Alec Ogletree - Highlights

Guest TerraTor

Prove to us he is past his off the field issues. That's my biggest problem 2 suspensions is hard to swallow especially when 1 of those was drugs. I'll give u that he's got the talent to be special. In order to even think of drafting him we gotta do alot in FA 1st and then might even have to trade up to get him. I've seen a couple mocks where he goes top 10. Do u really want to move that far up to get him.

Guest TerraTor
Prove to us he is past his off the field issues. That's my biggest problem 2 suspensions is hard to swallow especially when 1 of those was drugs. I'll give u that he's got the talent to be special. In order to even think of drafting him we gotta do alot in FA 1st and then might even have to trade up to get him. I've seen a couple mocks where he goes top 10. Do u really want to move that far up to get him.

I just proved his on the field issues.

No way he goes Top10 with less games played and suspension stuff

Guest TerraTor
Then key is making sure we do enough in FA. I'm not taking him over an OL. My 1st priority is OL

I cant imagine if one of the big 3 is available, Emery doesnt jump all over him

Guest TerraTor
Doesn't mean they will come here. That's my point. If we can't get them in FA we must get them in draft

Guys go where money is. Bottom Line.. Nicks went to a 4-12 team

Guest TerraTor
That was bleepin impressive. If they decide it's time to say goodbye to 54, grab a LT in FA, and he's there at 20 I'd be all over him. He would be so much fun to watch.

As far as his off field "issues" I'm with Skip Bayless... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...50822&num=0

Not directed to any particular player

You never know how guys will react once they get a life altering event. All the sudden you are a role model, possible face of franchise, rich as hell and able to provide for a family, etc. Usually react in a positive way.

That was bleepin impressive. If they decide it's time to say goodbye to 54, grab a LT in FA, and he's there at 20 I'd be all over him. He would be so much fun to watch.

As far as his off field "issues" I'm with Skip Bayless... http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...50822&num=0

"I'm with Skip Bayless" is not usually a comment that makes a lot of sense. It may in this specific instance, but generally agreeing with Skip is a losing proposition.

"I'm with Skip Bayless" is not usually a comment that makes a lot of sense. It may in this specific instance, but generally agreeing with Skip is a losing proposition.

Couldn't agree more. Isn't Skip the 1 who once said Tim Tebow was a top 10 QB in the league and now he may have to go to the CFL lol

Not saying I agree with everything that comes out of that silly mans mouth but I agree with his stance on marijuana.

To highlight some of the points....

How can the NFL expect players to readily agree to let team doctors shoot them with painkillers so they can play with injuries no real-world doctor would clear -- yet then be prohibited from smoking marijuana to anesthetize themselves after tough games?

Alcohol dramatically alters a person's normal state, often bringing out his or her worst side, with little or no control over motor skills or better judgment. Marijuana mostly suspends a person's normal state, allowing him or her to escape into an inner fantasy world moving in slow motion.

I fear people who are drunk, in bars and driving cars. I don't fear people who are high on grass.

Alcohol is far more damaging and deadly than marijuana -- unless, of course, you want to argue the long-term cancer-causing effects of smoking grass.

"MOSS ADMITS TO OCCASIONAL MARIJUANA USE!"

You imagined a subhead of: "Duh."

That's exactly the way Lomas Brown reacted to the news. Brown, a former offensive tackle who played 18 seasons and made seven Pro Bowls, did a "Cold Pizza" segment just ahead of mine. He said whoever says only about 20 percent of NFL players smoke marijuana must be smoking some himself.

Brown said at least 50 percent smoke marijuana.

Estimates of NBA marijuana use have ranged anywhere from 50 to 80 percent (at its height six or eight years ago). The word from both leagues continues to be that if you fail a marijuana test, you are stupid or dependent.

The NFL and NBA basically operate on the premise that what parents and kids don't know about players won't hurt them -- or keep them from watching or buying tickets.

I know it's hard to skew some peoples opinion on the matter of marijuana use(esp. a father like yourself) but the fact that more states are making it legal...even for recreational use.... should give you clue that in this case Skip Bayless is right.

The fact that Ogletree smokes doesn't concern me on but the fact that he got caught kinda does. When he makes it to the NFL he'll probably pick up some tips on how to mask it better.

Not saying I agree with everything that comes out of that silly mans mouth but I agree with his stance on marijuana.

To highlight some of the points....

I know it's hard to skew some peoples opinion on the matter of marijuana use(esp. a father like yourself) but the fact that more states are making it legal...even for recreational use.... should give you clue that in this case Skip Bayless is right.

The fact that Ogletree smokes doesn't concern me on but the fact that he got caught kinda does. When he makes it to the NFL he'll probably pick up some tips on how to mask it better.

[/quote

Just because others do it doesn't make it any better now does it. Marijuana also impaires a persons judgement and slows down a person ability to react. Last i checked its still illegal in college and in the pros. The athlete knows what he or she is risking yet they don't care.

Just because others do it doesn't make it any better now does it. Marijuana also impaires a persons judgement and slows down a person ability to react. Last i checked its still illegal in college and in the pros. The athlete knows what he or she is risking yet they don't care.

Yes, it does impair a persons judgement and slows down a persons ability to react....for about and hour after use...I'm sure the 50+% that uses it in the NFL don't smoke right before the game to have the effects mess with them during a game....If they wanna smoke after the game and kinda use it in the same way medical marijuana is used for then go right ahead, its good for aches and pains.

And you're exactly right, the 50% of nfl athletes and 50-80% of nba players know exactly what they're doing.

Yes, it does impair a persons judgement and slows down a persons ability to react....for about and hour after use...I'm sure the 50+% that uses it in the NFL don't smoke right before the game to have the effects mess with them during a game....If they wanna smoke after the game and kinda use it in the same way medical marijuana is used for then go right ahead, its good for aches and pains.

And you're exactly right, the 50% of nfl athletes and 50-80% of nba players know exactly what they're doing.

They know its against rules yet don't care. They also know just 1 failed test is a 4 game suspension and oh yeah NFL has the ability to random test when they want and whoever they want. Some players get tested 10 times a yr and many get tested day after game. Marijuana doesn't disappear from your system in a matter of hrs. Sorry but the way i was raised was if its illegal then don't be stupid and do it anyway. Otherwise i don't want to here u cry when u face the consequences. The consequences out weigh the fantasy world of a couple hours. U choose couple hrs of fun or millions of $$. For me thats easy

They know its against rules yet don't care. They also know just 1 failed test is a 4 game suspension and oh yeah NFL has the ability to random test when they want and whoever they want. Some players get tested 10 times a yr and many get tested day after game. Marijuana doesn't disappear from your system in a matter of hrs. Sorry but the way i was raised was if its illegal then don't be stupid and do it anyway. Otherwise i don't want to here u cry when u face the consequences. The consequences out weigh the fantasy world of a couple hours. U choose couple hrs of fun or millions of $$. For me thats easy

But allegedly 50% of the league uses...why isn't 50% of the league getting suspended? Why because it's so easy to get around it. Which is why I'm 100% for getting Ogletree if 54 is gone and they address LT in FA.

While Ogletree looks fantastic....

it is way way way too early to start targeting any specific player. We should probably reserve judgment until late March/early April after we've seen some combine numbers or had the chance to read about their private workouts. Ogletree could show up and a run a 4.8 at the combine and he'd be lucky to go RD 2 if that happens. Now I'd be very surprised at this, but you just never know.

I'd still rather the Bears attack a LT in FA and STILL look OL at #20 if there were a big body worthy of the 20th pick.

But allegedly 50% of the league uses...why isn't 50% of the league getting suspended? Why because it's so easy to get around it. Which is why I'm 100% for getting Ogletree if 54 is gone and they address LT in FA.

Because half the league is doing does it make it any more legal. Its a huge risk. And if its so easy to not getting caught then why do ppl still get busted. Have u noticed more ppl lately are getting busted. Seems like 1 player a week is getting caught plus they will have tougher tests before to long. Just a matter of time. Sorry i don't mess with drugs. Never have. Been around it and saw how stupid ppl were around it for a lot longer than just a couple hrs. Maybe your an expert but personally i refuse to even associate with ppl doing it. In my line of work just 1 slip up in judgement could cost ppl there lives

Because half the league is doing does it make it any more legal. Its a huge risk. And if its so easy to not getting caught then why do ppl still get busted. Have u noticed more ppl lately are getting busted. Seems like 1 player a week is getting caught plus they will have tougher tests before to long. Just a matter of time. Sorry i don't mess with drugs. Never have. Been around it and saw how stupid ppl were around it for a lot longer than just a couple hrs. Maybe your an expert but personally i refuse to even associate with ppl doing it. In my line of work just 1 slip up in judgement could cost ppl there lives

Yes, it's illegal, and yes I understand that being the end all for some but the fact remains that it's here and it's not going away. I'm not an expert but I have looked into it on great depths and there's really nothing wrong with it. I play semi pro rugby and it has caused me to have a bad back, if medical marijuana were legal here in Indiana (2 votes away last year) I would legally be smoking right now. I practice once a week and have 8 game seasons, I can only imagine the wear and tear nfl or college athletes who practice more and for a longer period of time go through.

I'm clean now but thats just because I'm unemployed...What is your view on alcohol? Ya know something that is 10x worse and disruptive to ones mental state and can actually kill you. Something that will make you act wayyyy stupider than marijuana, and really I don't know who you were hanging around but all the pot smokers i've been around don't do anything stupid...we might say something stupid but its a relaxed medicine that mellows you out...I just sit around and laugh...I dont go out and look for a fight or something along those lines.

What's your view on our James Brown? Or studs like.. Marshawn Lynch? Carmello Anthony? Bill Walton? Kareem Abdul Jabaar? Micheal Phelps? Tim Lincecum?

I understand you're a father, or so your picture leads me to believe, and i understand and respect your views but in this day and age it's not that big a deal...if it were why would states alloy it to be legal for even recreational use.

Maybe your an expert but personally i refuse to even associate with ppl doing it. In my line of work just 1 slip up in judgement could cost ppl there lives

Well said. I myself am a police officer and agree with your assessment on how serious mj use can be.

However, unfortunately....it is extremely commonly used by a lot of people. I don't condone it and believe the Bears should stay away from players who they KNOW have issues with it. Regardless, that is what the interview process/background checks are for. I wouldn't write this kid off because of mj usage as a young adult....juvenile/young adult recidivism rates can be favorable in these cases.