The IFL doesn't even want TO anymore...

madlithuanian

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...-terrell-owens/

IFL team dumps Terrell Owens

Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

Receiver Terrell Owens can’t get back in to the NFL. And now he’s out of the IFL.

The Allen Wranglers have announced that Owens has been released.

It’s hardly an amicable split. The statement takes multiple shots at Owens for not having the right level of commitment.

“Our fans are amongst the best in the league and it is impossible to maintain a player when even our fans notice and comment on a player’s lack of effort both on and off the field,” owner Jon Frankel said. “We need to do what is best for this team, our fans and this community.”

Team president and co-owner Tommy Benizio chimed in, too. With gloves fully off.

“It is difficult to look other players on this team in the eyes and tell them that being a team player is important . . . that giving it your all on the field every night is our expectation, when another member of this team is not operating by these standards,” Benizio said. ”The proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back for Mr. Owens was his no-show to a scheduled appearance at a local children’s hospital with other Wrangler players and coaches. It is not the desire of the Allen Wranglers’ organization to disappoint fans by having our most notable player miss a scheduled appearance.”

Owens signed a much-hyped deal with the Wranglers, giving him a piece of the team. But it paid Owens only for home games. His participation in road games hinged on the willingness of the other team to sweeten the pot.

For the season, Owens appeared in eight games, catching 35 passes for 420 yards and 10 touchdowns.

And so likely ends the football career of Terrell Owens. Unless he can successfully find a way to blame this on the media. Or at least to blame someone other than himself.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/...-terrell-owens/

IFL team dumps Terrell Owens

Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2012, 6:50 PM EDT

Getty Images

Receiver Terrell Owens can’t get back in to the NFL. And now he’s out of the IFL.

The Allen Wranglers have announced that Owens has been released.

It’s hardly an amicable split. The statement takes multiple shots at Owens for not having the right level of commitment.

“Our fans are amongst the best in the league and it is impossible to maintain a player when even our fans notice and comment on a player’s lack of effort both on and off the field,” owner Jon Frankel said. “We need to do what is best for this team, our fans and this community.”

Team president and co-owner Tommy Benizio chimed in, too. With gloves fully off.

“It is difficult to look other players on this team in the eyes and tell them that being a team player is important . . . that giving it your all on the field every night is our expectation, when another member of this team is not operating by these standards,” Benizio said. ”The proverbial straw that broke the camel’s back for Mr. Owens was his no-show to a scheduled appearance at a local children’s hospital with other Wrangler players and coaches. It is not the desire of the Allen Wranglers’ organization to disappoint fans by having our most notable player miss a scheduled appearance.”

Owens signed a much-hyped deal with the Wranglers, giving him a piece of the team. But it paid Owens only for home games. His participation in road games hinged on the willingness of the other team to sweeten the pot.

For the season, Owens appeared in eight games, catching 35 passes for 420 yards and 10 touchdowns.

And so likely ends the football career of Terrell Owens. Unless he can successfully find a way to blame this on the media. Or at least to blame someone other than himself.

whaaahahahahahaha, typical Owens crap.

Haven't logged in for a bit - the news cycle is tired and the arguments are old. But since this was directly addressed to me...

This isn't completely about him being a bad guy. Sure, he missed a scheduled appearance at a hospital. That's bad. But I think this is also about an owner who wasn't happy with the contract he signed, and probably drafted, because it wasn't the kind of deal he wishes he would have made at the beginning.

Owens signed a much-hyped deal with the Wranglers, giving him a piece of the team. But it paid Owens only for home games

Let me know the next time you have a contract for a strict 40-hour work week and the boss wants you to come in for another 40 hours of overtime but not get paid for it. (And before you reply, yes, I know there are differences, and I'm sure that everyone who ever posted on a message board will say they work 20-hours overtime every week, walking to work uphill, both ways, in snow, etc., etc.)

But since we're on the subject, check out this article in which the GM for the Wranglers - who just happens to be Drew Pearson, a person whose status, history, and reputation pretty much makes his opinion undebateable - gives his opinion about TO.

"It's very difficult to get back into the NFL, especially at that age, to me, there's no question he could play in the NFL. When I see these receivers that are playing, there is no question Terrell could still play in the NFL. But it's not what happens between the lines with Terrell, unfortunately. It's how he handles things outside the lines."

And that has been my stance the entire time. He can still play; there is no question. The reason he's not in the NFL is almost exclusively about his baggage.

Almost? ;)

Yes, I chose my words carefully. He's obviously not the guy who will put up stats like his ridiculous decade from 1998 to 2008:

Per Season: 14+ games per year, 77 rec., 1151 yds, 11.5 TDs

Per Game: 5.4 rec, 80.6 yds, 0.8 TDs

So it's "almost exclusively about baggage," since he is not going to be the number one WR in the NFL. But to continue to pretend he can't play, despite what Drew Pearson says and despite TO's last season with the Bengals when he still tore the league a new asshole (14 games, 72 rec, 982 yds, 9 TDs...which is still 5.14 rec, 70 yds, and 0.64 TDs per game), is utterly ridiculous.

TO can play, and can play better than a great many of WRs in the NFL. It's just a matter of whether a team wants to deal with his baggage.

I couldn't resist dragging you into this!

Haven't logged in for a bit - the news cycle is tired and the arguments are old. But since this was directly addressed to me...

This isn't completely about him being a bad guy. Sure, he missed a scheduled appearance at a hospital. That's bad. But I think this is also about an owner who wasn't happy with the contract he signed, and probably drafted, because it wasn't the kind of deal he wishes he would have made at the beginning.

Owens signed a much-hyped deal with the Wranglers, giving him a piece of the team. But it paid Owens only for home games

Let me know the next time you have a contract for a strict 40-hour work week and the boss wants you to come in for another 40 hours of overtime but not get paid for it. (And before you reply, yes, I know there are differences, and I'm sure that everyone who ever posted on a message board will say they work 20-hours overtime every week, walking to work uphill, both ways, in snow, etc., etc.)

But since we're on the subject, check out this article in which the GM for the Wranglers - who just happens to be Drew Pearson, a person whose status, history, and reputation pretty much makes his opinion undebateable - gives his opinion about TO.

"It's very difficult to get back into the NFL, especially at that age, to me, there's no question he could play in the NFL. When I see these receivers that are playing, there is no question Terrell could still play in the NFL. But it's not what happens between the lines with Terrell, unfortunately. It's how he handles things outside the lines."

And that has been my stance the entire time. He can still play; there is no question. The reason he's not in the NFL is almost exclusively about his baggage.

The fact that TO is not in the NFL is all on him. He created his 'baggage' and he has to own it.

Peace :dabears

Agreed, but his absence from the NFL is not due to a lack of physical ability or talent, as some have so incorrectly claimed. Teams are just weighing the baggage against the talent (i.e. off-field vs. on-field) and deciding the equation doesn't work out in their favor. That's fair, and TO is the blame. I've said this all along. I just get tired of hearing the naysayers talk about how the Bears have needed a WR year after year after year, and then when TO is available literally year after year after year, they don't want him because he's not a Boy Scout. There are WRs who fit the mold of uber-talented and model citizen, but as a group they are generally more animated or difficult to work with. TO's stats say he can still play in the NFL. Drew Pearson says he can still play in the NFL. Period. Now that the Bears have Marshall it's moot, but in years past it wasn't. To be so adamantly against TO on the Bears, while at the same time claiming the majority of the Bears problems on offense are related to a weak WR corp, is just contradictory unless a person is averse to all risk or chance. TO could have been the solution to the Bears problems for several years, but it's much more easy as an organization to take less risks, perpetually hang around .500 for a decade, string along a fiercely loyal fan base, and never go for the kill. It's precisely the reason we all shit ourselves when the Jay Cutler and Julius Peppers deals happened; we couldn't believe it.

Agreed, but his absence from the NFL is not due to a lack of physical ability or talent, as some have so incorrectly claimed. Teams are just weighing the baggage against the talent (i.e. off-field vs. on-field) and deciding the equation doesn't work out in their favor. That's fair, and TO is the blame. I've said this all along. I just get tired of hearing the naysayers talk about how the Bears have needed a WR year after year after year, and then when TO is available literally year after year after year, they don't want him because he's not a Boy Scout. There are WRs who fit the mold of uber-talented and model citizen, but as a group they are generally more animated or difficult to work with. TO's stats say he can still play in the NFL. Drew Pearson says he can still play in the NFL. Period. Now that the Bears have Marshall it's moot, but in years past it wasn't. To be so adamantly against TO on the Bears, while at the same time claiming the majority of the Bears problems on offense are related to a weak WR corp, is just contradictory unless a person is averse to all risk or chance. TO could have been the solution to the Bears problems for several years, but it's much more easy as an organization to take less risks, perpetually hang around .500 for a decade, string along a fiercely loyal fan base, and never go for the kill. It's precisely the reason we all shit ourselves when the Jay Cutler and Julius Peppers deals happened; we couldn't believe it.

Dude, "not a Boy Scout"??? He doesn't need to be a model citizen. TO is a locker room cancer - end of story. This is why, even if he still has talent, he is not in the league.

Dude, "not a Boy Scout"??? He doesn't need to be a model citizen. TO is a locker room cancer - end of story. This is why, even if he still has talent, he is not in the league.

I think he's got a bad attitude, but I also think some of this is overblown over the course of his 15 or 16 years. And he's apparently a great teammate while on the field.

Aside from that, it still says nothing about his athletic ability...which was my entire point, and my thought process as to why the Bears - a team so desperate for WR help for multiple years - should have taken a flyer on him.

TO has always been a tool even when he was with the 9ers and prolific.Just think back when Rice was playing his last game with the team and he set a record for receptions in a game against the Bears and kept demanding the ball.He has always been about himself and the fact that he is being declared a dead beat dad which I can relate to since when I got a divorce my child support came directly out of my check wherever I worked. Again talking about this is a moot point but obviously the offense now is predicated on pleasing Jay and getting TO would not have been pleasing to Jay or the previous OC Martz. His system never was about featuring anyone at the WR position.If you look at Marshall Faulk's numbers in the system and Mattt Forte's you can see what position flourished. TO would have demanded the ball and the most important is Cutler would not have meshed with him.

TO has always been a tool even when he was with the 9ers and prolific.Just think back when Rice was playing his last game with the team and he set a record for receptions in a game against the Bears and kept demanding the ball.He has always been about himself and the fact that he is being declared a dead beat dad which I can relate to since when I got a divorce my child support came directly out of my check wherever I worked. Again talking about this is a moot point but obviously the offense now is predicated on pleasing Jay and getting TO would not have been pleasing to Jay or the previous OC Martz. His system never was about featuring anyone at the WR position.If you look at Marshall Faulk's numbers in the system and Mattt Forte's you can see what position flourished. TO would have demanded the ball and the most important is Cutler would not have meshed with him.

You don't think Cutler would have meshed with TO? Considering TO has made every offense he's ever been on better, and the fact that Cutler was openly campaigning for more WRs even after Marshall was acquired, I think he'd jibe quite well with TO. Other than off-the-field stuff, I think Cutler would love the idea of throwing to TO instead of Sanzenbacher.