Fix the OL First...

Mongo3451

The media has said it, we have said it and other players have said it and so on... The Bears OL is not what it used to be. My flat out opinion is this. Fix the OL 1st and the rest will follow. I believe the Sinclair move to OG is a start, as he is more athletic than Metcalf and Beekman is obviously useless. I don't want hear the rookie blah blah either. OG is the easiest offensive position to learn and play.

For off season plans, I would start with telling Tait to tailor his workouts and film study for the right side. IMO - it was a great move placing him at LT when they did, but on the other hand a bonehead move leaving him there for three years with noone else in the pipeline and keeping him from his natural position of RT. You weaken the left side with this move, but are beginning to place "best fits" in their positions.

2nd, leave Kreutz alone! He may be small, fumble prone and of a distemperous nature, but we don't have any better. And he gets the boys in the weightroom. Most importantly, we'll need his stability next year.

3rd, re-sign Rueben Brown if he can get healthy. He's still the best OL on our team if his arm heals. Sign him cheap and spell him from time to time to get the youngsters some PT. And for God's sake, if he's dinged, rest him.

4th, Cut, Miller and Metcalf.

5th, draft 2 OT's on day one. It's hard to find a good one and it's time to throw numbers at the position. If you get one good one, you have hit the lottery. If you get two, that's like hitting the lottery, inheriting an oil field and the harem that goes with it. Everyone knows they will need a learning curve, that's what the TE is for. A good OC can put him in situations he can win. Also, if they don't pan out at OT, you just overpaid for guards. That upgrade needs to occur anyway. It's just not as important as OT.

6th, pay for an OG in FA if the right one is availible.

Lastly, fire Turner and Hiestand. Pay top dollar for a good OC and a good OL coach will follow. All in all, I would like to change the type of OL we have. We have one of the smallest OL's in the league. If not for Tait we would have. We are a cold weather/outdoor team. IMO - we need the road grater/mauler type. That means more size and leverage.

Whether we have Rex or Orton starting next next. The run game will help the pass game. The window is not closed on a SuperBowl. We should not be developing the future QB at the risk of shutting the window.

Starting OL in my dream next year would be from left to right. New guy, FA OG, Kruetz, Brown, Tait. Garza can backup at both OG's and center as well as Beekman. Sinclair at backup T, as well as our other rookie.

You got that pretty much right on Mongo. I do think that we need to wait and see who's there when we draft, but we have to get some Ol guys in here that can play. FA will be critical, but it will also be costly. If I have to choose between resigning Briggs or getting a solid LT, no doubt in my mind I take the LT. OG is also going to be necessary and we need some youth that can play for the OL s well. It must be addressed in the offseason or we will be doomed next year.

Guest TerraTor

Drafting OL in rounds 1 or 2 is rediculous. Absolute waste of a pick. we need talent on this team. Olineman can be had in Free Agency. There are always guys under 30 who have established themselves and can be great plugins. This is my ideal draft as follows

1. (10) kenny phillips or Johnathon Stewart.

Phillips: Immediate Upgrade at the safety position (we may be worst in NFL). Speed, ballhawking, size. legitimate future star.

Stewart: bears may not go RB cuz they wont wanna admit benson is terrible. Size, Speed, Recieving, this guy has all the tools. May wait till next season to declare however.

QB: I cant see a new QB helping us win right away. I dont know what itll take but Mcnabb would be best option. but thats a Madden 08 trade so....

2. (41/42) Colt Brennan (if we go phillips) or Josh Barrett..

Brennan: Never seen a team and fan base absolutely love a player. I dont care where he played or what offense he ran. Guy has more heart than our entire offense.

Barrett: Combine may get him into 1st round. Great size and possibly really good speed. Some compare him to a Roy Williams with the Cover 2 skills wed look for.

3. (?) Mario Manningham

Playmaker, speed. recent performances and issues drop him outta 2nd round

4-7 Bolster Oline and whatever comes after

"The media has said it, we have said it and other players have said it and so on... The Bears OL is not what it used to be. My flat out opinion is this. Fix the OL 1st and the rest will follow. I believe the Sinclair move to OG is a start, as he is more athletic than Metcalf and Beekman is obviously useless. I don't want hear the rookie blah blah either. OG is the easiest offensive position to learn and play".

Then I guess we should just cut Beekman since he is a waste of space. Give me a break. He has been on the roster for 1 yr. We have no idea what we have in him at this point.

Peace

Then I guess we should just cut Beekman since he is a waste of space. Give me a break. He has been on the roster for 1 yr. We have no idea what we have in him at this point.

Peace

I have Beekman on the roster next year... Did you read the post?

IMO - He will be a waste of space next year, but it is necessary to make an attempt to develop him. He's healthy and not playing at an easy position to learn. Sinclair is on the depth chart as a Tackle and playing over Beekman. I don't think Sinclair is in jeopardy of losing his job next season, so an audition at guard is of no benefit, unless he gives us the best chance to win. IE: Beekman is useless.

To another poster; I did not mention using the 1st 2 picks on tackle. (I said day one)

Several posters have come to judgment that Beekman was a bad draft pick, a waste of space, and a bust. This is on the assumption that because he has not played he must suck. He was not a high draft selection. Lovie & JA have not hesitated a bit in cutting a player that did not fill the bill. If he sucks as much as has been speculated by some I assure you he would not be on our roster.

Using the same logic, does this mean Haas sucks and should be cut before getting a chance to prove himself? I think Haas could be an excellent WR starter. Just because he has not been given a chance yet I am not going to proclaim him a bust and a waste of specie.