2. Hunter Henry, TE, ARK

3. Scooby Wright, LB, Arizona

4. Jaylon Smith, OLB, ND

4. Bronson Kaufusi, DE, BYU

5. Joe Haeg, OT, NDSU

6. Jayron Kearse, FS, Clemson

6. Kevin Hogan, QB, Stan.

7. Dan Vitale, FB, NW

I like Rds 4-7 much better than Rds 1-3. I just don't see Hargreaves as a great fit for what Fangio wants in press coverage, nor having the size downfield to contest taller receivers. In Lovie's cover-2 he's a great fit.

I don't see good value in Hunter Henry in Rd 2 compared to what else is available, especially the DT talent or maybe grabbing a better OT prospect. IMO for TE the value curve fits best around the 4th Rd and I'd be just as happy with a guy like Higbee in the 4th or 5th.

Scooby followed by Smith? ...not a fan of back to back ILBs. The rounds they were selected in is likely to swap now that Smith appears to be recovering well. If we took Smith in the 3rd Rd would we really take Wright in the 4th? I doubt it.

----

On a side note: Most of us are not looking at RBs but we've done enough poking around in FA to make me think we will be drafting one. One of these days I need to start watching some film on them.

Fairy tale? I'd be ecstatic about this.

1. Vernon Hargreaves, CB, UF

2. Hunter Henry, TE, ARK

4. Jaylon Smith, OLB, ND

5. Joe Haeg, OT, NDSU

7. Dan Vitale, FB, NW

I would be right there with you on those choices. The first 3 are quite realistic but I think Smith is long gone by the 4th round. I think he goes in the second round.

I just don't see Hargreaves as a great fit for what Fangio wants in press coverage, nor having the size downfield to contest taller receivers. In Lovie's cover-2 he's a great fit.

I thought the same thing at first, but the more I look at it, I don't think that's true. The 49ers drafted some big corners when Fangio was there, but the main corners when the 49ers defense was most effective were Carlos Rogers (6'0" 195), Tarell Brown (5'11" 190) and Perrish Cox (5'11" 195), so it wasn't exactly biggest group. Plus they drafted Jimmie Ward while he was there as a CB/S and he was 5'11" 193.

Then you look at the Bears CBs who have played under Fangio. Fuller is 6'0" 190, but Porter is 5'11" 190 and they gave snaps to 5'10" 185 Bryce Callahan (who is the current de facto nickel) and cut bigger guys like Al Louis Jean.

At 5'10" 204, Hargreaves is not much different than those other guys, he's thicker, so he should be more effective jamming receivers at his size, and he's the clear cut best or second best corner in the class (depending on your position preference for Ramsey). Plus, he's known as a physical guy who supports the run and can effectively press, which is what Fangio wants from his CBs, so I don't really see Hargreaves' size being a deterrent.

I like Rds 4-7 much better than Rds 1-3. I just don't see Hargreaves as a great fit for what Fangio wants in press coverage, nor having the size downfield to contest taller receivers. In Lovie's cover-2 he's a great fit.

I don't see good value in Hunter Henry in Rd 2 compared to what else is available, especially the DT talent or maybe grabbing a better OT prospect. IMO for TE the value curve fits best around the 4th Rd and I'd be just as happy with a guy like Higbee in the 4th or 5th.

Scooby followed by Smith? ...not a fan of back to back ILBs. The rounds they were selected in is likely to swap now that Smith appears to be recovering well. If we took Smith in the 3rd Rd would we really take Wright in the 4th? I doubt it.

----

On a side note: Most of us are not looking at RBs but we've done enough poking around in FA to make me think we will be drafting one. One of these days I need to start watching some film on them.

I get what you're saying. My thoughts on your contestations:

-Hargreaves is a monster. An athletic freak. He fits any scheme. I don't buy the "he can't press" stuff. He'll be just fine.

-Hunter Henry is the best TE in the draft. I like the late value TEs too, but he's pro-ready and has virtually no flaws.

-Scooby & Smith was definitely odd, but when I saw Smith still there the value was too high. I see either as being scheme versatile, and if Scooby ends up outside - where he has pretty good rush moves - that wouldn't upset me at all. Smith might go later, but at this point it's just uncertain how the teams will feel about his medical situation. Scooby - Trevathan - Freeman - Smith would look incredible.

-RBs - You're probably right, but it's the best mock I can do. I don't want the Bears to get a RB unless Derrick Henry falls to the third, in which case, he'd be a great value pick.

I thought the same thing at first, but the more I look at it, I don't think that's true. The 49ers drafted some big corners when Fangio was there, but the main corners when the 49ers defense was most effective were Carlos Rogers (6'0" 195), Tarell Brown (5'11" 190) and Perrish Cox (5'11" 195), so it wasn't exactly biggest group. Plus they drafted Jimmie Ward while he was there as a CB/S and he was 5'11" 193.

Then you look at the Bears CBs who have played under Fangio. Fuller is 6'0" 190, but Porter is 5'11" 190 and they gave snaps to 5'10" 185 Bryce Callahan (who is the current de facto nickel) and cut bigger guys like Al Louis Jean.

At 5'10" 204, Hargreaves is not much different than those other guys, he's thicker, so he should be more effective jamming receivers at his size, and he's the clear cut best or second best corner in the class (depending on your position preference for Ramsey). Plus, he's known as a physical guy who supports the run and can effectively press, which is what Fangio wants from his CBs, so I don't really see Hargreaves' size being a deterrent.

It's not necessarily size sometimes it attitude. Some guys just love getting into your grill and making you work hard. Others can do it but prefer to be off a bit and use their athleticism to get back into position to make the play. I feel Hargreaves is the latter. Watching games against Alabama, Ole Miss, and Tenn I see:

Elite cat-like quickness, excellent burst.

Good speed but not elite long speed. He does not have the extra gear to catch up to WRs in the NFL.

When tackling he prefers to take out the knees. He is not (at least I haven't yet seen) a square up tackler. If he does not dive at your knees (good RBs will at times set that up and make him miss 2:10 in the Tenn video) then he will side-slip and grab and drag.

His quickness and burst make him good in run support because he can cover 10 yards so fast to get where he needs to be. This guy is not going to ever be considered a shutdown CB IMO. His quickness will get him INTs when the QBs throws behind the WR.

In press coverage I see a guy who will reach out and quickly try to mirror a WR. Can he jam someone at the LOS? Maybe, but I'd like to see it before I buy it.

Eli Apple has some of the same traits but you can also find some plays where he squares up on a RB and makes the tackle.

I'm not a big fan of his but a smaller but more pesky Mackenzie Alexander seems to fit the bill a bit better.

I'll spend some time this weekend (starts today for me) and review the CBs.

2. Hunter Henry, TE, ARK

4. Jaylon Smith, OLB, ND

5. Joe Haeg, OT, NDSU

7. Dan Vitale, FB, NW

Ehhhh....

I've gotta watch the film myself on Hargreaves, but from what I've read he's a good press corner. AZ says otherwise so I'll have to check for myself.

Henry is kind of a meh pick.

I still have zero interest in Scooby. Even moreso now with Trev and Freeman on board. Doesn't make much sense, and I don't think his skillet matches what the bears want in an ILB.

In the 4th I would be fine with Smith. Though at this point in your draft there are pretty important roles left in S, backup/starting OT, backup QB, and possibly a starting 5 tech(still have no idea what to think about the DL other that Hicks/Goldman). I'm not sure they opt to take Smith with holes elsewhere.

Bronson is meh.

I like Haeg, Kearse, Hogan and Vitale, but I don't think any of them is realistic in where you drafted them.

He's also a good point returner or int returner for those who don't get to watch many Florida games. I'd love him as a bear.

As far as your mock, I could dip without back to back lbs and prioritize Smith granted he checks over Wright. I'd like a Rush project over a Fb too.

All in all, it's one of the best drafts I've seen on this board though.

Ehhhh....

I've gotta watch the film myself on Hargreaves, but from what I've read he's a good press corner. AZ says otherwise so I'll have to check for myself.

Henry is kind of a meh pick.

I still have zero interest in Scooby. Even moreso now with Trev and Freeman on board. Doesn't make much sense, and I don't think his skillet matches what the bears want in an ILB.

In the 4th I would be fine with Smith. Though at this point in your draft there are pretty important roles left in S, backup/starting OT, backup QB, and possibly a starting 5 tech(still have no idea what to think about the DL other that Hicks/Goldman). I'm not sure they opt to take Smith with holes elsewhere.

Bronson is meh.

I like Haeg, Kearse, Hogan and Vitale, but I don't think any of them is realistic in where you drafted them.

Hargreaves is a stud, I have thought he would be a bad pick because Fangio valves height and are length,but he could very well be the BPA at our pick, and after reading and watching film on him would not have a problem with him.

Henry is not a special player but will be a starter in the NFL and end up being better than anyone on our team right now.

Scooby is listed as both I and O LBers positions depending on where you look. He will end up being a good NFL player, a highly intelligent and football instincts. He will be a good player that could transcend into one of our OLBers, but then according to you we dont need any. Look at his stats from two years ago before the injury and you may think more highly of him.

Bronson is taken low enough that if he is a miss will not be devastating but has some good tape on him.

2. Hunter Henry, TE, ARK

4. Jaylon Smith, OLB, ND

5. Joe Haeg, OT, NDSU

7. Dan Vitale, FB, NW

Did you do this from FanSpeak, or just looking at draft boards? I did a Fanspeak draft today with a similar approach to yours (except I'm not a fan of a TE early) and came out with this:

1) Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

2) Vernon Butler, DE, Louisiana Tech

3) Sean Davis, S, Maryland

4) Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

4) Dak Prescott, QB, Miss St.

5) Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota St.

6) Ben Braunecker, TE, Harvard

6) Josh Ferguson, RB, Illinois

7) Malcolm Mitchell, WR, Georgia

I can't see Scooby at 6'0" with short 30" arms playing OLB in a 3-4. Especially when you consider he isn't all that fast. He would get swallowed up playing the edge.

Sorry bro, but

keeps him from getting swallowed up. And his hands during the rush are excellent. Add those to great effort, excellent pursuit, and I don't really think he'll have an issue. I think he's going to be a draft steal.

Did you do this from FanSpeak, or just looking at draft boards? I did a Fanspeak draft today with a similar approach to yours (except I'm not a fan of a TE early) and came out with this:

1) Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida

2) Vernon Butler, DE, Louisiana Tech

3) Sean Davis, S, Maryland

4) Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame

4) Dak Prescott, QB, Miss St.

5) Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota St.

6) Ben Braunecker, TE, Harvard

6) Josh Ferguson, RB, Illinois

7) Malcolm Mitchell, WR, Georgia

Yep! I almost went Vernon, Vernon like you did, but I really think Hunter Henry could be a special player at TE. He's got all the skills, and he might even beat out Miller in the first year.