Housecleaning

Daventry

No shocker here.

Question, what exactly does a team president do? That almost sounds like a silly question but really? I mean the GM and his scouting department are the guys who bring players in. Cliff Stien signs em. The coaches coach. The McCaskeya fund the team....what does Ted do? What will having someone different even mean? Does he simply help the GM? Like sign off on moves I assume?

Serious question here.

I never get the dislike for Ted Philips. The guy runs franchise for the owners but has no day-to-day football operations oversight. I really don't care who he gets to run the concessions at Soldier Field, or what he charges for parking, or who advertises with the team. If it's hate because he signed Emery as GM after Angelo? I guess I get that but we weren't always a horrible team under JA and Lovie. We did got to a Superbowl.

Then again, I'm not as down on Emery as everyone else is. I see him bringing in two Pro Bowl WRs when we hadn't had one in a decade. Pro Bowl OG. Re-signing a Pro Bowl RB. First draft sucked but the last two I see starters (Fuller, Long, Bostic, Mills?); future starters or at least solid rotation players (Ferguson, Sutton, Wilson); and a few that look like they'll be decent backups (Greene, Carey, and Washington, and maybe Leno). Don't see much from Fales or Vereen down the road. In the last two drafts I think our depth has improved but it's all very young and inexperienced. Free Agency hasn't been all bad either: Slausson, Bushrod, Young, Martellus, McCown, DLP, Ola, UDFAs -- Al Louis-Jean and Christian Jones. Houston is not looking so good right now, neither is Allen but Allen has played well just not great and not up to the contract we signed him to.

So, as I see it, all roads of hatred lead back to Cutler and his contract. Philips approved it (I don't think he was involved other than to say how much cash on hand we had). Emery devised it. Trestman supported it. Trestman and coaches went behind Cutler's back to complain about him and here we are today. There is a clear disconnect though between GM and coaches regarding Cutler so something, or everything, is going to give.

I'm patiently waiting for the show to begin and I agree, it could reach all levels. I'm on board with Rex Ryan as HC. If nothing else I'll get to smile when I watch his press conferences. I'd be very interested in who he wants to bring in as OC. He has the clout to bring in a big name too IMO. I still like Todd Bowles too. I'm not sure he's ready but word is he's going to get a few phone calls this offseason so it's probably this year or next he gets a shot at HC.

I could careless about Philips. My main problems with him were hiring a generic search firm to hire a GM and some of the stuff in the Lovie era. Someone competent does need to be over the GM to evaluate if they are doing a good job. I have no problem with Phillips on the team.

I completely disagree with you on Emery. I wasn't impressed with his resume when he was hired. He hired Tucker. You have a much more positive spin on his draft picks than I do. I like Alshon and Long, but I think you need more than a Number 2 WR and a Guard in your three drafts. Mills really isn't a player you want staring and Bostic just isn't that good so far imho. I would go on, but I got the flu and it's pointless to argue. Tomorrow, we'll see what happens. I have a lot of reason I don't like Emery, and yes Cutler's contract is one of them. He seems in over his head.

It will be fun to see where the search goes.

I like the idea of Rex as well. You know the defense will improve and his Jets teams have never had any resemblance of a good offense. I still think the offense can be really good, even with Cutler as the QB. Esp. If we can improve the OL in front of him.

I reached a point where even I hated the contract, but really after you look past the whole top paid qb in 2014, the contract really isn't that bad at all. I think people struggle to look past that though.

When you look at it even further, I don't think it was possible to fix the D in one off season regardless of how much Jay made, so front load Jays deal, get the big hit out of the way and create flexibility for beyond this year.

It wouldn't be shocking at all to see Emery go, but I wouldn't be outraged if he isnt

I heard the same on the radio this morning. Therein lies the problem with this franchise. They are fixated on people with relationships with the Bears as late. Ballard may be like Emery a good scout (questionable) but what have either shown that they should be a GM. I think that Emery's lack of experience put him in the position to offer Cutler that obnoxious contract. Emery set the market; I don't believe Jay would have seen that money on the open market and if he did god bless see you down the road. The Bears are quick to extend contracts on flash in the pan moments thinking they might save some money down the road, but then are saddled with shit after the luster wears off.

There's talk of the Bears possibly bringing in Chis Ballard as GM. That's a disaster waiting to happen. 10 years under Angelo, and took Phil Emery's Job when he was hired here.

I never get the dislike for Ted Philips. The guy runs franchise for the owners but has no day-to-day football operations oversight. I really don't care who he gets to run the concessions at Soldier Field, or what he charges for parking, or who advertises with the team. If it's hate because he signed Emery as GM after Angelo? I guess I get that but we weren't always a horrible team under JA and Lovie. We did got to a Superbowl.

Then again, I'm not as down on Emery as everyone else is. I see him bringing in two Pro Bowl WRs when we hadn't had one in a decade. Pro Bowl OG. Re-signing a Pro Bowl RB. First draft sucked but the last two I see starters (Fuller, Long, Bostic, Mills?); future starters or at least solid rotation players (Ferguson, Sutton, Wilson); and a few that look like they'll be decent backups (Greene, Carey, and Washington, and maybe Leno). Don't see much from Fales or Vereen down the road. In the last two drafts I think our depth has improved but it's all very young and inexperienced. Free Agency hasn't been all bad either: Slausson, Bushrod, Young, Martellus, McCown, DLP, Ola, UDFAs -- Al Louis-Jean and Christian Jones. Houston is not looking so good right now, neither is Allen but Allen has played well just not great and not up to the contract we signed him to.

So, as I see it, all roads of hatred lead back to Cutler and his contract. Philips approved it (I don't think he was involved other than to say how much cash on hand we had). Emery devised it. Trestman supported it. Trestman and coaches went behind Cutler's back to complain about him and here we are today. There is a clear disconnect though between GM and coaches regarding Cutler so something, or everything, is going to give.

I'm patiently waiting for the show to begin and I agree, it could reach all levels. I'm on board with Rex Ryan as HC. If nothing else I'll get to smile when I watch his press conferences. I'd be very interested in who he wants to bring in as OC. He has the clout to bring in a big name too IMO. I still like Todd Bowles too. I'm not sure he's ready but word is he's going to get a few phone calls this offseason so it's probably this year or next he gets a shot at HC.

Phillips can keep his job as an account but have no say so on hires. The reason I want Emery gone is not his drafts but him choosing Trestman over Airians, paying Cutler, Marshall, Allen. Those 3 are guaranteed 38.5 mil. for next year. He has made some franchise killing decisions for the next few years. He hit on a few draft picks but has more bad that good.

I think we need to hire Shanahan as our chief, and have him hire a defensive minded coach. Bowles, Ryan or Del Rio would do me just fine.

Phillips can keep his job as an account but have no say so on hires. The reason I want Emery gone is not his drafts but him choosing Trestman over Airians, paying Cutler, Marshall, Allen.

emery: to me... it's WHO he hired. even with the trestman gamble, there is absolutely NO way he can justify tucker. as it turns out that's TWO franchise changing hires that went south and one that couldn't have been a surprise at all. if he stays what credibility does he have hiring the next ones?

as far as phillips? he is 0 for 2 in hiring a GM to make those decisions on who to hire, extend and who to draft. once through a freakin firm who took 2 months to figure out hiring angelo in which time all the viable candidates were LONG gone. the 2nd was entirely his choice in emery. CHOP HIM!!

Well said Lucky

emery: to me... it's WHO he hired. even with the trestman gamble, there is absolutely NO way he can justify tucker. as it turns out that's TWO franchise changing hires that went south and one that couldn't have been a surprise at all. if he stays what credibility does he have hiring the next ones?

as far as phillips? he is 0 for 2 in hiring a GM to make those decisions on who to hire, extend and who to draft. once through a freakin firm who took 2 months to figure out hiring angelo in which time all the viable candidates were LONG gone. the 2nd was entirely his choice in emery. CHOP HIM!!

Same as it ever was...

Same as it ever was...

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome your version of the Oakland Raiders...the McCaskey owned Chicago Bears!

I heard the same on the radio this morning. Therein lies the problem with this franchise. They are fixated on people with relationships with the Bears as late. Ballard may be like Emery a good scout (questionable) but what have either shown that they should be a GM. I think that Emery's lack of experience put him in the position to offer Cutler that obnoxious contract. Emery set the market; I don't believe Jay would have seen that money on the open market and if he did god bless see you down the road. The Bears are quick to extend contracts on flash in the pan moments thinking they might save some money down the road, but then are saddled with shit after the luster wears off.