Offseason

Ed Hochuli 3:16

Sign em all! Lol..

But yeah.. Clady would be my obvious #1 choice if he ever hits the market (Which doesn't seem likely). Sounds like Jake Long really could become a free agent this year, but then the question becomes if he does, is that actually a bad thing? Why wouldn't Miami want to re-sign a perennial pro bowl player? Franchise LT's just don't come available because teams know how valuable it is to have one. I'd caution myself a little bit. He hasn't played very well this year, and it's obvious that his back isn't allowing him to play as well as he's accustomed to. If I'm the Bears, I do some heavy research and figure out if he's worth the risk.

Further more, if the Bears can come out of free agency with 2 starters on the offensive line, they have come out of it looking really good. You need at the very least 1 sure fire guy, and would be lucky to get 2. Then take one at some point in the draft and suddenly the line could be looking much better.

There are a few OL UFA's that will be out there in March.

OT

William Beatty

Branden Albert

Ryan Clady

Jake Long

Jermon Bushrod

OG

Kory Lichtensteiger

Andy Levitre

Kevin Boothe

Man, any one of the first 5 and one of the last 3 would look terrific on the Bears in September, no?

So you like Jake Long now? It seemed like you hated him a few weeks ago:

Jake Long has been horrendous this year. Not Carimi-horrendous or Webb-horrendous, but if you use Long's body of work, he's been nothing even close to himself after a back injury. He's not the guy I'd throw major money at.

and in the other thread you said you would rather have the Bears sign him:

Warford and Fisher would be a great top 2 picks, however, I'd rather see them sign Jake Long and use their 1st round pick to trade down and pick up an extra 3rd. With that, go OG-LB-TE and so on.

I'm confused, so you don't want the Bears to throw money at him, but you want them to sign him?

Now back to your topic, getting one from each group would be huge. If we could get 2, and at least draft another in the first few rounds we would be looking at almost a complete line overhaul in one offseason (which should've been done this last offseason).

Why wouldn't Miami want to re-sign a perennial pro bowl player? Franchise LT's just don't come available because teams know how valuable it is to have one.

The reason he might hit the market largely has to do with his expected tag salary. If they can't get a long term deal done then his tag number will be something ridiculous like 17 mil.

Seriously...sign them all.

Sign em all! Lol..

But yeah.. Clady would be my obvious #1 choice if he ever hits the market (Which doesn't seem likely). Sounds like Jake Long really could become a free agent this year, but then the question becomes if he does, is that actually a bad thing? Why wouldn't Miami want to re-sign a perennial pro bowl player? Franchise LT's just don't come available because teams know how valuable it is to have one. I'd caution myself a little bit. He hasn't played very well this year, and it's obvious that his back isn't allowing him to play as well as he's accustomed to. If I'm the Bears, I do some heavy research and figure out if he's worth the risk.

Further more, if the Bears can come out of free agency with 2 starters on the offensive line, they have come out of it looking really good. You need at the very least 1 sure fire guy, and would be lucky to get 2. Then take one at some point in the draft and suddenly the line could be looking much better.

So you like Jake Long now? It seemed like you hated him a few weeks ago:

and in the other thread you said you would rather have the Bears sign him:

I'm confused, so you don't want the Bears to throw money at him, but you want them to sign him?

Now back to your topic, getting one from each group would be huge. If we could get 2, and at least draft another in the first few rounds we would be looking at almost a complete line overhaul in one offseason (which should've been done this last offseason).

In this thread, I said sign ONE of the first FIVE. Not "sign Long" and then one of the three OG's.

The first time I said I wouldn't throw major money at Long because at the time, I wouldn't have. A lot was being made of his back and his play. Recently, however, he's been better and reports out of Miami say that Philbin wants his own guys in there and they want to save some cash for guys like Greg Jennings to help Tannehill.

So, it seems that at first, people were saying Miami is through with him because of his back and his play, but now it seems like maybe he and Philbin aren't the best of pals.

Still, I don't think I'd throw major cash at him, like I originally said. I'd give him $8-10m a year, but nothing insane, like $12m+ annually plus a huge guaranteed deal.

I'm also not sure how much cap room they will have. I believe I read somewhere it'll be anywhere from 12-15m, which is solid but I'd suspect then that they only extend Melton and let Urlacher/Hester walk and go into the season with Cutler on his final year.

All in all, Beatty/Levitre, Beatty/Lichtensteiger, Bushrod/Levitre, Bushrod/Lichtensteiger, Albert/Levitre, Albert/Lichtensteiger would be nice. Long will be too costly and no way Elway lets Manning's blindside leave.

Sadly, unless Peppers re-does his contract, it may be time to part ways. His impact has not been what it was... Age may have caught up. It'd imagine, barring something unusual, Emery wouldn't want to have so much money tied to so many aging players that aren't quite delivering what they've been used to..

So the big Q is...how much cap space will the Bears wind up with?

Urlacher and Hester are the guys they can clear...Peppers has a big bonus but you don't exactly want to lose him...

Sadly, unless Peppers re-does his contract, it may be time to part ways. His impact has not been what it was... Age may have caught up. It'd imagine, barring something unusual, Emery wouldn't want to have so much money tied to so many aging players that aren't quite delivering what they've been used to..

I actually think Pep has been very good. Teams can't run at him and his pressure has been better than what his sack total indicates.

We can't discount that Pep has played through plantar faciitis all year.

So the big Q is...how much cap space will the Bears wind up with?

Urlacher and Hester are the guys they can clear...Peppers has a big bonus but you don't exactly want to lose him...

I'm actually hoping the Bears just re-tool the roster around Cutler/Marshall/Forte next year. Am I the only person who regrets the Bears giving Forte the dollars he got?

Regardless- the defense will eventually need to be turned over....I feel our defense is the Celtics of the NFL only without the ring.