Super Bowl Thread

adam

Hard game to pick, I don't like either team but my logical side wants to pick Seattle 24-20, but my gut is telling me NE 27-17.

What do you think?

Also, with the news about the Lynch extension, do you think Seattle can extend Lynch, make Wilson the highest paid QB, extend and give a raise to Wagner, and somehow resign Maxwell? To me Maxwell seems like the odd one out.

is hard to pick one when you don't like either. My hatred for the pats outweighs my hatred of the seahags. Plus the Seahags knocked the team I hate most out of the playoffs.

first quarter was boring second quarter more interesting. Gotta say gutsy call with 6 seconds left to take one crack at the End zone rather than just send out the kicking team. Paid off with a TD. with around 30 seconds left in the half I liked (and was jealous of the aggressiveness. Having watched my Bears have the ball with over a min left several times and always content to let the time run out.

Some take-aways from the game:

1. Worst play call I have ever seen, was that Trestman or Lovie? Their luck ran out after the Kearse catch.

1a. Looked like a Cutler throw, I still feel Wilson is overrated. Can't throw a pick from the 1 there. Horrible throw. He only makes plays when the plays break down, can't live by that type of play.

2. Seattle lost a lot of respect with those antics at the end, no class. Hilarious to see all the smack talking and taunting and you lose.

3. Hard to argue with Brady as best of all time, Manning no longer in his class. Now between Montana and Brady only.

4. Dallas gets penalty picked up against Detroit, Bryant no-catch against GB, GB implodes against Seattle, then Seattle blows it from the 1 yard line. Crazy NFC.

5. We need a speedy WR with hands, Edelman played awesome.

1. Agreed, Carroll is a fool

1a. Wilson is over-rated

2. Stay classy Seattle!

3. Brady to date has not had to win a SB. It was FG's or relying on the opposing QB/HC to f up. Montana, by leaps and bounds. And why does everyone always leave out Bradshaw? Brady is the best in the current modern era. But, not from all time. Sure, Brady put the go ahead score on the board...but it required an epic fail by Seattle's O for them to win. It just seems like there's always something that seems to "help". To be GOAT, you don't rely on that.

4. Crazy indeed.

5. Yup

Some take-aways from the game:

1. Worst play call I have ever seen, was that Trestman or Lovie? Their luck ran out after the Kearse catch.

1a. Looked like a Cutler throw, I still feel Wilson is overrated. Can't throw a pick from the 1 there. Horrible throw. He only makes plays when the plays break down, can't live by that type of play.

2. Seattle lost a lot of respect with those antics at the end, no class. Hilarious to see all the smack talking and taunting and you lose.

3. Hard to argue with Brady as best of all time, Manning no longer in his class. Now between Montana and Brady only.

4. Dallas gets penalty picked up against Detroit, Bryant no-catch against GB, GB implodes against Seattle, then Seattle blows it from the 1 yard line. Crazy NFC.

5. We need a speedy WR with hands, Edelman played awesome.

1. Agreed, Carroll is a fool

1a. Wilson is over-rated

2. Stay classy Seattle!

3. Brady to date has not had to win a SB. It was FG's or relying on the opposing QB/HC to f up. Montana, by leaps and bounds. And why does everyone always leave out Bradshaw? Brady is the best in the current modern era. But, not from all time. Sure, Brady put the go ahead score on the board...but it required an epic fail by Seattle's O for them to win. It just seems like there's always something that seems to "help". To be GOAT, you don't rely on that.

4. Crazy indeed.

5. Yup

1. Carroll sounded like Trestman defending his play call, and you could tell he was lying. Worst offensive call in a Super Bowl due to the risk/reward of the play, 2nd down, and a timeout.

1a. Not to compare QBs, but when Cutler throws a pick like that (which he has), it is always on him. Surprising to see the media look to Bevell and Carroll instead. Wilson threw the ball, it was a bad pass, he led the WR too much, and it was too high. If you have watched any of Seattle's games, almost all of Wilson's completions are when he is out of the pocket on a broken play or he is throwing deep outside routes where there is no Safety help. Eventually teams are going to figure out that he is too short to make passes over the middle. He ended up 12-21 and that included Kearse's circus catch. Basically 60% completions and an INT at the 1 yard line. After his performance in the NFC Championship Game, he is basically why Seattle was in the hole they were against GB and why they lost last night. He is not a top-10 QB.

2. Sore losers, after the penalty by Bennett, which essentially ended the threat, there was no reason to pull a Schiano on a kneel down. I would've respected them a lot more if they lost with dignity, but they went out like babies. Sherman talking all that crap, yet the LOB allowed 14 pts in a 6-minute span in the 4th quarter. At least we can put to rest the 85 Bears comparisons, their defense is good, but that good.

3. All I am saying is you can make a case for him now (which I didn't think you could before). As much as you can say the INT was a big play, the Kearse catch was just as extraordinary. To me Kearse's play was more luck than skill. When you compare the two players, Montana was throwing to the best WR in history, so that helped. He also did not play in the salary cap era. Montana had 8 straight 10+ win seasons, and then Young followed with 8 of his own. Brady is on 11 and his worst record was 9-7. Also, most people don't remember, but SF had a top 5 defense the entire time Montana was QB, so he didn't have to do much to win. To me it is leaning towards Brady now.

4. What that tells me is that teams are closer than they appear. Almost any of the NFC teams could've made the Super Bowl, it was that close.

All other items, I think we're lock-step in agreement on!

3. He's in the argument. True, Montana had more weapons...but he did more with those. Not only did he barely win some games, he outright destroyed the Broncos with Elway. Plus, he never lost a Super Bowl. He's batting a thousand. Plus there are no black clouds of Tuck Rules, filming practices and deflating balls that will always creep into conversation with the Pats. If Brady wins some more and depending how, I may reconsider. Until then, it's still Montana. Just like walter taking a hand-off, I would want no other QB to go under center to deliver a game winning drive than Montana.

1. Carroll sounded like Trestman defending his play call, and you could tell he was lying. Worst offensive call in a Super Bowl due to the risk/reward of the play, 2nd down, and a timeout.

1a. Not to compare QBs, but when Cutler throws a pick like that (which he has), it is always on him. Surprising to see the media look to Bevell and Carroll instead. Wilson threw the ball, it was a bad pass, he led the WR too much, and it was too high. If you have watched any of Seattle's games, almost all of Wilson's completions are when he is out of the pocket on a broken play or he is throwing deep outside routes where there is no Safety help. Eventually teams are going to figure out that he is too short to make passes over the middle. He ended up 12-21 and that included Kearse's circus catch. Basically 60% completions and an INT at the 1 yard line. After his performance in the NFC Championship Game, he is basically why Seattle was in the hole they were against GB and why they lost last night. He is not a top-10 QB.

2. Sore losers, after the penalty by Bennett, which essentially ended the threat, there was no reason to pull a Schiano on a kneel down. I would've respected them a lot more if they lost with dignity, but they went out like babies. Sherman talking all that crap, yet the LOB allowed 14 pts in a 6-minute span in the 4th quarter. At least we can put to rest the 85 Bears comparisons, their defense is good, but that good.

3. All I am saying is you can make a case for him now (which I didn't think you could before). As much as you can say the INT was a big play, the Kearse catch was just as extraordinary. To me Kearse's play was more luck than skill. When you compare the two players, Montana was throwing to the best WR in history, so that helped. He also did not play in the salary cap era. Montana had 8 straight 10+ win seasons, and then Young followed with 8 of his own. Brady is on 11 and his worst record was 9-7. Also, most people don't remember, but SF had a top 5 defense the entire time Montana was QB, so he didn't have to do much to win. To me it is leaning towards Brady now.

4. What that tells me is that teams are closer than they appear. Almost any of the NFC teams could've made the Super Bowl, it was that close.

All other items, I think we're lock-step in agreement on!

3. He's in the argument. True, Montana had more weapons...but he did more with those. Not only did he barely win some games, he outright destroyed the Broncos with Elway. Plus, he never lost a Super Bowl. He's batting a thousand. Plus there are no black clouds of Tuck Rules, filming practices and deflating balls that will always creep into conversation with the Pats. If Brady wins some more and depending how, I may reconsider. Until then, it's still Montana. Just like walter taking a hand-off, I would want no other QB to go under center to deliver a game winning drive than Montana.

Brady has been to 9 conference title games (12 yrs) and won 6, then won 4 Super Bowls. Montana has been to 6 conference title games (9 yrs), won 4, then won all 4 Super Bowls. Montana would have to get to 3 more title games in 3 years to match Brady's sustained success. I really think this 4th puts him over the edge, against one of the best defenses of all time.

You can take Brady. I'll take Montana.

Let's also not forget, Montana didn't exactly go through the playoffs in that era against easy D's. He played in the era of the Redskins D. The Taylor led Giants. The Bears. The Cowboys. Etc. While the Seahawks are great now, they pale by comparison to the violent carnage that those D's put forth in that era.

I've seen both guys play. To me, Montana is the better QB. Both are HOF's. Both are in the top of all time. I just take Montana each and every time. Again, it's like Walter over Emmit Smith. Sure, Smith has more championships, yard, etc. But Walter was better. And all else equal, that's the guy I want handling the ball when it matters most. Same with Montana.

Brady has been to 9 conference title games (12 yrs) and won 6, then won 4 Super Bowls. Montana has been to 6 conference title games (9 yrs), won 4, then won all 4 Super Bowls. Montana would have to get to 3 more title games in 3 years to match Brady's sustained success. I really think this 4th puts him over the edge, against one of the best defenses of all time.

With you on this one brother. Joe was the thorn in my football hopes back in the day.

You can take Brady. I'll take Montana.

Let's also not forget, Montana didn't exactly go through the playoffs in that era against easy D's. He played in the era of the Redskins D. The Taylor led Giants. The Bears. The Cowboys. Etc. While the Seahawks are great now, they pale by comparison to the violent carnage that those D's put forth in that era.

I've seen both guys play. To me, Montana is the better QB. Both are HOF's. Both are in the top of all time. I just take Montana each and every time. Again, it's like Walter over Emmit Smith. Sure, Smoth has more championships, yard, etc. But Walter was better. And all else equal, that's the guy I want handling the ball when it matters most. Same with Montana.

poor clock management made that even worse. Twice they had to burn time outs because the play clock was ready to expire. By the time they got to the one they had one time out, had they not had to burn them the would have been able to make multiple run attempts. But even with that you still had one time out and should have run it. if you get in you win, if you don't you call the time out or hurry up and run it twice then burn a time out. But to call that play at the 1 with compressed routes made no sense. If your going to throw it, do play action or read option after you run it at least once more. Really did look like our type of play call. Then even after you blow it you give up an offsides and basically make their job easy to just kneel. Then you start a fight when the game is over. Going into this game I couldn't decide really who I disliked more and who to root for. But to blow the game and then pick a fight in the Super Bowl of all games. Real classy Seattle, but then again consider their coach.

I would go with Tom Brady over Joe and Terry and the only reason would be that Tom did it while playing with a Salary Cap.

I have only seen highlights of Terry Bradshaw so its hard for me to basis my opinion on game film comparison.

I did grow up watching a lot of Joe Montana. Joe was awesome. It is hard to say Tom was better. I would almost rank them both #1 and the reason I would gibe Tom the nod I have already mentioned above.

You certainly have the right to be wrong! ;)

I would go with Tom Brady over Joe and Terry and the only reason would be that Tom did it while playing with a Salary Cap.

I have only seen highlights of Terry Bradshaw so its hard for me to basis my opinion on game film comparison.

I did grow up watching a lot of Joe Montana. Joe was awesome. It is hard to say Tom was better. I would almost rank them both #1 and the reason I would gibe Tom the nod I have already mentioned above.