One Longtime Fan's Opinion

lemonej

Two years after I started watching Bears football games, the longtime coach decided to re-retire and turn the reigns over to a first time head coach and his defensive coordinator. The resulting season was an injury riddled underacheiving season for the team. The star player got injured and the starting QB got injured and on the last game of the season a game in which if the Bears won they had a chance at the playoffs and in the 4th qtr an interception was thrown in the endzone to end the Bears chances.

The year was 1968, the star player was Gayle Sayers who suffered a season ending knee injury(see Brian's Song), the starting QB was Virgil Carter who had replaced Jack Concannon who came to the Bears in the Ditka trade and he suffered a broken leg after Sayers got hurt and made the team go back to him and Rudy Bukich. The team that ended the Bears season that year was The Packers and Ray Nitchske made the pick to seal the Bears fate.

This history review is just a reminder that this franchise has hired or promoted first time head coaches from within or the hot coordinator in the league for over 40 years since the Ol" Man was the coach. The only two exceptions were Jack Pardee who had HC experience in the World Football League and Mike Ditka who basically begged for the job and was just a special teams coordinator in Dallas.These two men produced the second playoff game in my lifetime and the only SB win in my lifetime.

Prior these two and in between there have been first time HC after another who have not fufilled Bears fans dreams. So in the name of Jim Dooley, Abe Gibron, Jack Pardee, Neil Armstrong, Mike Ditka, Dave Wannstedt, Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith and Marc Trestman all first time HCs please kick the tires on John Fox and any other former HC to right this ship.

Two years after I started watching Bears football games, the longtime coach decided to re-retire and turn the reigns over to a first time head coach and his defensive coordinator. The resulting season was an injury riddled underacheiving season for the team. The star player got injured and the starting QB got injured and on the last game of the season a game in which if the Bears won they had a chance at the playoffs and in the 4th qtr an interception was thrown in the endzone to end the Bears chances.

The year was 1968, the star player was Gayle Sayers who suffered a season ending knee injury(see Brian's Song), the starting QB was Virgil Carter who had replaced Jack Concannon who came to the Bears in the Ditka trade and he suffered a broken leg after Sayers got hurt and made the team go back to him and Rudy Bukich. The team that ended the Bears season that year was The Packers and Ray Nitchske made the pick to seal the Bears fate.

This history review is just a reminder that this franchise has hired or promoted first time head coaches from within or the hot coordinator in the league for over 40 years since the Ol" Man was the coach. The only two exceptions were Jack Pardee who had HC experience in the World Football League and Mike Ditka who basically begged for the job and was just a special teams coordinator in Dallas.These two men produced the second playoff game in my lifetime and the only SB win in my lifetime.

Prior these two and in between there have been first time HC after another who have not fufilled Bears fans dreams. So in the name of Jim Dooley, Abe Gibron, Jack Pardee, Neil Armstrong, Mike Ditka, Dave Wannstedt, Dick Jauron, Lovie Smith and Marc Trestman all first time HCs please kick the tires on John Fox and any other former HC to right this ship.

IT is reported the Bears are all in on Fox as HC, so you and I want the same thing. Somebody with experience, Fox fills that role. Actually, I started watching the Bears when they drafted Sayers and Butkus , mid 60s

Well said Lemon. Excellent insight! :notworthy

Well played. My earliest recollections go back to the days of Big Abe, bless his portly soul! I'm with you, for all the hot young guns out there, when someone like Fox becomes available, you have to look. The young gun the Bears hire could be just another in that long, sad line you shared.

IT is reported the Bears are all in on Fox as HC, so you and I want the same thing. Somebody with experience, Fox fills that role. Actually, I started watching the Bears when they drafted Sayers and Butkus , mid 60s

The transistor radio on home games was you best friend wasn't it? lol