Noots' Notes Game 11: 25-20 Loss at Oakland

Noots

hit it right on.

hanie has a whole week to get ready again, for a potentially easier team, and won't have all the spotlights on him causing him stress and intimidation. i expect to see him perform much better against the chiefs.

and whether orton or palko start, the qb position should be weak given orton (time) and palko (talent) weaknesses.

hanie - 18-26 212yds 2td 2int

bears 24 chiefs 13

I always wondered if I would see it as you do when I'm at the game.

When I watch on TV, I think your ratings are pretty close to accurate. But having been at this game, I can tell you the OL grade is too high. You know I would focus attention there, and there was consistent pressure on passing plays, with at least one player failing consistently. Louis might deserve the B- (or A+) for his effort, but the entire OL does not.

As for your analysis of the throwback screen, I just have to disagree. Yes it was critical as far as impacting the game, but it wasn't really a bad call. It's similar to a play-action rollout, in that when it works it's a wide open TD. When it doesn't, the QB gets demolished. As I noted in my postgame thoughts, the play was designed well, and nearly the entire Oakland defense was on the other side of the field. When the play was developing I was convinced it was a TD. The problem, of course, is that Webb completely blew his assignment and let one guy run right past. Easy 5 yard difference when Webb initially disengaged from this DL assignment, and yet he didn't even flinch towards the guy. Webb has bad vision, bad blocking, bad timing, and bad feet. He's a "get off the bus" player. Look at the replay and you'll see all of what I've said is true. This is one of those times when a Lovie-ism is accurate: "We need to execute better." The call worked; the player execution didn't.

As for your analysis of the throwback screen, I just have to disagree. Yes it was critical as far as impacting the game, but it wasn't really a bad call. It's similar to a play-action rollout, in that when it works it's a wide open TD. When it doesn't, the QB gets demolished. As I noted in my postgame thoughts, the play was designed well, and nearly the entire Oakland defense was on the other side of the field. When the play was developing I was convinced it was a TD. The problem, of course, is that Webb completely blew his assignment and let one guy run right past. Easy 5 yard difference when Webb initially disengaged from this DL assignment, and yet he didn't even flinch towards the guy. Webb has bad vision, bad blocking, bad timing, and bad feet. He's a "get off the bus" player. Look at the replay and you'll see all of what I've said is true. This is one of those times when a Lovie-ism is accurate: "We need to execute better." The call worked; the player execution didn't.

Jason I have to agree with you about Webb and I think Moose Johnson said during the game that Webb has the most penalties of any offensive lineman in the NFL. His false start in the Raider game makes 12 I believe. So he is averaging a penalty per game. Its too late in the year to do anything about it now but come next TC I'd like to see Louis on the blindside or an early round draft pick. If Webb and Spencer become backups that is a good thing because they would be a depth upgrade over Omayale.

As far as the screen call goes we know for a fact that it has been called twice and that it was not " executed properly" twice. IMO if I'm going to try a misdirection play at that point in the redzone, why not run the Wildcat package with Earl Bennett taking the snap and do that inside handoff to either Barber or Forte or Knox? So many times we see fans criticize a play call but will not come up with the play they would have called based on what the Bears have been doing since the preseason. This play would have made sense because even if it failed the FG was still an option on the following down.

Could we see Carimi take the LT spot?

Jason I have to agree with you about Webb and I think Moose Johnson said during the game that Webb has the most penalties of any offensive lineman in the NFL. His false start in the Raider game makes 12 I believe. So he is averaging a penalty per game. Its too late in the year to do anything about it now but come next TC I'd like to see Louis on the blindside or an early round draft pick. If Webb and Spencer become backups that is a good thing because they would be a depth upgrade over Omayale.

As far as the screen call goes we know for a fact that it has been called twice and that it was not " executed properly" twice. IMO if I'm going to try a misdirection play at that point in the redzone, why not run the Wildcat package with Earl Bennett taking the snap and do that inside handoff to either Barber or Forte or Knox? So many times we see fans criticize a play call but will not come up with the play they would have called based on what the Bears have been doing since the preseason. This play would have made sense because even if it failed the FG was still an option on the following down.

Could we see Carimi take the LT spot?

i certainly would like to see him given a shot at the spot he PLAYED in college at. if he is not quick enough to play the position then move him back to RT.

if it played out that he could fill in the LT position better than average we would not have to worry about a high #1 pick to fill the spot which is a major plus for one of the premier spots in the NFL to find good players for.

i certainly would like to see him given a shot at the spot he PLAYED in college at. if he is not quick enough to play the position then move him back to RT.

if it played out that he could fill in the LT position better than average we would not have to worry about a high #1 pick to fill the spot which is a major plus for one of the premier spots in the NFL to find good players for.

I would rather get another LT prospect in the 1st round of the draft. Carimi is more of a protypical RT. He and Louis on the right side develops an identity of physical nastiness. I don't want to lose that.