How many WRs do the Bears need?

jason

Looking at the draft class, there are many available options for the Bears to pursue this year. The problem, of course, is the other 4-5 needs that supersede the WR issues. While Cam Meredith had a good season, it's not the first time Chicago has seen a promising WR do virtually nothing (i.e. Marquess Wilson, Royal, Bellamy, Aromashodu, Iglesias, Lloyd, Gage, Bradley, etc.). Well, sometimes those guys do something after leaving Chicago, but that's a different issue.

If Braverman was the answer at slot, he likely would have seen more of the field when the WRs were dropping every third pass. Meanwhile, Kevin White is still a complete unknown. A wild card. Can he be trusted to be a starting WR? Do the Bears really have a choice?

The Bears have a very real possibility of walking into the 2017 season with only Cam Meredith as a viable, if yet unproven, WR on their roster. That's terrifying. It would virtually guarantee stunted offensive development of any rookie signal caller.

Resign Alshon, and at least one WR (slot) is needed.

Don't resign Alshon, and at least two WRs (slot & his replacement) are needed.

Luckily for the Bears, this draft class of WRs is deep. After the Senior Bowl, one would think stock in Zay Jones would be sky-rocketing. He looked pretty unguardable. For some reason, however, he's plugged into the 4th round range on most boards/mocks. Similarly, Ryan Switzer must be wondering what he has to do to get some love. He catches nearly everything, and what he lacks in size and breakaway speed, he makes up for in shiftiness. He could shake most NFL safeties in a phone booth. He's a perfect complementary, slot WR. He's an underneath option that doesn't look all that fast, but is

and is
Check out some of the pub Switzer got from the Senior Bowl.

Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea for the Bears to invest a little into WR this year?

This post is why I can't see any legitimate reason to let Alshon walk. I am okay trading him (for ideally a late 1st, but realistically, I'm open to a 2nd plus a future pick), but then we have a pick to help add other players. In terms of free agency, I am a fan of Terryl Prior. I saw enough to be okay with Meredith though, but we clearly can't rely on White. If it were me, if I had doubts on Alshon long term, I'd trade him...if I didn't have doubts, I'd sign him long-term. I can't let him walk because we are already in too much of a bind.

Me personally, I'd keep him (because I tend to think he's a pretty damn good wideout) and in the context of our cap situation, we can afford to do it and thus focus on other things.

I'd trade Alshon for a 3rd Rd pick. I don't think we'd get any more than that anyway. Alshon's availability the last few years has been bad, and even in games he's played he's often less than full speed. He remains the only player I've ever heard of getting injured in a walk-through practice. I suspect he'll come down in his salary expectations and will end up being a Bear for a few more seasons.

Cam Meredith has played well enough through 3 QBs for us to know he's a reliable WR. In fact at times he's was clearly our #1 option for other teams to stop and he still produced. We've seen far more from him than Marquese Wilson, Bellamy and I'm comfortable with him as our #2/3 option with a day 2 draft pick thrown in the mix. Braverman absolutely fits into that list of WRs who had promise and did nothing. Very disappointing for a guy who works "hard" to not be able to get on the field much last year. I have no problem bringing in late Rd pick to help fill the slot WR/KR/PR role. Switzer should be on that list.

I also really want to sign Kyle Juszczyk. He's a FB who can do it all well from run blocking, running the ball, pass protection, and he can catch coming out of the backfield. He's a perfect addition to Jordan Howard and he'll help offset the inexperience at WR if Jeffrey is gone.

I'd trade Alshon for a 3rd Rd pick. I don't think we'd get any more than that anyway. Alshon's availability the last few years has been bad, and even in games he's played he's often less than full speed. He remains the only player I've ever heard of getting injured in a walk-through practice. I suspect he'll come down in his salary expectations and will end up being a Bear for a few more seasons.

Cam Meredith has played well enough through 3 QBs for us to know he's a reliable WR. In fact at times he's was clearly our #1 option for other teams to stop and he still produced. We've seen far more from him than Marquese Wilson, Bellamy and I'm comfortable with him as our #2/3 option with a day 2 draft pick thrown in the mix. Braverman absolutely fits into that list of WRs who had promise and did nothing. Very disappointing for a guy who works "hard" to not be able to get on the field much last year. I have no problem bringing in late Rd pick to help fill the slot WR/KR/PR role. Switzer should be on that list.

I also really want to sign Kyle Juszczyk. He's a FB who can do it all well from run blocking, running the ball, pass protection, and he can catch coming out of the backfield. He's a perfect addition to Jordan Howard and he'll help offset the inexperience at WR if Jeffrey is gone.

Another option is us drafting a TE high, one that could contribute day 1.

If he signs a deal with us for 10-11 a year we need to go for it. He is a true #1 and we need to keep him.

If people are offering him 14 mil a year, probably they wont do it.

So if we then have White???, we would have to just expect him to be the #1 and run with it.

Also sign Terrel Pryor and a late draft pick.

SO: with Alston Jeffery

Kevin White

Cam Meredith

Rookie

Braverman

without White

Meredith

Pryor

Braverman

Rookie

Plus we draft a TE in one of our first 3 picks.