John Fox leaving the Broncos

'TD'

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like someone stated earlier in the thread, John Fox maybe a good coach however, he is not a great coach. I have seen some of the stats and his record as a head coach and it is barely above .500. I understand the thinking that having a young GM it may be good to match him up with a more experienced head coach yet, it seems like Fox is still a retread. If the latest rumors are accurate, Fox wanted to establish more of a running game versus a passing game. With Elway being a former passing QB, their OC wanting to stay with more passing and Manning griping about have more of a passing game versus a running game tells me that Fox maybe a good choice. Not sure who to definitely bring in and it looks like we'll more likely than not wind up with Fox in place. As much as McCaskey and Philips said that the status quo was not acceptable, this in a way does feel like the status quo to me.

Evidently John Fox was pushing the Bronco's to run more (which we saw during the 2nd half of the season) and it upset Gase / Elway / Manning. However, it was that running that impressed me about the team because they weren't going to beat anybody the way Peyton was playing down the stretch.

And that awareness and adjustment in philosophy is something I like. It was clear Manning was slipping and showing signs of running out of gas, that it was in the best interest of the teams success to start to transition to a more run heavy game plan. And they got good production out of whatever RB they had Moreno, Ball, CJ Anderson. Some of that I'm sure can be attributed to the Manning effect. But I like that he realized what they had been doing wasn't going to carry them down the stretch and made the adjustments to keep the team in the hunt. You play the hand your dealt.

And that awareness and adjustment in philosophy is something I like. It was clear Manning was slipping and showing signs of running out of gas, that it was in the best interest of the teams success to start to transition to a more run heavy game plan. And they got good production out of whatever RB they had Moreno, Ball, CJ Anderson. Some of that I'm sure can be attributed to the Manning effect. But I like that he realized what they had been doing wasn't going to carry them down the stretch and made the adjustments to keep the team in the hunt. You play the hand your dealt.

The more that is coming out on the Elway situation, it sounds like Fox was the smart one. He thought Manning was done and adjusted and significant strides were made in the ground game, etc. Elway has a differing opinion and we will see what happens but I don't blame Fox one bit and I also commend Fox for how he handled the entire situation. It sounds like Elway is an extremely difficult man to work with. And I think it also says something that all of the top assistants are heading elsewhere too.