Bears sign new LB's coach?!?

GakMan23

The score announced the Bears had signed a LB coach. He was former HC in college. Paul something

Paul Pasquenelli. If I recall correctly he coached Syracuse for a period of time. I believe he has a pretty solid rep. I also think he has spent time in the NFL in the past, but I could be wrong. What I can recall of him, I think this is a good hire; hopefully he will be able to teach Bostic and Greene not to fill the same gap at the same time :)

Paul Pasquenelli. If I recall correctly he coached Syracuse for a period of time. I believe he has a pretty solid rep. I also think he has spent time in the NFL in the past, but I could be wrong. What I can recall of him, I think this is a good hire; hopefully he will be able to teach Bostic and Greene not to fill the same gap at the same time :)

Yup found the tweet:

We have learned that Paul Pasqualoni will be the #Bears new linebackers coach... 52 minutes ago

I don't see anything anywhere stating he was hired by the Bears. Here's his bio and he has a pretty good record especially with defense. It is unclear why he was fired mid-season and going from HC at UConn to Bears LB coach seems like an odd transition.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footb...oni_paul00.html

I found it on the score 670's website, in the form of a tweet, and they have stated it multiple times during the Mully and Hanley show. They are talking about the hire right now on the score

The usual suspects haven't confirmed this yet but the score and wiki seem to think it's true, so I'll throw out my thoughts.....

I like it. From what little I've read on him he seems to be very Trestman-esque. He has a book out about teaching (youth) football, and I've read that he considers himself a teacher. That bodes well for a team that just drafted 2 LBs.

What's really interesting is that he ran a 3-4 all 3 years he was a DC in the NFL, and looking at highlights of Sio Moore (first name that popped in my head when I thought recent UConn LB) the Huskies looked to have played a mix of both 3-4 and 4-3.

As you can see there the UConn D mixed it up.

I now expect the Bears to run at least some sort of hybrid 3-4 if not a full on 3-4.

Also worth noting that Yawin Smallwood is expected to be picked in the first couple rounds, so that's back to back years he produced an LB that was drafted in the first few rounds (Sio Moore was drafted 68th overall).

In his first year at UConn Lawrence Wilson was drafted in the 6th round....He was a backup LB for our Bears.

Seems clear the report was premature. Seems clear though that we are looking at coaches with 3-4 experience. I am also wondering if this guy was going to end up with the title of Asst. DC? Given his experience running defenses is Trestman hedging his bets a bit by pursuing coaches who might be able to step in if Tucker fails again next year? I thought it was odd a former head coach (lots of head coaching experience) would suddenly want to drop back to just a LB coach. That's certainly possible but I'd see it more likely if he had an Asst DC title.

I'd like to see the list of other candidates so we can get a better feel for what Trestman is doing but this search has been a very quiet one.

Seems clear the report was premature. Seems clear though that we are looking at coaches with 3-4 experience. I am also wondering if this guy was going to end up with the title of Asst. DC? Given his experience running defenses is Trestman hedging his bets a bit by pursuing coaches who might be able to step in if Tucker fails again next year? I thought it was odd a former head coach (lots of head coaching experience) would suddenly want to drop back to just a LB coach. That's certainly possible but I'd see it more likely if he had an Asst DC title.

I'd like to see the list of other candidates so we can get a better feel for what Trestman is doing but this search has been a very quiet one.

Only other guy they made public as to who they were interviewing was Bill Sheridan....Who I brought up awhile ago as a potential DC, here's what I said...

With Shiano getting the axe in Tampa I wonder if that whole staff is out...If so I'd add Bill Sheridan to the DC wish list.

From his profile on the Bucs website...

"In his first season as the Buccaneers defensive coordinator, Sheridan helped turn around the team’s run defense. After finishing last in the league in run defense in 2011, the 2012 Buccaneers finished first in that category, becoming the first team since the merger to go from last-to-first in a single season."

Sounds like a guy the Bears could use.

He's always ran a 4-3 though. He was a LB and a DL coach before moving to DC positions with the Giants and Tampa.

Only other guy they made public as to who they were interviewing was Bill Sheridan....Who I brought up awhile ago as a potential DC, here's what I said...

He's always ran a 4-3 though. He was a LB and a DL coach before moving to DC positions with the Giants and Tampa.

Oh nice, kept missing the name on the radio here at work and I have been wondering. He seems like he may be an interesting canidate at first glance.