Hester and Url

Connorbear

The more I see McClellin dropping into coverage and spying QBs the more I believe we may have Urlacher's replacement on the roster.The Lovie 2 has morphed over the years into what we currently see now and on a couple of plays they rushed only 3 guys and Shea was in coverage against the Panthers.When I saw highlights of McClellin during the draft evaluation period he seemed to play a position similar to Urlacher at Boise. Kind of a "Rover". I wouldn't be shocked if that happened.

As for Hester, the new kickoff rules and the Bears not being able to use Hester in a manner like the Vikings use Harvin or the Chiefs use McCluster and the packers use Cobb who are all similar players makes him less valuable to this team.Until they implement this unknown "Hester Package" he basically has been invisible since the Cowboys game. I put this squarely on Tice who seems to only call pass plays to Marshall and no one else.

I don't see Hester running away from anyone. He's still fast but not fast enough to pull away from players nor is he as elusive as he used to be.

I'm not sure what the Hester package is but typically when you have an elite player you design something for them to get 1on1 coverage where you expect them to break the first tackle and then make the big play. Even in those situations Hester gets tackled by the first defender.

I don't see Hester running away from anyone. He's still fast but not fast enough to pull away from players nor is he as elusive as he used to be.

I'm not sure what the Hester package is but typically when you have an elite player you design something for them to get 1on1 coverage where you expect them to break the first tackle and then make the big play. Even in those situations Hester gets tackled by the first defender.

Hester package hmmm, I think a Bush package would be more interesting. Seeing him run the wildcat with Forte and Hester in the backfield or split out wide.

How do think 49er fans felt? I love the Bears but in the end it is just sports. Even if they both leave they will always be Bears to me.

Peace :dabears

My best friend is a Niners fan. He's STILL bitter about it.

Just because I sympathize doesn't mean I want to empathize.

I have to agree with most everyone here in regards to Url and Hester for the 2013 season. Money is a factor with the salary cap and what teams are able to pay players. I truthfully am able to see Url giving the "Hometown" discount to stay and finish his career in Chicago. As someone else stated, Url does make pretty good money for his endorsements and I believe that Url wants to be mentioned post-career in the same context as Butkus and Singletary. Hester on the other hand may choose to leave and see how much more he maybe able to earn. The hard part for Hester in my view is that another team may truly believe that Hester is only a great return guy and not the WR that the Bears keep believing that Hester can be. It is going to be a interesting off season and we'll see what type of magic that Phil Emery is able to work to get everything done that still needs to be accomplished to continue to improve this team. Changes definitely are long past due as we have all talked about in regards to the offensive line. We have a franchise QB, RB and WR in place and need better pieces to the puzzle for TE and the entire OL.

I have to agree with most everyone here in regards to Url and Hester for the 2013 season. Money is a factor with the salary cap and what teams are able to pay players. I truthfully am able to see Url giving the "Hometown" discount to stay and finish his career in Chicago. As someone else stated, Url does make pretty good money for his endorsements and I believe that Url wants to be mentioned post-career in the same context as Butkus and Singletary. Hester on the other hand may choose to leave and see how much more he maybe able to earn. The hard part for Hester in my view is that another team may truly believe that Hester is only a great return guy and not the WR that the Bears keep believing that Hester can be. It is going to be a interesting off season and we'll see what type of magic that Phil Emery is able to work to get everything done that still needs to be accomplished to continue to improve this team. Changes definitely are long past due as we have all talked about in regards to the offensive line. We have a franchise QB, RB and WR in place and need better pieces to the puzzle for TE and the entire OL.

If Url and Hester are willing to give hometown discounts then I have no problem keeping them. My original point was I wouldn't pay either anywhere near what they had earned previously. They are too of my favorite all time players but they are not worth what they are making now.

Peace :dabears

If he wants to be signed to another big contract then at this point I'd prefer to use Hester's salary to fix the Oline. I don't think we'd lose that much on special teams returns with Weems and I don't see an impact worth worrying about at WR. I don't think Weems would do much differently (good or bad) than what we've seen from Hester so far but I also think if Knox is healthy next season then he's a lock to replace Hester. I'm not banking on that happening but the Bears have time to make this decision so they'll know how Knox is progressing early next year.

• 1 month later...