Forte wants to come back to Chicago

DABEARSDABOMB

I realize over the past year, this board has warmed up to Jay, but Forte goes to bat for Jay again. I will say, I hope the Bears and Forte can figure out something reasonable to allow Forte to retire a Bear.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ys-a-huge-role

Impending free agent Matt Forte hit the dreaded age of 30. He has piled up more than 2,000 carries in his eight-year career, catching nearly 500 passes as well. He's coming off a season that saw him miss three games due to injury, which led to the emergence of rookie Jeremy Langford and, as a result, might make Forte expendable in the eyes of Bears general manager Ryan Pace. After all, nobody likes handing 30-year-old running backs huge contracts.

And that means Forte very well might be playing for another team come next September. On Friday, during Forte's appearance on NFL Network, he made it clear that his priority this offseason isn't landing money, it's about finding a team that can win championships, which have avoided Forte to this point in this career.

"It's not even about the money," Forte said. "I want to be in the Super Bowls."

Now, with that being said, Forte sounded like he would welcome a return to Chicago, even though the Bears just finished off their second consecutive losing season. In 2015, the Bears showed signs of life after a miserable 5-11 season, but they still won just six games.

"If it was up to me, I'd be there already," Forte told CBS Sports Network. "I started my career there and I'd like to finish there. I just want to win at this point. ... I just want to continue my legacy there."

Another big reason why Forte wants to return: Jay Cutler.

Forte was posed a hypothetical scenario in which the Bears and another team offered him the same amount of money. He was then was asked by the NFL Network crew about the role Cutler would play in him coming back to the Bears if that scenario presented itself. This is what he had to say about Cutler:

"He's a huge role. He's been there since my second year. I'm comfortable with him in the backfield. Despite what everybody says about him, I think he's grown a lot as a quarterback and as a person after being married, having kids -- you can't help but grow up. I think he's grown a lot as a quarterback too. ... There's a learning curve if you go to a team and everything's new."

Since Cutler arrived in Chicago in 2009, Forte has been Cutler's security blanket and, in some cases, his favorite target, catching 424 passes and 15 touchdowns. The two also seem to have a healthy relationship (unlike Cutler and Brandon Marshall), evidenced by their quotes after the final game of the 2015 season, which might be their last game together.

Zach Zaidman

Cutler on Forte: "An unbelievable teammate. Unbelievable friend. A true professional in every sense of the word, on & off the field." #Bears

Zach Zaidman

RB Matt Forte on Jay Cutler: “I really wanted to talk to Jay and give him a big hug because it’s been tough."

Zach Zaidman

"[Jay Cutler's] one of the toughest guys I’ve ever been around," said #Bears RB Matt Forte. "I respect him so much."

Cutler's future in Chicago appears to be safe. At the end of the season, Pace said that the Bears would "build the offense around him." At this point, it's unclear if Forte fits into that offense.

Saw that interview. Forte is a class act and after listening to him I'm thinking there is some middle ground where we can come to terms with him.

Forte is a smart man and he knows what the going value for RBs at his age is. He trains with Frank Gore every offseason and I think that contract is in his ballpark. With two young guns on rookie deals, the Bears can spare the change on a 2-3 year deal. I also think Langford/Carey respect Forte highly and they can continue learning from him. Forte knows how to prepare and take care of himself and that has kept him healthy and extended his career.

Either way the Bears go, they will most likely look for a veteran to be in the mix. Why not show the young players that doing everything right can pay if the price is in range.

Forte is a smart man and he knows what the going value for RBs at his age is. He trains with Frank Gore every offseason and I think that contract is in his ballpark. With two young guns on rookie deals, the Bears can spare the change on a 2-3 year deal. I also think Langford/Carey respect Forte highly and they can continue learning from him. Forte knows how to prepare and take care of himself and that has kept him healthy and extended his career.

Either way the Bears go, they will most likely look for a veteran to be in the mix. Why not show the young players that doing everything right can pay if the price is in range.

I think Gore's contract hurts Forte, because he did not deliver what Indy thought they would get.

I think Gore's contract hurts Forte, because he did not deliver what Indy thought they would get.

Indy has had trouble with RBs since Luck got there and Gore is on team 3 now and has had a history of knee injuries. In the case of Indy I think its their blocking scheme and OL talent because Luck got hit a lot also.