Gentry Waived?! >> now on Practice Squad

ChileBear

I don't understand it. Bellamy and Thompson are never going to go away. No sense in having two special teams guys taking up roster spots as WR's when you just lost your #1 receiver a week ago and are sorely lacking talent at that position. Gentry has shown potential as a pass catcher all throughout training camp, and even flashed a few times in pre-season.

There will be other comparable or better WRs than Gentry available in waivers. I'd rather have Kasen Williams, for instance.

Why? Kasen Williams is a scrub. He hasn't done anything in two years as a pro, and wasn't even that impressive in college.

Let's say you're dying of a disease and you need $1,000 for the doctor to heal you.

Let's say you have 10 days to live.

Let's say you have a job that pays $1 a day.

Would you keep it?

What if you had found a new job that pays $2 an hour?

The point I'm making is that Gentry may have been good among this group, and I certainly enjoyed rooting for him, but he's not enough, and making small incremental moves isn't going to get us anywhere.

Instead, we have an ideal we're looking for. a WR with certain traits, and until we get those, it doesnt matter which wrong ones we keep I think.

ANd I do think Gentry will clear waivers and we'll get him anyway, but if we don't this isn't going to really affect our chances at a Super Bowl in 3 years.

I think other WRs will get released and we will pick someone up who has a better upside than Gentry. And the new guy probably wont stick either.

We'll be drafting a WR within the first three rounds next year.

Let's say you're dying of a disease and you need $1,000 for the doctor to heal you.

Would you keep it?

The point I'm making is that Gentry may have been good among this group, and I certainly enjoyed rooting for him, but he's not enough, and making small incremental moves isn't going to get us anywhere.

Instead, we have an ideal we're looking for. a WR with certain traits, and until we get those, it doesnt matter which wrong ones we keep I think.

ANd I do think Gentry will clear waivers and we'll get him anyway, but if we don't this isn't going to really affect our chances at a Super Bowl in 3 years.

I think other WRs will get released and we will pick someone up who has a better upside than Gentry. And the new guy probably wont stick either.

Agreed and Gentry went undrafted and shined on what many on this board has described as the worst in the league in essence is calling him the tallest midget.

Would you keep it?

I don't know if that is the best analogy. The Bears are trying to improve and you do that on every spot on the roster, to include the PS. With how injuries are nowadays, you need your subs to step in and play near starter level, and when they go down the next guy fills in with minimal drop off. For Gentry, he was signed to the PS, so we are good. If someone gets hurt, or underproduces, he will get a chance.

Also, he was a UDFA, so even if he might not help us this year (and I don't know if we want him to), but there seemed to be enough there where he could improve and become at least a solid #2. Meredith came up the same way. White, a top 10 pick has done less in 3 preseasons and 2 regular seasons.

I don't know if that is the best analogy. The Bears are trying to improve and you do that on every spot on the roster, to include the PS. With how injuries are nowadays, you need your subs to step in and play near starter level, and when they go down the next guy fills in with minimal drop off. For Gentry, he was signed to the PS, so we are good. If someone gets hurt, or underproduces, he will get a chance.

Also, he was a UDFA, so even if he might not help us this year (and I don't know if we want him to), but there seemed to be enough there where he could improve and become at least a solid #2. Meredith came up the same way. White, a top 10 pick has done less in 3 preseasons and 2 regular seasons.

100% agree. If you can improve incrementally, you do so at every possible spot.

Not if you can get even better i.e. Tre McBride etc

the question isnt Gentry or Cruz, it's Gentry or door number three.

Also we were correct and hes on the practice squad now. THe GM keeps making great moves, and we keep criticizing him and he keeps being right.

Not if you can get even better i.e. Tre McBride etc

the question isnt Gentry or Cruz, it's Gentry or door number three.

Also we were correct and hes on the practice squad now. THe GM keeps making great moves, and we keep criticizing him and he keeps being right.

Tre McBride compared to Gentry already has two years of learning how to run routes in the NFL. He should be much more prepared to contribute early this season even if he is new to the offense. Pace has film from all 4 preseason games to compare the two.

Tre McBride compared to Gentry already has two years of learning how to run routes in the NFL. He should be much more prepared to contribute early this season even if he is new to the offense. Pace has film from all 4 preseason games to compare the two.

Agree

The "has more years in the NFL and should be more ready to contribute"-line is not always equal. You can give Tre McBride 20 years in the NFL, and he's still not going to be as ready to contribute as most 1st round WRs are in their first year.

Also, McBride was on Tennessee's practice squad for two years. They were led by a TE in receiving yards in 2015, and their WR corp was atrocious last year. If McBride was worth a damn, he'd have gotten some playing time at least last year.