Well interesting news

Wesson44

Chandler looks mildly interesting when looking at his rotoworld notes. Here are some interesting notes.

After training with Panthers OT Nate Chandler the past two summers, Hall of Fame LT Jackie Slater claimed "there's no doubt in my mind he's a top left tackle."

A converted defensive tackle, 25-year-old Chandler made eight 2013 starts, six at guard and two at right tackle. He's now battling Byron Bell to start on Cam Newton's blind side. "He's mentally equipped to solve problems, and that's what you have to do to play offensive tackle in this league," said Slater, a seven-time Pro Bowler who's now the OL coach at Azusa Pacific University. "He's going to be a good offensive lineman in the National Football League for a very long time."

Bears signed T/G Nate Chandler, formerly of the Panthers.

It's another worthwhile pickup for Bears GM Ryan Pace, who's gotten off to a fast start since replacing Phil Emery two winters ago. 27-year-old Chandler is well regarded amongst media offensive line evaluators and offers 19 games of starting experience with the ability to handle both guard and tackle. Chicago's biggest weakness is left tackle, where Charles Leno presently resides

He was hurt last year so that could explain why he was still available.

Chandler looks mildly interesting when looking at his rotoworld notes. Here are some interesting notes.

After training with Panthers OT Nate Chandler the past two summers, Hall of Fame LT Jackie Slater claimed "there's no doubt in my mind he's a top left tackle."

A converted defensive tackle, 25-year-old Chandler made eight 2013 starts, six at guard and two at right tackle. He's now battling Byron Bell to start on Cam Newton's blind side. "He's mentally equipped to solve problems, and that's what you have to do to play offensive tackle in this league," said Slater, a seven-time Pro Bowler who's now the OL coach at Azusa Pacific University. "He's going to be a good offensive lineman in the National Football League for a very long time."

Bears signed T/G Nate Chandler, formerly of the Panthers.

It's another worthwhile pickup for Bears GM Ryan Pace, who's gotten off to a fast start since replacing Phil Emery two winters ago. 27-year-old Chandler is well regarded amongst media offensive line evaluators and offers 19 games of starting experience with the ability to handle both guard and tackle. Chicago's biggest weakness is left tackle, where Charles Leno presently resides

He was hurt last year so that could explain why he was still available.

kicking the tires, and if the tires are flat, we can move on to the next option, one of these will stick evenually

Amazing how far Jake Long has fallen. If he had anything left there's no way the Bears wouldn't have signed him over an unproven OT like Chandler.

Chandler is an odd signing because he's got very little experience (none at LT) and is not what I want as a backup OT. At this point I have to assume the coaches compared his workout against Long's and he won but that's just blocking air. How he performs in the preseason, along with the others in the position battle like Kling, is something to watch because it's looking like we have a big talent drop off behind Massie and Leno.

If the glass is half full I'd say this signing indicates the coaches are actually fairly high on either Kling or Becton filling this role. If the glass is half empty Hoyer better be ready to play.

Amazing how far Jake Long has fallen. If he had anything left there's no way the Bears wouldn't have signed him over an unproven OT like Chandler.

Chandler is an odd signing because he's got very little experience (none at LT) and is not what I want as a backup OT. At this point I have to assume the coaches compared his workout against Long's and he won but that's just blocking air. How he performs in the preseason, along with the others in the position battle like Kling, is something to watch because it's looking like we have a big talent drop off behind Massie and Leno.

If the glass is half full I'd say this signing indicates the coaches are actually fairly high on either Kling or Becton filling this role. If the glass is half empty Hoyer better be ready to play.

I read where Loggins is more likely to move Jay around. Roll outs, move the pocket, I think there are just looking for a backup at swing tackle with a vet that has time in the trenches. I dont think their are actually looking for a starter at LT. I think are set and what makes this OL better is better depth along the line. I think Massie and Long with prove to be a very reliable right side of the line, which is where our power running will come from. Roll outs to the right, moving the pocket. I think any deficiencies will be addressed by scheme.

I don't view it that way. I think they saw a guy with 6 less years, much less injury history, and leaned heavily towards him. It fits the M.O. of this staff, since they're all about finding the guys who are rising veterans who have a few years under the belt and untapped potential.