Playoff Caliber Defense?

adam

DLine is still pretty good. They used the off season to address the LB situation and i think they will be a solid group. As Dawhizz said, our secondary still has question marks and i am not sure they are that good. They still might be able to sign someone secondary help with cuts but we might have to wait until next draft to focus on the back of the D.

still, they should be much improved from last year

I don't see a playoff D on the horizon yet. There are too many young players we are going to rely on including: Floyd, Bullard, and one of the 3 draftees at safety (or HJQ). While I like the outlook for the future these players they have a lot to learn. Over at CB we have decent players but Porter is only going to be what he was last year so we'd need Fuller to step up in a big way. That is unless Floyd becomes an instant terror off the edge as a pass rusher. There will be some bumps in the road early on but having two good players like Freeman and Trevathan in the middle will help these other players a lot.

Let's see...

19th in total yards allowed.

10th in rushing yards allowed. (somehow)

29th in passing yards allowed.

Think about that second number for a second. 10th in rushing yards allowed. That's with Ego, Sutton, Unrein, and Washington at DE. That combination of guys scares nobody in the NFL. And that's with Christian Jones, SMC, and Timu at ILB. For the record, that's undrafted, shouldn't have been drafted, undrafted.

Upgrades:

DE-Akiem Hicks is an auto-starter, and known as a good run D guy

DE-Jonathan Bullard adds depth at worst, and good talent vs the run

ILB-Danny Trevathan bolsters run D significantly, rated high vs run

ILB-Jerrell Freeman bolsters run D significantly, rated high vs run

Those additions alone should turn the team into a much better run D...which is scary.

Some may say, "The run D was good because everyone could easily pass on them."

Well, consider the following:

-Pernell McPhee is still going to be good, if not better.

-Lamarr Houston was clearly recovering from his ACL tear at the beginning of the year, and really got strong at the end of the year. He had twice as many tackles in his last 6 games last year as he did in the first 10 games.

-Willie Young had 5.5 sacks and 17 tackles the 2nd half of the season. He had 1 sack and 7 tackles in the 1st half. Clearly his injury was affecting him.

-Oh, let's throw in Leonard Floyd, who is certain to get to the QB a few times.

Do you think those guys will shrink the pocket size and time to stand around? I think so. There goes the "they didn't have to run because they could throw so easily"-argument.

We'll see how it all plays out, but I can't see how this D doesn't drastically improve.

Let's see...

19th in total yards allowed.

10th in rushing yards allowed. (somehow)

29th in passing yards allowed.

Think about that second number for a second. 10th in rushing yards allowed. That's with Ego, Sutton, Unrein, and Washington at DE. That combination of guys scares nobody in the NFL. And that's with Christian Jones, SMC, and Timu at ILB. For the record, that's undrafted, shouldn't have been drafted, undrafted.

Upgrades:

DE-Akiem Hicks is an auto-starter, and known as a good run D guy

DE-Jonathan Bullard adds depth at worst, and good talent vs the run

ILB-Danny Trevathan bolsters run D significantly, rated high vs run

ILB-Jerrell Freeman bolsters run D significantly, rated high vs run

Those additions alone should turn the team into a much better run D...which is scary.

Some may say, "The run D was good because everyone could easily pass on them."

Well, consider the following:

-Pernell McPhee is still going to be good, if not better.

-Lamarr Houston was clearly recovering from his ACL tear at the beginning of the year, and really got strong at the end of the year. He had twice as many tackles in his last 6 games last year as he did in the first 10 games.

-Willie Young had 5.5 sacks and 17 tackles the 2nd half of the season. He had 1 sack and 7 tackles in the 1st half. Clearly his injury was affecting him.

-Oh, let's throw in Leonard Floyd, who is certain to get to the QB a few times.

Do you think those guys will shrink the pocket size and time to stand around? I think so. There goes the "they didn't have to run because they could throw so easily"-argument.

We'll see how it all plays out, but I can't see how this D doesn't drastically improve.

The one area we need drastic improvement in is turnovers. That is why addressing the pass rush was monument and why we moved up in the first round.

I think Goldman, Hicks and Bullard address up front pressure much better that will be felt on the back end of the defense.

Once Floyd is up to speed, you have McPhee and Floyd aiding the edge rush,Freeman also adds to some inside pressure, with not much from Trevathan.

What it does most is give Fangio more options to expand his rush schemes.

As far as TOs hopefully the extra pressure with have positive results.

On paper we've strengthened the front 7, which should in turn help the secondary but won't by default fix it. That area still is a question mark and has been for years. I do like how we are going about things by focusing on the line first and working outward. It all starts up front, if you don't get pressure on the QB or stop the run it only further exposes your weakness at second level both as a safety valve and coverage ability. But if you can contain the run and get after the QB you can force them in to bad throws giving your secondary more opportunities at big plays. When our D was last dominant one thing we did extremely well was take the ball away. It gives the secondary more freedom to make plays. Don't know how our D will look this coming season but I have to think it will be improved but only time will tell.