Mongo's Off Season...

Mongo3451

We've seen enough to know this team is a mid level stinker. The question remains as to what to do to right the ship. Here are some my thoughts.

Organization: Starting at the top, Teddy needs to go. As stated in another post, I would shed tears of joy if Bill Polian would accept a 3 year post as team president. He would require total autonomy from the McCaskeys.

GM: Emery stays another year, as he is evaluated by a president that knows what he is doing. Besides, he was left in a horrible cap, age and talent situation by JA and Lovie.

Coaching: The axe has to fall on someone. It immediately needs to be Joey D. While his unit has improved over the course of the season. The blatant and costly mistakes this unit has made go straight to scheme, preparation and leadership. As bad as our defense has been, ST was easily the worst of our 3 phases. Trestman and Tucker stay another year. For some reason, I think Trestman is a good coach who's been dealt a couple bad hands. They will be in year 3 of their rebuild and if significant progress is not made it's broom time.

Offense: As stated in other posts, we lack speed on offense. We are by far the slowest offense in the NFL. As much as I love Forte, he is doing this team no good, because we can not utilize his skills due to the defense being able to play so close to the LOS. Trade him for what he is worth. Trade Marshall as well and for the same reason. Use those picks for youth and speed. I fear we are stuck with Cutler next year, but if someone is dumb enough to want his contract, see above. Lastly, please fix the OL once and for all! I'm sick of seeing an OT come in because we need the extra help. Garza and Mills need replaced immediately. Draft a stud LT and a center and be done with it. Cut or trade Bennett's ass too. He's made too many hot read mistakes and his TC attitude do not translate into his high salary.

Defense: Cut Briggs today. I truly believe his attitude and professionalism has been a cancer. Say goodbye to Peanut as a player and offer him a lifetime position with the organization.(I don't care what the title is, as long as he has player interaction) He is what it is all about on the field and off. Jared Allen takes a pay cut or is the next to go. As with Peanut, keep him around for who he is and will continue to be. Draft a DE as high as possible. Can't have enough of those. And the idiot who hurt himself celebrating while we were getting blownout... Cut him then sack punch his dumb ass. To quote Singletary, "Can't coach em, can't win with em, can't do it"...

I think Trestman has worked hard to try and change the culture of this team. I simply think the hold Lovie had on the organization was stronger than anyone could imagine and that takes time to break. While this is not an endorsement of Trestman, he has to afforded the time to break that. Otherwise, the next guy has to come in and break it as well. It took Belichick awhile to form his culture of success. His path was similar. He was regarded as a brilliant coordinator that ownership had suspicions about running a team. Sometimes, it takes someone to reinvent the wheel to be great. Tresty gets one more year to try. Very short leash though...

What's our cap look like with these trades and cuts?

You're too lenient!

Tucker's gotta go. It's not like he was a defensive wonderchild before coming here. There is nothing to him that screams chanmpionship caliber. At leasst one could argue that with Trestman.

We've seen enough to know this team is a mid level stinker. The question remains as to what to do to right the ship. Here are some my thoughts.

Organization: Starting at the top, Teddy needs to go. As stated in another post, I would shed tears of joy if Bill Polian would accept a 3 year post as team president. He would require total autonomy from the McCaskeys.

GM: Emery stays another year, as he is evaluated by a president that knows what he is doing. Besides, he was left in a horrible cap, age and talent situation by JA and Lovie.

Coaching: The axe has to fall on someone. It immediately needs to be Joey D. While his unit has improved over the course of the season. The blatant and costly mistakes this unit has made go straight to scheme, preparation and leadership. As bad as our defense has been, ST was easily the worst of our 3 phases. Trestman and Tucker stay another year. For some reason, I think Trestman is a good coach who's been dealt a couple bad hands. They will be in year 3 of their rebuild and if significant progress is not made it's broom time.

Offense: As stated in other posts, we lack speed on offense. We are by far the slowest offense in the NFL. As much as I love Forte, he is doing this team no good, because we can not utilize his skills due to the defense being able to play so close to the LOS. Trade him for what he is worth. Trade Marshall as well and for the same reason. Use those picks for youth and speed. I fear we are stuck with Cutler next year, but if someone is dumb enough to want his contract, see above. Lastly, please fix the OL once and for all! I'm sick of seeing an OT come in because we need the extra help. Garza and Mills need replaced immediately. Draft a stud LT and a center and be done with it. Cut or trade Bennett's ass too. He's made too many hot read mistakes and his TC attitude do not translate into his high salary.

Defense: Cut Briggs today. I truly believe his attitude and professionalism has been a cancer. Say goodbye to Peanut as a player and offer him a lifetime position with the organization.(I don't care what the title is, as long as he has player interaction) He is what it is all about on the field and off. Jared Allen takes a pay cut or is the next to go. As with Peanut, keep him around for who he is and will continue to be. Draft a DE as high as possible. Can't have enough of those. And the idiot who hurt himself celebrating while we were getting blownout... Cut him then sack punch his dumb ass. To quote Singletary, "Can't coach em, can't win with em, can't do it"...

I think Trestman has worked hard to try and change the culture of this team. I simply think the hold Lovie had on the organization was stronger than anyone could imagine and that takes time to break. While this is not an endorsement of Trestman, he has to afforded the time to break that. Otherwise, the next guy has to come in and break it as well. It took Belichick awhile to form his culture of success. His path was similar. He was regarded as a brilliant coordinator that ownership had suspicions about running a team. Sometimes, it takes someone to reinvent the wheel to be great. Tresty gets one more year to try. Very short leash though...

You're too lenient!

Tucker's gotta go. It's not like he was a defensive wonderchild before coming here. There is nothing to him that screams chanmpionship caliber. At leasst one could argue that with Trestman.

Lol! I can't disagree. I somewhat feel the same way. With the turnover, attitudes and injuries of the D, I simply am not sure. What I saw was a defense that was often out of place. Was it the combo of above or Tucker? I'll have to leave that one for Trestman.

Lol! I can't disagree. I somewhat feel the same way. With the turnover, attitudes and injuries of the D, I simply am not sure. What I saw was a defense that was often out of place. Was it the combo of above or Tucker? I'll have to leave that one for Trestman.

If there is a way to convince Polian, it would be nice. I am rooting for the Patriots to win the Superbowl. Then Brady and Bilichick retire together on top. Offer Belichick a lucrative deal or even some ownership to become President and right this franchise. He can decide who stay or goes down to Staley the mascot.

I want Emery, Trestman, Tucker and the entire coaching staff gone. I think this season would justify any of those men being fired.

Unfortunately, it will only be Tucker and DeCamillis being fired as they will take the blame for the fall of this defense and special teams and the overall struggles of this team. I just have a hunch that George McCaskey will give Emery and Trestman 1 more year to right this ship. They will give them a better DC and a better STC and see what happens next year. The Bears have never been known to fire a head coach after year 2 on the job. To me, they don't have the guts or the brains to do what is best for this organization and that would be to bring in a head coach with previous success in this league. Bring in a president and GM to control all the personnel moves (Coaching and players).

If i'm George McCaskey, I am firering Ted Phillips, Emery and the entire coaching staff and i'm bringing in a guy like Mike Holmgren take over as president and GM of the organization. This would be a HUGE move that would let the fans know that change is finally coming to the organization. Mike Holmgren would then have free reign to hire his head coach and make key personnel moves to right this ship asap!

We need a new direction... ASAP! The Bears have only made the playoffs 10 times since the Superbowl winning team of 1985. That is only 10 times in about 30 years. This is the third lowest out of any team in the NFL since this time. And since we entered the new millennium (2000), the Bears have only the made the playoffs 4 times in 15 seasons. That my friends in pathetic!

1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, =Coach Ditka

1994= Coach Wannestedt

2001= Coach Jauron

2005, 2006, 2010= Coach Smith

Mongo,

Definitely needs to start from top down, but if you do that, you can't put any conditions on that move like "Trestman and Tucker stay for another year." You just let Polian work his magic. I think Trestman is over his head as a HC and his play calling is too passive for the NFL. It works in Canada with more players, a bigger field, and different rules, but not in the NFL. I like his attitude and he seems to be a very intelligent guy, but we need a competitor.

For Defense, Tucker has to go, we catered to him bringing in just about everything but a great Safety, and the defense is arguably worse than last year. We are dead last in pts allowed and our entire defense seems to be out of sync. I would definitely let Briggs walk, but I would actually bring back Peanut for one more year. Do it the right way. He still can contribute and with fresh legs, who knows, he may be even better than last year. He had a freak injury to an odd muscle, so I would offer him a one-year deal to redeem himself. You know he doesn't want to go out like that. We can't cut Houston, his cap hit is too big next year. Let's chalk it up as a bonehead move. SMC is someone to consider

For Special Teams, DeCamworthless needs to be fired already. I think the organization is just keeping him because the season is already lost. We need a new coach, and a couple of ST studs. This phase cannot be overlooked like it was this year.

Overall, we under-achieved. I thought on paper we had a top 12-15 team capable of at least competing week in and week out, yet we are 5-6 and have only 1 win against a winning team. TB has 5 losses by 5 or less. ATL has 2 losses by 3 total pts. 6 of OAK losses were by 10 or less. All those teams have worse records than us, but played competitive. 5 of our losses are by 13 or more. That is ridiculous. We were essentially not competitive in 5 games.

BLUF: Pay Polian whatever he wants, give him as much control as he desires, an open checkbook, and let him go to work without restrictions.

I want Emery, Trestman, Tucker and the entire coaching staff gone. I think this season would justify any of those men being fired.

Unfortunately, it will only be Tucker and DeCamillis being fired as they will take the blame for the fall of this defense and special teams and the overall struggles of this team. I just have a hunch that George McCaskey will give Emery and Trestman 1 more year to right this ship. They will give them a better DC and a better STC and see what happens next year. The Bears have never been known to fire a head coach after year 2 on the job. To me, they don't have the guts or the brains to do what is best for this organization and that would be to bring in a head coach with previous success in this league. Bring in a president and GM to control all the personnel moves (Coaching and players).

If i'm George McCaskey, I am firering Ted Phillips, Emery and the entire coaching staff and i'm bringing in a guy like Mike Holmgren take over as president and GM of the organization. This would be a HUGE move that would let the fans know that change is finally coming to the organization. Mike Holmgren would then have free reign to hire his head coach and make key personnel moves to right this ship asap!

We need a new direction... ASAP! The Bears have only made the playoffs 10 times since the Superbowl winning team of 1985. That is only 10 times in about 30 years. This is the third lowest out of any team in the NFL since this time. And since we entered the new millennium (2000), the Bears have only the made the playoffs 4 times in 15 seasons. That my friends in pathetic!

1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, =Coach Ditka

1994= Coach Wannestedt

2001= Coach Jauron

2005, 2006, 2010= Coach Smith

With all the recent changes to the league, you just have to look back to our post 2006 Superbowl numbers to see how bad we really have been. From 2007 to this year we are 65-59, just a hair better than .500, and our point differential is +4 in those 124 games. We are 5-12 against GB and 2 of those wins were in 2007 (3-12 since 2008). Basically Forte's entire career we have been average. What a waste. Can you believe Forte has only played in 2 playoff games his entire career?

2012 really hurts because on paper, we had a great team. Looking at overall team ratings, since 1985; 1986, 1988, 2006, and 2012 were our best teams. That 18 year gap from 1988 to 2006 was brutal. Thank god for the Bulls during that run.

Mongo,

Definitely needs to start from top down, but if you do that, you can't put any conditions on that move like "Trestman and Tucker stay for another year." You just let Polian work his magic.

BLUF: Pay Polian whatever he wants, give him as much control as he desires, an open checkbook, and let him go to work without restrictions.

That's what I meant when I said give Polian autonomy. When I stated that I would keep Emery and Trestman, that's what I'd do if I were Polian. It would take a little time to evaluate film and talent.

I can't disagree with anyone firing Tucker and Joe D.

You asked about the salary next year....IF speculation is true and the cap does go up to 145M then the Bears would haveabout 37M in cap space (not including money needed for rookies, which is gonna be 5M tops).

Still a lot of money to work with. Over the cap says we have the 8th most. There's a lot of bad teams ahead of us along with the Seahawks and Colts who will need to resign Wilson(SEA), Lynch(SEA), Luck(IND), Hilton(IND) pretty soon and might not spend big.

Devin McCourty

Chris Harris

Brandon Flowers

KJ Wright

Louis Delmas

Would all be interesting signings.