Are We Better?

Mongo3451

So Iv'e been thinking a lot about this FA offseason and made comments on how I would do things differently. Seems it was unpopular as an opinion. So, I'm having my coffee and thinking out loud. Here's my position by position thoughts on where we are.

QB, IMO is more than good. I was OK with McCown and Enderle as backups. That being said, I feel better about QB than EVER. QB is definately upgraded, with a sidenote of cost.

WR was a huge position of need. I am more than happy with Marshall. Cutler is putting his clout to work with team and I really trust him if he vouches for someone. I'd be awesome to see Knox as the speed compliment to Marshall, but I don't see it this year. Roy and Johnny missing does not come close to the upgrade from Marshall. WR is hugely upgraded.

TE will be better through the subtraction of Martz. I thought Davis was dependable at best, so if he gets 20 more targets this year, it will be OK with me. TE is a push leaning toward slightly better.

OL. Well, here is where it gets interesting. IMO, we have done nothing. But... We have improved with the dismissal of Martz. The biggest thing that will help this OL is another year of continuity. It is the most important thing for an OL.(more important than pure talent) This is a young group with the exception of Garza. The talent level still needs to improve, but they will move out of the bottom third this year.

RB. Depends on Forte's attitude. If he comes in good, we will be really good. Bush makes us better, but youth or Bell will need added to complete this unit. Like Clutts at FB. Deeper and better with Bush.

DE. Peppers and Idonije are one year older. Hope Wooten gets better. So far, we are worse off. We really need a hit in the draft.

DT. Lost Adams doesn't hurt. Okoye might. Hopefully, Paea can step up and show why we traded up for him. So far, I haven't seen much.

(I'm really worried about our DL. It's the key to our D and it's really in need of a boost)

LB. Url and Briggs are not getting any younger with little talent in the depth chart. This unit needs a youth infusion. The big two will not be great too much longer. Worse. (see the trend)

CB. I'm indifferent about what is going on here. Not thrilled about the pickups, but think a change was needed from Bowman and Graham. Slightly better, but needs a little youth to stick this year.

S. Signing Steltz was huge. I thought he played very well last year. Conte showed that he is a diamond in the rough. If Wright can stay out of the training room this position will be a major upgrade through youth and added experience. Need a vet or rookie to come and compete. Better

ST. Better, through free agency. Don't really agree with it, but it wil remain a strength of our team.

All told, we are going to be better on O, but not as good on D. The key will be the playcalling of Tice. If he can establish a ball controll offense to keep our old defense off the field, we will be a better more solid team. If we break even in time of possession, we will have to grind out wins.

Prediction. For some reason, I have some unfounded faith in Tice. He seems like he knows what he's doing and has the conviction to make it happen. I like our chances.

We are better and have not drafted yet. But, we MUST hit on a couple of front 7 defenders to sustain.

So Iv'e been thinking a lot about this FA offseason and made comments on how I would do things differently. Seems it was unpopular as an opinion. So, I'm having my coffee and thinking out loud. Here's my position by position thoughts on where we are.

QB, IMO is more than good. I was OK with McCown and Enderle as backups. That being said, I feel better about QB than EVER. QB is definately upgraded, with a sidenote of cost.

WR was a huge position of need. I am more than happy with Marshall. Cutler is putting his clout to work with team and I really trust him if he vouches for someone. I'd be awesome to see Knox as the speed compliment to Marshall, but I don't see it this year. Roy and Johnny missing does not come close to the upgrade from Marshall. WR is hugely upgraded.

TE will be better through the subtraction of Martz. I thought Davis was dependable at best, so if he gets 20 more targets this year, it will be OK with me. TE is a push leaning toward slightly better.

OL. Well, here is where it gets interesting. IMO, we have done nothing. But... We have improved with the dismissal of Martz. The biggest thing that will help this OL is another year of continuity. It is the most important thing for an OL.(more important than pure talent) This is a young group with the exception of Garza. The talent level still needs to improve, but they will move out of the bottom third this year.

RB. Depends on Forte's attitude. If he comes in good, we will be really good. Bush makes us better, but youth or Bell will need added to complete this unit. Like Clutts at FB. Deeper and better with Bush.

DE. Peppers and Idonije are one year older. Hope Wooten gets better. So far, we are worse off. We really need a hit in the draft.

DT. Lost Adams doesn't hurt. Okoye might. Hopefully, Paea can step up and show why we traded up for him. So far, I haven't seen much.

(I'm really worried about our DL. It's the key to our D and it's really in need of a boost)

LB. Url and Briggs are not getting any younger with little talent in the depth chart. This unit needs a youth infusion. The big two will not be great too much longer. Worse. (see the trend)

CB. I'm indifferent about what is going on here. Not thrilled about the pickups, but think a change was needed from Bowman and Graham. Slightly better, but needs a little youth to stick this year.

S. Signing Steltz was huge. I thought he played very well last year. Conte showed that he is a diamond in the rough. If Wright can stay out of the training room this position will be a major upgrade through youth and added experience. Need a vet or rookie to come and compete. Better

ST. Better, through free agency. Don't really agree with it, but it wil remain a strength of our team.

All told, we are going to be better on O, but not as good on D. The key will be the playcalling of Tice. If he can establish a ball controll offense to keep our old defense off the field, we will be a better more solid team. If we break even in time of possession, we will have to grind out wins.

Prediction. For some reason, I have some unfounded faith in Tice. He seems like he knows what he's doing and has the conviction to make it happen. I like our chances.

We are better and have not drafted yet. But, we MUST hit on a couple of front 7 defenders to sustain.

If you really look at what we have done so far I would sat yes we are better than last year.

QB=hell yes we got one starter and more experience as backups

RB= yes All everything Forte and Bush who can do the same thingsas Fotre and Bell in the 3 slot

WR= Yes got better by subtraction, we let Williams go and signed the Beast. Thomas & Weems. If we get (Hill or Quick)another one we are set.

TE= yes I think wiith the exit of the Martz system Davis and company well be better, by the way Tice will use them

OL= No, we got rid of Frank Q but we still need to improve at the LT and RG spots.

DE= No Izzy & Wooten dont impress me. We need a force on the other side.

DT= No We let two of our guys go so how can you be better

LB = yes we still have the two Pro Bowler...but we need to start getting younger guys as backups

CB= yes Graham and Bowman are gone so the two new guys Hayden and Wilhite should come to play

S=Even we really need someone to push the two we have (Conte and Wright) maybe a guy like Barron from Alabama(wishing)

ST =Yes we signed one beast from the 49ers, a pro bowl player from the Falcons and a Super Bowl champ

So what we really need in the dearft is a OT/OG, WR, DE,CB, LB, S but maybe not in that order. I say build the offense first so we can score more than the other guys, This will help the defense the most. We play very different on defense when we are ahead by 14-20 points rather than when we are tied or behind.

I pretty well agree with your evaluation. I think we have to look at this from Emerys point of view as new eyes doing the evaluation. The QB position was a disaster after Cutler, and I think we have been lucky with him being as healthy as he has considering the OLine. He improved that and backup RB cost us a playoff trip. So he got us better there, and if Forte holds out can carry the load. You cant bring in good players without spending some money so they cost what they cost. Marshall was huge, and he got that done. I think he sees what we see and will get some additions to the OL yet in FAgency, as he has looked at Herrea and Steinbach, and I still think he could sign one on the cheap. Then moving Williams to OT and drafting one in one of the first few rounds. I would have prefered a higher priority on the OL but were not done yet. The DBackfield needs more help, and we will add in the draft. LB absolutely, but will add one and try to get by one more year. DL, yes yes yes , will need both a DE and DT and will address them in the draft. I think we draft a DE,DT,LB,CB,OT and WR in the draft. I still think we add a vet SS but the tinkering will be done after the draft as we obtain players, we will cut some and free up more money. I dont think you can fix everything in one year, and now are a better team, but the top 4 draft picks have to hit and at positions of need. We didnt have big money to spend as some people on this site suggested, but have did well with what had to play with. The draft is his stength and will tell us a lot about Emery.

If you really look at what we have done so far I would sat yes we are better than last year.

QB=hell yes we got one starter and more experience as backups

RB= yes All everything Forte and Bush who can do the same thingsas Fotre and Bell in the 3 slot

WR= Yes got better by subtraction, we let Williams go and signed the Beast. Thomas & Weems. If we get (Hill or Quick)another one we are set.

TE= yes I think wiith the exit of the Martz system Davis and company well be better, by the way Tice will use them

OL= No, we got rid of Frank Q but we still need to improve at the LT and RG spots.

DE= No Izzy & Wooten dont impress me. We need a force on the other side.

DT= No We let two of our guys go so how can you be better

LB = yes we still have the two Pro Bowler...but we need to start getting younger guys as backups

CB= yes Graham and Bowman are gone so the two new guys Hayden and Wilhite should come to play

S=Even we really need someone to push the two we have (Conte and Wright) maybe a guy like Barron from Alabama(wishing)

ST =Yes we signed one beast from the 49ers, a pro bowl player from the Falcons and a Super Bowl champ

So what we really need in the dearft is a OT/OG, WR, DE,CB, LB, S but maybe not in that order. I say build the offense first so we can score more than the other guys, This will help the defense the most. We play very different on defense when we are ahead by 14-20 points rather than when we are tied or behind.

Barron would cost us a first round pick, so that wont happen and we will be drafting a DT, unless they in some way could still get Okoye to sign.