Emery Pre draft presser

scs787

Not a ton of news...Theres a good chance we draft a QB at some point. There are already teams wanting to trade up with us supposedly. They're still looking at Izzy and others to sign to the roster. They supposedly like Garza at OC. He was disappointed with the arrest of ERod.

Reading some of the tweets, it sounds like he's saying they could do pretty much anything in the draft. Trading up, trading down, staying at 20.. Didn't really get a feel for which way he was leaning, which is exactly the way I'm sure he wants it.

What tweet made you think they'll trade up? All the tweets I'm reading say that they don't have the picks to trade up.

In summary:

-he wants to take a QB every year

-there is no way Garza moves to G

-he was disappointed in Rodriguez's arrest

-they're down to 5-6 guys at #20 but might trade up or down

-he met with Te'o and likes his character

-everyone will participate in these minicamps except Marshall and Gould (injuries)

What tweet made you think they'll trade up? All the tweets I'm reading say that they don't have the picks to trade up.

True, but you can't admit that. Why would you? My favorite was the year Angelo declared the Bears weren't going to be major players in free agency. Two days later, the minute free agency starts, we make Peppers possibly the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Not major players huh?

For some reason I enjoy playing the stupid game of trying to read the tea leaves such as, "Emery says he likes Teo . . . that means there is no way we will draft him!!!" I have no idea if that is true, but I believe it. Now if we draft Manti Teo, Emery is a straight shooter and means what he says. If we don't, Emery is crafty for throwing other teams off the scent.

Not to mention, whoever we draft, 1/3 of us will be pissed, 1/3 will be thrilled, and 1/3 indifferent. (It occured to me that I've been blogging with this bearstalk/talkbears group for 10 years, and the only time everyone was happy witha pick was Gabe Carimi. Even Greg Olsen had naysayers.)

True, but you can't admit that. Why would you? My favorite was the year Angelo declared the Bears weren't going to be major players in free agency. Two days later, the minute free agency starts, we make Peppers possibly the highest paid defensive player in NFL history. Not major players huh?

For some reason I enjoy playing the stupid game of trying to read the tea leaves such as, "Emery says he likes Teo . . . that means there is no way we will draft him!!!" I have no idea if that is true, but I believe it. Now if we draft Manti Teo, Emery is a straight shooter and means what he says. If we don't, Emery is crafty for throwing other teams off the scent.

Not to mention, whoever we draft, 1/3 of us will be pissed, 1/3 will be thrilled, and 1/3 indifferent. (It occured to me that I've been blogging with this bearstalk/talkbears group for 10 years, and the only time everyone was happy witha pick was Gabe Carimi. Even Greg Olsen had naysayers.)

There's really nothing to admit. Everyone knows how many draft picks we have.

I guess with all they've done in FA they can live with only 4 draft picks, which is what trading up would almost certainly mean, though...

There are a ton of ways they can go in the first that I'd be thrilled/indifferent about...That's what I'm gonna love about the draft this year. The only position I would hate to see them take is a RB in the first. A case could be made for just about every other position.

Peter King tweeted that the Falcons are apparently looking to move up in the draft from #30, though it's not clear how far up they want to move or what/who they are looking for. Might be a good trade match for the Bears.

I saw that as well and also saw that they're looking to trade up for a CB. Maybe Phil can tell ATL that they're going to take a CB so if they wanna trade up now is the time.

Pick 20 is worth 850 while pick 30 is 620. Adding in their 3rd and 4th rounders moves the value up to 800. According to the the draft value chart we're giving them a "deal" but in reality I'll take an extra 3rd and 4th rounder all day to move down 10 spots.

Shefter just reported that Atlanta has 11 picks so they have the picks to unload.

There's really nothing to admit. Everyone knows how many draft picks we have.

I guess with all they've done in FA they can live with only 4 draft picks, which is what trading up would almost certainly mean, though...

There are a ton of ways they can go in the first that I'd be thrilled/indifferent about...That's what I'm gonna love about the draft this year. The only position I would hate to see them take is a RB in the first. A case could be made for just about every other position.

Emery mentioned that in the press conference but that doesnt mean he will do that, just listing his options. He has mentioned several times about moving back, so that is most likely what HE wants to do.

I saw that as well and also saw that they're looking to trade up for a CB. Maybe Phil can tell ATL that they're going to take a CB so if they wanna trade up now is the time.

Pick 20 is worth 850 while pick 30 is 620. Adding in their 3rd and 4th rounders moves the value up to 800. According to the the draft value chart we're giving them a "deal" but in reality I'll take an extra 3rd and 4th rounder all day to move down 10 spots.

Shefter just reported that Atlanta has 11 picks so they have the picks to unload.

The trades wont occur until the draft starts, why would any smart GM tell the rest of the league what there exact plans are? Atlanta's picks would be 30,92 and 127, if the player they want falls to us.

The trades wont occur until the draft starts, why would any smart GM tell the rest of the league what there exact plans are? Atlanta's picks would be 30,92 and 127, if the player they want falls to us.

Of course...I'm not saying Phil makes that call now, I thought it would be common sense that I meant on draft day.

I would not move down 10 to only get a late 3rd and 4th. That if far too lopsided the wrong way. Normally the team moving up takes the hit on the draft value.

They would have to include their 2nd late round 4th (133) and a late 6th (198) to make it even. I would take 20 for 30, 92, 127, 133, and 198, and then take 92 and 133 and try to move down into the mid 80's.

I would rather look to pick up something in the 30's and no later than the 70's for #20. To me the logical team is still the 49ers at 31 and 74 or 34 and 61.

I started to go through each player given in the first round and list players we drafted, what I thought of the pick, how they turned out, and who we could have got.

Then I just started noticing how bad the Bears drafts were the last 10 years. I came to the board in 2005, so I am a couple years behind you. So instead, I will just list who I think was the one biggest contributor/best pick from each draft.

2003: Lance Briggs/Charles Tillman:

I don't want to pick just one, but Briggs would take it.

2004: Tommie Harris:

He didn't last long, but when he was great for a time. Berrian could be in consideration but he failed elsewhere.

2005: Kyle Orton:

Benson and Harris had decent careers elsewhere, but for the limited time all were here, Orton contributed the most.

2006: Devon Hester"

While I think Manning has went on to become the best player from the Bears draft, he did it elsewhere. Hester gains this spot for previous years as a KR and not for his failed experiment at WR.

2007 Corey Graham:

I know I just went special teams twice in a row here. Graham was tied for 2nd in the league in special teams tackles during his time with the Bears. I know people will say Greg Olsen, but he never stood out at the position he was drafted to be, like Graham did while earning a probowl nod.

2008: Matt Forte

Coming in a close second is Kellen Davis, no wait Chris Williams. This was yet another bad draft year for the Bears, Earle Bennett comes in a distance second to Forte who is far and away the best pick.

2009: Henry Melton

If Knox had never been hurt, he may have given Melton a run for his money. Lance Louis also did pretty well considering he was a 7th round compensatory pick.

2010: Major Wright

Wooton has shown some promise, but it's pretty sad when the 2nd best player to an average safety drafted is J.Webb.

2011: Chris Conte

Same as before, different names. A defensive lineman, Paea may have promise, but the 2nd best player to an average safety is another OL G. Carimi

2012: Alshon Jeffery

Jeffery was hurt, so I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt here. McClellan is basically tied in my opinion, but I see a lower floor potential with Jeffry than McClellan. It's really too soon to tell

There's some hard drafts looking back at them, maybe we are right to argue about the picks so often.

30 to 20 is quite the jump. I wonder if they could get 30, 60, and 133 out of it. If so, I'd be ALL for that.

I have been watching a lot of tape of everybody talking during this mini camp and I get the impression all the players have respect for Trestman, due to the fact he's the smartest guy in the room.

Interesting list. After Tommie Harris, that's a pretty brutal list. Hester was a game-changer, but even our top picks, like Forte and Melton, are just very good players . . . not great.

If we hadn't struck gold in free agency we'd be worse than Cleveland.

I started to go through each player given in the first round and list players we drafted, what I thought of the pick, how they turned out, and who we could have got.

Then I just started noticing how bad the Bears drafts were the last 10 years. I came to the board in 2005, so I am a couple years behind you. So instead, I will just list who I think was the one biggest contributor/best pick from each draft.

2003: Lance Briggs/Charles Tillman:

I don't want to pick just one, but Briggs would take it.

2004: Tommie Harris:

He didn't last long, but when he was great for a time. Berrian could be in consideration but he failed elsewhere.

2005: Kyle Orton:

Benson and Harris had decent careers elsewhere, but for the limited time all were here, Orton contributed the most.

2006: Devon Hester"

While I think Manning has went on to become the best player from the Bears draft, he did it elsewhere. Hester gains this spot for previous years as a KR and not for his failed experiment at WR.

2007 Corey Graham:

I know I just went special teams twice in a row here. Graham was tied for 2nd in the league in special teams tackles during his time with the Bears. I know people will say Greg Olsen, but he never stood out at the position he was drafted to be, like Graham did while earning a probowl nod.

2008: Matt Forte

Coming in a close second is Kellen Davis, no wait Chris Williams. This was yet another bad draft year for the Bears, Earle Bennett comes in a distance second to Forte who is far and away the best pick.

2009: Henry Melton

If Knox had never been hurt, he may have given Melton a run for his money. Lance Louis also did pretty well considering he was a 7th round compensatory pick.

2010: Major Wright

Wooton has shown some promise, but it's pretty sad when the 2nd best player to an average safety drafted is J.Webb.

2011: Chris Conte

Same as before, different names. A defensive lineman, Paea may have promise, but the 2nd best player to an average safety is another OL G. Carimi

2012: Alshon Jeffery

Jeffery was hurt, so I'm giving him the benifit of the doubt here. McClellan is basically tied in my opinion, but I see a lower floor potential with Jeffry than McClellan. It's really too soon to tell

There's some hard drafts looking back at them, maybe we are right to argue about the picks so often.

Interesting list. After Tommie Harris, that's a pretty brutal list. Hester was a game-changer, but even our top picks, like Forte and Melton, are just very good players . . . not great.

If we hadn't struck gold in free agency we'd be worse than Cleveland.

What does Forte have to do to be better than "very good" in your eyes? He is 4th in total rushing and receiving yards in the last 5 years with some strong players:

C. Johnson - 8,363

R. Rice - 7,838

A. Peterson - 7,508

M. Forte - 7,372

M. Jones-Drew - 7,207

Because if you are committed to this plan meaning you will trade up no matter what for this player you want (or more likely one of two or three players), then they think they can get a better deal now versus waiting to negotiate during the draft. Lots of teams want to trade down like the Bears so why not start negotiating? Can you always complete a trade in 10 min? A lot of trade talks fall apart under the time limits of the draft. Since nobody knows who they want or what position it places a huge wild card in front of every team. While we see lots of team wanting to trade down there are a handful that might trade up. It's a buyers market why not be the first buyer?

The Falcons were one play short of making it to the Superbowl and they have a lot of picks so in their mind they are very close and one missing piece might put them over the top.

Because if you are committed to this plan meaning you will trade up no matter what for this player you want (or more likely one of two or three players), then they think they can get a better deal now versus waiting to negotiate during the draft. Lots of teams want to trade down like the Bears so why not start negotiating? Can you always complete a trade in 10 min? A lot of trade talks fall apart under the time limits of the draft. Since nobody knows who they want or what position it places a huge wild card in front of every team. While we see lots of team wanting to trade down there are a handful that might trade up. It's a buyers market why not be the first buyer?

The Falcons were one play short of making it to the Superbowl and they have a lot of picks so in their mind they are very close and one missing piece might put them over the top.

you are in a better negotiating position if a player drops that several teams want, I think unless its the first 5 picks, people will wait to see who will be there at 20.Doing it ahead doesnt make sense for either team at that spot.

What does Forte have to do to be better than "very good" in your eyes? He is 4th in total rushing and receiving yards in the last 5 years with some strong players:

C. Johnson - 8,363

R. Rice - 7,838

A. Peterson - 7,508

M. Forte - 7,372

M. Jones-Drew - 7,207

Chris Johnson was great. Adrian Peterson is great. Matt Forte is very good. He's made one pro-bowl in 4 years. He blocks well, receives well, he will break a long run once in a while. One helluva a solid and good football player.

I'd compare it to Briggs & Urlacher in their prime. Briggs is and was very good. Multiple-time pro bowl player. But he's never going to be considered defensive player of the year and he's never going to have any real consideration for the hall of fame. Very good player. Not great. Urlacher was a game changer. He was great and likely first ballot hall of famer.

It's a slight distinction but it's a big difference. Very good vs. great.

Chris Johnson was great. Adrian Peterson is great. Matt Forte is very good. He's made one pro-bowl in 4 years. He blocks well, receives well, he will break a long run once in a while. One helluva a solid and good football player.

I'd compare it to Briggs & Urlacher in their prime. Briggs is and was very good. Multiple-time pro bowl player. But he's never going to be considered defensive player of the year and he's never going to have any real consideration for the hall of fame. Very good player. Not great. Urlacher was a game changer. He was great and likely first ballot hall of famer.

It's a slight distinction but it's a big difference. Very good vs. great.

Good comparision.