Cap space after signings and cuts???

Chitownhustla

I've made a few posts on it, but there's so much going on I'm not surprised you missed it....

overthecap.com has us at $13,377,969.....Mundy and Jennings aren't included though.

Still think Earl Bennett could be cut and that number would improve to ~15.8.

Still a lot of money to work with.

I've made a few posts on it, but there's so much going on I'm not surprised you missed it....

overthecap.com has us at $13,377,969.....Mundy and Jennings aren't included though.

Thanks!!!

Why wouldn't they have released him already if they were?

And what's the rookie pool set at now?

Thanks!!!

Why wouldn't they have released him already if they were?

And what's the rookie pool set at now?

Probably wanna make sure they can sign a guy before they release him....Were talking to Domenik Hixon yesterday so it sounds like they're in the market.

Bears need $2,029,163 for rookies....not sure how much that would change if they trade down a bit, which would be nice.

With Senn being here(does same thing as Weems) I think he could be released also.

From what I can tell, the Bears cap # is 10,293,177. But that doesn't include Mundy, MD Jennings, Hixon , or Palmer. On an extreme high end those guys are 4m.

I'd say we will see either 1.6 or 2.4 mill added to that number with Weems or Bennett being cut. So I'm guessing they have at least 8 mil left with 2 mil needed for the drat.

Give me Melton plzzzzzz.

From what I can tell, the Bears cap # is 10,293,177. But that doesn't include Mundy, MD Jennings, Hixon , or Palmer. On an extreme high end those guys are 4m.

I'd say we will see either 1.6 or 2.4 mill added to that number with Weems or Bennett being cut. So I'm guessing they have at least 8 mil left with 2 mil needed for the drat.

Give me Melton plzzzzzz.

And at any time they can dip into the Cutler contract to free up some space. I vaguely remember Slauson and Jennigs contracts have that flexibility too.

And at any time they can dip into the Cutler contract to free up some space. I vaguely remember Slauson and Jennigs contracts have that flexibility too.

With the amount of space that they still have remaining and their current needs it doesn't seem like it'll be very necessary to do that this year.

And let's also not forget the benefit of avoiding doing so...the Bears could go into next offseason having Pepper's deal fully paid off, having taken the largest portion of the cap hit on Cutler's deal, and having a really good sum of FA dollars available (even after extending Marshall).

And let's also not forget the benefit of avoiding doing so...the Bears could go into next offseason having Pepper's deal fully paid off, having taken the largest portion of the cap hit on Cutler's deal, and having a really good sum of FA dollars available (even after extending Marshall).

This is the way to do it! It may not satisfy immediately, but will long term.

With the amount of space that they still have remaining and their current needs it doesn't seem like it'll be very necessary to do that this year.

I thought I read that the Bears will have a huge amount of cap space next year (2015) and even 2016. So resigning BM shouldn't be a problem even extending Alshon should be easy.

If that is the case dipping into the Cutler cap space wouldn't really cause any long terms constraints.

Absolutely. If the right situation comes up though I wouldn't hesitate to dip into that contract though. Say they sign Melton at ~6M that leaves em with ~2M, if the market for a guy like Chris Clemons (the safety) dries up and he only costs ~3M I wouldn't hesitate to dip into the contract a few mill to cober that cost and give them a little more money to perhaps bring a guy like Britton, Bowman, and Rosario back.

Your point remains though, right now the Bears salary for 2015 is 85 mill and that includes all but the guys I mentioned in my last post. If Bostic really is Briggs replacement next year then the Bears will really only need to resign Marshall. Even if we say BMarsh gets 10M then that's 45M in cap space.

Absolutely. If the right situation comes up though I wouldn't hesitate to dip into that contract though. Say they sign Melton at ~6M that leaves em with ~2M, if the market for a guy like Chris Clemons (the safety) dries up and he only costs ~3M I wouldn't hesitate to dip into the contract a few mill to cober that cost and give them a little more money to perhaps bring a guy like Britton, Bowman, and Rosario back.

Your point remains though, right now the Bears salary for 2015 is 85 mill and that includes all but the guys I mentioned in my last post. If Bostic really is Briggs replacement next year then the Bears will really only need to resign Marshall. Even if we say BMarsh gets 10M then that's 45M in cap space.

The other thing they could do with a setup like that is slightly backload the bonus for a guy like Melton into future years rather than moving it around with Cutler, thus saving them a bit of cap space this year and giving them the option to retain him in a future year.

The other thing they could do with a setup like that is slightly backload the bonus for a guy like Melton into future years rather than moving it around with Cutler, thus saving them a bit of cap space this year and giving them the option to retain him in a future year.

Certainly a possibility.

They will only dip in the Cutler contract at last resort. If they take any money out of there, it turns his contract into a 5 year deal once it happens. They structured it to allow to have no money owed after 3 years. I think the only way they do that is if they think they are one player away from a SB run and then they go for it. Like Denver is doing this year. This is not the year they will do that.

They could that but I'd be shocked if Melton gets more than a one year deal. He likely wants a one year deal since no team is going to pay him as an elite DT when he is coming off a bad knee injury and an arrest.

There are other guys we could extend or restructure into future years. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of restructuring Bushrod or extending BM.