardinals?

I tend to agree. Had they not re-upped him, then I'd say there was a chance.

Oh. There's a lot time between now and then. I also can't imagine Arizona deciding to unload him one year after signing him to such a huge deal not to mention only wanting one first rounder if they did consider trading him. If they were to unload him in an effort to rebuild, I would think they would be looking for at least two firsts and a third.

LOL... this really falls into the fantasy football category. Do you think AZ is going to give up the main player putting fans in the seats? The Cards are more than one player away but despite their record they aren't totally bereft of talent. They may be in need of some new coaching along with some new players, Kolb being one of them to go. That old adage about the gap between the top and bottom in the NFL isn't as much as you might think is true here. Ask Indianapolis fans. Ask New Orleans fans how they feel about St Louis or how Baltimore feels about Jacksonville. Or even how Baltimore felt having to come from behind against these same Cardinals?

I don't think it's as ridiculous as you seem to think.

If they could replace Fitzgerald with an extra 1st round draft pick, or more, they could easily sell their fanbase on a new beginning. A new direction. Suppose they picked up a stud OC or DC and picked two or three players specifically for that coach's scheme?

The Cardinals are multiple pieces away from being a consistently competitive team. Pulling a rabbit out of a hatt a few times a year doesn't make a team good. The are widely thought of as one of the worst 5 teams in the NFL this year.

The primary drawback to this sort of deal is monetary, not otherwise.

I don't think it's as ridiculous as you seem to think.

If they could replace Fitzgerald with an extra 1st round draft pick, or more, they could easily sell their fanbase on a new beginning. A new direction. Suppose they picked up a stud OC or DC and picked two or three players specifically for that coach's scheme?

The Cardinals are multiple pieces away from being a consistently competitive team. Pulling a rabbit out of a hatt a few times a year doesn't make a team good. The are widely thought of as one of the worst 5 teams in the NFL this year.

The primary drawback to this sort of deal is monetary, not otherwise.

Assuming that you can make the case that Arizona might consider dealing Fitz, what makes you think that there wouldn't be a complete feeding frenzy in which the Bears simply can't offer as good a deal as another team? I can't see us offering more than one 1st rounder, and ours is going to be late in the round - along with corresponding later picks in each round.

So I suppose I could buy a possible scenario where the Cards deal Fitz, but I can't see a scenario where the Bears make the deal over another team - and I can't imagine the Bears taking on Fitz' contract either. And by saying that, I'm not saying the Bears are cheap, I'm saying his contract is that ridiculous.

Just going back to the Fitz contract again, Arizona dealing him one year after signing him to a new deal doesn't make sense. Here's how it breaks down:

2011 $10 mil signing bonus, $8 mil roster bonus, $2 mil salary, and $250k workout bonus

2012 $5 mil salary, $6 mil roster bonus

2013 $5 mil salary, $10 mil option bonus

2014 $12.75 mil salary

2015 $8 mil salary, $8 mil roster bonus

2016 $15 mil salary

2017 $14.75 salary

2017 $14.75 salary

I don't see how the Cards would even consider dealing him after they gave him so much upfront and his annual cost drops to only $11 mil for next season. I could see them dealing him after 2012 to avoid the next big payment, but not after the first big payment before a season that they have already partially paid for in advance.

1. The Cardinals suck.

5. The Bears need a WR

if the Cardinals were interested in that deal, then i would think a team like the Patriots would be in on that deal as well. Pats have 2 #1s, 2 #2s, a 3rd, and a 4th as well as other picks...they would certainly trump what the bears would offer with a 1st and a 3rd.

I hear what you are saying, but it is not going to happen.

if the Cardinals were interested in that deal, then i would think a team like the Patriots would be in on that deal as well. Pats have 2 #1s, 2 #2s, a 3rd, and a 4th as well as other picks...they would certainly trump what the bears would offer with a 1st and a 3rd.

I hear what you are saying, but it is not going to happen.

That's an excellent point. Although I'm not sure how many teams would be interested in the Fitz contract. Granted, the percentage would get smaller over time, but tying up 9% of your cap on one guy hasn't proven to be an effective way to build a solid team. Just look at the Colts without Manning this year.

That's an excellent point. Although I'm not sure how many teams would be interested in the Fitz contract. Granted, the percentage would get smaller over time, but tying up 9% of your cap on one guy hasn't proven to be an effective way to build a solid team. Just look at the Colts without Manning this year.

The Patriots already have a guy taking up the same %age of the cap as Manning.

The Patriots already have a guy taking up the same %age of the cap as Manning.

Actually they don't. Brady's contract is structured much, much differently. For instance, Brady only makes $9.75 mil this year while Manning is making roughly $24 mil this year. Brady's numbers don't get much bigger until 2013 when the cap will be much bigger too.

I will say this though, Fitz' contract wouldn't be too bad for a QB, but with their needing 2 new OL (according to someone in this thread) and it's dependence on the QB to get the ball in the same hemisphere so he can catch it, it just looks like a waste of money until they get those things.

Assuming that you can make the case that Arizona might consider dealing Fitz, what makes you think that there wouldn't be a complete feeding frenzy in which the Bears simply can't offer as good a deal as another team? I can't see us offering more than one 1st rounder, and ours is going to be late in the round - along with corresponding later picks in each round.

So I suppose I could buy a possible scenario where the Cards deal Fitz, but I can't see a scenario where the Bears make the deal over another team - and I can't imagine the Bears taking on Fitz' contract either. And by saying that, I'm not saying the Bears are cheap, I'm saying his contract is that ridiculous.

Just going back to the Fitz contract again, Arizona dealing him one year after signing him to a new deal doesn't make sense. Here's how it breaks down:

2011 $10 mil signing bonus, $8 mil roster bonus, $2 mil salary, and $250k workout bonus

2012 $5 mil salary, $6 mil roster bonus

2013 $5 mil salary, $10 mil option bonus

2014 $12.75 mil salary

2015 $8 mil salary, $8 mil roster bonus

2016 $15 mil salary

2017 $14.75 salary

2017 $14.75 salary

I don't see how the Cards would even consider dealing him after they gave him so much upfront and his annual cost drops to only $11 mil for next season. I could see them dealing him after 2012 to avoid the next big payment, but not after the first big payment before a season that they have already partially paid for in advance.

That's the reason I started this thread as a question rather than a statement.

The Cardinals are 2 good OL away from being a playoff team. Their OL is the worst in football.

Come on now. We've been talking about the Bears' shitpile OL for several years now. The best I can compromise is that the Cardinals' OL is tied for worst with the Bears', and that's being incredibly lenient on my part.

Come on now. We've been talking about the Bears' shitpile OL for several years now. The best I can compromise is that the Cardinals' OL is tied for worst with the Bears', and that's being incredibly lenient on my part.

Watch a Cardinals game and you'll be thankful that a piece of trash like Webb, and then Carimi/Louis are the Bears OT's.

Sorry but Matt Forte is not having a career year behind the worst Oline in the NFL.