Emery says no contract extensions during 2013 season

balta1701-A

Link

"We have a number of players that are under one-year contracts or their contracts will expire at the end of this season. That would be part of the planning process for 2014," Emery said as the Bears prepared to open training camp. "We are always open to dialogue with our players and with their agents, but I will tell you that with where we're at with our current salary cap and the room that we have in our cap in our efforts to put together a championship team in 2013, I do not anticipate that we will do any extensions of contracts during this season. All those will occur, with the players it will occur with, will happen in 2014 and not during the 2013 season."

"I guess if you're saying an enormous amount of leverage [for Cutler] that means we've had a great season," Emery said. "That's a problem I look forward to."

"I see a group of guys that are very dialed in," Emery said. "No, [i haven't seen any] pushback. I think all of the players are focused on doing their very best to contribute as an individual to our team's success. I have not seen any of that pushback. I see guys very focused, full of energy and working hard to attain our goals."

No problem with that.

...and with all that said, just becasue he says that now, doesn't mean he won't revisit it if he feels it's warranted. He's just trying to push the issue to the side so no one brings it up again. Media or player.

I like. Forces players to put up or shut up

There's so many players they need signed. I hope they work with them some. The price could really go up if players are aloud to taste the market.

Players' value could go down if they get injured too. I like this statement as mentioned above 1) it takes the issue off the table from the media and we know Emery likes to negotiate in private and 2) If there are players that would prefer to limit their risk in losing a rather large bonus by signing an extension early they'll have to consider the current cap situation and that means reduce their demands.

I realize we can't be extending all these terminating contracts but a couple months ago there were some rumors that Melton and his group were negotiating with the Bears. If there was truly nothing that could be done they wouldn't have even been talking. Given his huge cap hit with the franchise tag this deal seems to be one where an extension could be done within our cap constraint.

Players' value could go down if they get injured too. I like this statement as mentioned above 1) it takes the issue off the table from the media and we know Emery likes to negotiate in private and 2) If there are players that would prefer to limit their risk in losing a rather large bonus by signing an extension early they'll have to consider the current cap situation and that means reduce their demands.

I realize we can't be extending all these terminating contracts but a couple months ago there were some rumors that Melton and his group were negotiating with the Bears. If there was truly nothing that could be done they wouldn't have even been talking. Given his huge cap hit with the franchise tag this deal seems to be one where an extension could be done within our cap constraint.

The deadline for negotiating a deal with Melton was July 15th. That's a league rule so Melton can't be redone until after the season.

With the lack of cap space, the only extensions that could really be done would be with players with a high salary this year that could be replaced with a larger signing bonus that could be prorated over future years. The only guys that fit that criteria are Cutler, Tillman, and Jennings. Now if they did any of them, they could free up space to do others, but they would have to be small deals.

There is always the possibility that simple extensions with no up front money could be done, but the player then would have no reason to do it now because nothing would be guaranteed until next year, and management would probably have to give up more in the future to sign them now. There is really no incentive for either side to do anything now in that scenario.

Really, I think that the Bears aren't in a hurry to spend any extra cash right now and that it has little to do with the cap.

I don't like it. I still don't know if I like Emery. This year will say a lot and i'm curious how his draft picks progress.

Agreed. I am going to give him a chance, but I'm sold yet.

There are 43 players whose contract is set to expire this year. The defense could be gutted and in a full out rebuilding process next year. A lot of the defense didn't like the exodus of Lovie. I agree with not redoing Cutler until we see how he works with Trestman's system, but to completely ignore resigning that many players and trying to rush it all in at the end of the season seems a little crazy to me.

Best part about his comments were him saying the Bears run the risk of having to pay him double next year. Good luck finding a team that'll pay 6M for a kicker, Robbie ;)

Agreed. Robbie's one helluva a kicker and possibly one of the best ever. But he's making 3 million. You can find a good kicker for the minimum of roughly $500,000. Robbie costs 2.5 million more. Heck, the majority of our starters aren't making 3 million.

I love Robbie and I hope he retires as a Bear. That being said, I don't blame management for at least pondering, "Is a kicker worth 3 million per year?"

Agreed. Robbie's one helluva a kicker and possibly one of the best ever. But he's making 3 million. You can find a good kicker for the minimum of roughly $500,000. Robbie costs 2.5 million more. Heck, the majority of our starters aren't making 3 million.

I love Robbie and I hope he retires as a Bear. That being said, I don't blame management for at least pondering, "Is a kicker worth 3 million per year?"

Honestly, the 4th best all time really is. It's important to be able to reliably get those points. The only problem with Gould is his recovery from his injuries. Remember we don't know what he meant when he said it would cost them twice as much. He may have been willing to sign for 1.5 million or 2 million a year if they did it now, despite his current pay. He may be expecting 3-4 million if he blows up.

The deadline for negotiating a deal with Melton was July 15th. That's a league rule so Melton can't be redone until after the season.

With the lack of cap space, the only extensions that could really be done would be with players with a high salary this year that could be replaced with a larger signing bonus that could be prorated over future years. The only guys that fit that criteria are Cutler, Tillman, and Jennings. Now if they did any of them, they could free up space to do others, but they would have to be small deals.

There is always the possibility that simple extensions with no up front money could be done, but the player then would have no reason to do it now because nothing would be guaranteed until next year, and management would probably have to give up more in the future to sign them now. There is really no incentive for either side to do anything now in that scenario.

Really, I think that the Bears aren't in a hurry to spend any extra cash right now and that it has little to do with the cap.

I don't know where I'd be if I didn't have you and my wife to correct me. :)

There are 43 players whose contract is set to expire this year. The defense could be gutted and in a full out rebuilding process next year. A lot of the defense didn't like the exodus of Lovie. I agree with not redoing Cutler until we see how he works with Trestman's system, but to completely ignore resigning that many players and trying to rush it all in at the end of the season seems a little crazy to me.

Certainly from a fan's perspective this does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the future of our roster. I don't think it gives the players a warm fuzzy feeling either. Whatever the reasons for this situation, overall I can accept the fact our new coaches get a chance to shape the roster in a significant way quickly and the players know that. As long as we keep the right core players.

Whatever the reasons for this situation, overall I can accept the fact our new coaches get a chance to shape the roster in a significant way quickly and the players know that. As long as we keep the right core players.

This will be the year for determining who those guys are. I would venture to say that all players at risk will do what they can to work into the new staff's favor. Doing otherwise will only hurt marketability with the team and outside suitors. Veterans with contracts will have to meet or exceed expectations to maintain their standing as well.

I'm also irritated at how stupid we were with Idonjie. We are pretty thin on the line and Israel is a good type of guy to have from a depth perspective. Now we are stuck hoping that everyone stays healthy and that Paea and Shea take big steps forward. Our line is thin.