PFW top prospects

ASHKUM BEAR

I like to read his articles but Sua Cravens as the 6th best prospect in this draft?

That is his grade, not necessarily where he gets drafted. With his athletic ability, football IQ, and play on the field, they rate him high. They also state he will not fit with all teams and will have to be used similiar to Arz's Deonne Buchanon as a hybrid SS/LB.

That is his grade, not necessarily where he gets drafted. With his athletic ability, football IQ, and play on the field, they rate him high. They also state he will not fit with all teams and will have to be used similiar to Arz's Deonne Buchanon as a hybrid SS/LB.

No other draft projection has him rated that high.

I wouldn't either, that is one mans perspective and not mine. He worked many years as an NFL scout for the Giants and Bears, so it is interesting to see how he see's some players.

He was also there when we had many of our WTF moments in the first couple rounds. Seeing Sua Cravens ranked so high might explain some of that.

He was also there when we had many of our WTF moments in the first couple rounds. Seeing Sua Cravens ranked so high might explain some of that.

He has been very hard on Cravens lately though. Who knows how long ago it was when he did this and how is he getting the information if he is no longer a scout? With Cravens, who didn't show enough speed on his pro day, is refusing personal workouts on team visits. He is saying that by refusing these, he is dropping.

I understand the grades vs. drafted nonetheless Gabriel's evaluation doesn't hold up IMO.

Cravens ran a 4.66 forty, 27in vertical, 16 reps @ 225lbs, 3-cone 6.92sec. Everyone highlights one thing with him: He can play the position Deonne Bucannon plays. Bucannon ran a 4.49 forty, 19 reps, and 36" vertical and 3-cone 6.96sec.

With those measurements they are a somewhat comparable but still Cravens shows up as the more limited player in space. We're talking about the 6th overall ranking by Gabriel and the more athletic Bucannon was drafted 27th overall. QB's get drafted higher than their grades warrant because of the criticality of the position. It's true as well for LT and edge rushers. But I can't see anyone drafting a slow in-the-box S/OLB in the top 10 and I doubt Cravens even goes in the 1st Rd.

FWIW I said many weeks ago that I'm not a fan of Cravens. I just don't see anything special on tape to warrant an early pick in the draft 1st or 2nd Rd. I think his combine and pro day numbers back that up. No matter the need I feel there are better players available in the first two rounds of the draft, and there are similar players available later in the draft.

I understand the grades vs. drafted nonetheless Gabriel's evaluation doesn't hold up IMO.

Cravens ran a 4.66 forty, 27in vertical, 16 reps @ 225lbs, 3-cone 6.92sec. Everyone highlights one thing with him: He can play the position Deonne Bucannon plays. Bucannon ran a 4.49 forty, 19 reps, and 36" vertical and 3-cone 6.96sec.

With those measurements they are a somewhat comparable but still Cravens shows up as the more limited player in space. We're talking about the 6th overall ranking by Gabriel and the more athletic Bucannon was drafted 27th overall. QB's get drafted higher than their grades warrant because of the criticality of the position. It's true as well for LT and edge rushers. But I can't see anyone drafting a slow in-the-box S/OLB in the top 10 and I doubt Cravens even goes in the 1st Rd.

FWIW I said many weeks ago that I'm not a fan of Cravens. I just don't see anything special on tape to warrant an early pick in the draft 1st or 2nd Rd. I think his combine and pro day numbers back that up. No matter the need I feel there are better players available in the first two rounds of the draft, and there are similar players available later in the draft.

I wouldn't take Cravens at all to be honest. I never even read what was wrote about him or payed attention to the grades. He wouldn't be on the Bears board unless they think he can play SS, which I prefer more natural DBs over tweeners.

I posted this mainly to get a former scouts evaluation on players I think the Bears would be interested in.

I wouldn't take Cravens at all to be honest. I never even read what was wrote about him or payed attention to the grades. He wouldn't be on the Bears board unless they think he can play SS, which I prefer more natural DBs over tweeners.

I posted this mainly to get a former scouts evaluation on players I think the Bears would be interested in.

I think Gabriel has a lot of good things to say but he is not always right, just one of many opinions that knowledgeable people have. I think you evaluate information and draw your own conclusion. How many smart people passed up on Brady when he was drafted in the 6th round, all of them.

Scouts only have to be right some of the time, nobody is right all the time.

the keys to a player

evaluation but next is development, and then staying healthy.

I place a lot of valve on production, desire, work ethic then add in the physical straits.

Some work out and some dont, I want the Bears to hit on everything but the truth is many wont.

They gave Porter a minimum contract and he produced. Ball got a few bucks and didnt . you have to keep going to the well until you build a team and hope it stays healthy and then we may luck out and got to a SB again.

I think Gabriel has a lot of good things to say but he is not always right, just one of many opinions that knowledgeable people have. I think you evaluate information and draw your own conclusion. How many smart people passed up on Brady when he was drafted in the 6th round, all of them.

Scouts only have to be right some of the time, nobody is right all the time.

the keys to a player

evaluation but next is development, and then staying healthy.

I place a lot of valve on production, desire, work ethic then add in the physical straits.

Some work out and some dont, I want the Bears to hit on everything but the truth is many wont.

They gave Porter a minimum contract and he produced. Ball got a few bucks and didnt . you have to keep going to the well until you build a team and hope it stays healthy and then we may luck out and got to a SB again.

Exactly. It is one guys opinion and if he was still working in the NFL, the GM is the one making the calls.

Exactly. It is one guys opinion and if he was still working in the NFL, the GM is the one making the calls.

Of course opinions are different but what matters is understanding how that scout views prospects. There are people who will place more value to speed and raw physical ability, while others place more value to the football skills. Some put more weight toward big schools and level of competition than others might. What characteristics for each position do they put the most weight on? If you follow someone enough you can start to figure out how they grade prospects.

Of course opinions are different but what matters is understanding how that scout views prospects. There are people who will place more value to speed and raw physical ability, while others place more value to the football skills. Some put more weight toward big schools and level of competition than others might. What characteristics for each position do they put the most weight on? If you follow someone enough you can start to figure out how they grade prospects.

Exactly. You follow someone enough and they constantly get a chubby when combine warriors put up crazy bench reps or a stupid 40 time, then you know he's an "athlete above football player" kind of guy. But there are others who don't care about that stuff and see guys who rack up 100+ tackles or constantly get open, despite unimpressive physical attributes.

I like the latter approach. Guys like Nkemdiche, Oakman, and the no-name German WR are exciting, and have potentially higher ceilings, but the other guys who killed it for four years at mid-majors have lower floors. I'm a way bigger fan of not shooting the moon, picking a ton of B+ guys with upside. Give me Day Ngyuen and Zach Thomas all day over some pool-jumping dickhead.