Packers extend Davante Adams

adam

I looked at Rodgers and I don't think he's got any cap hit. Some Claus in his contract that allows an out. However it'll never happen

huh. That's interesting. theres no guaranteed money for Rogers being amortized against the cap? Or is that just how it works out this year? Maybe this is where in the contract the yearly salary equals the cap hit?

Obviously I was joking about them releasing him, youre right that will never happen.

But IF there's no hit for Rogers, and the rule needs enforcing, rather than losing a draft pick, maybe they WOULD cut him, and he'd immediately re-sign.

So interesting. But yes, there is no way they will actually cut him and lose him. Thats impossible. If they did, itd be part of a BS legal tap dance, and given what you said about the cap situation. hmmm.

huh. That's interesting. theres no guaranteed money for Rogers being amortized against the cap? Or is that just how it works out this year? Maybe this is where in the contract the yearly salary equals the cap hit?

Obviously I was joking about them releasing him, youre right that will never happen.

But IF there's no hit for Rogers, and the rule needs enforcing, rather than losing a draft pick, maybe they WOULD cut him, and he'd immediately re-sign.

So interesting. But yes, there is no way they will actually cut him and lose him. Thats impossible. If they did, itd be part of a BS legal tap dance, and given what you said about the cap situation. hmmm.

I'd love to see the packers give him an extension now though. He's got 2 yrs left but no gtd money left. It's just his base and then am additional $1.1M per yr available through roster and workout bonuses. If they extend him his contract is going to be very costly towards the back end and considering he's already 34 it could look very badly given his injury history and the fact his oline couldn't block shit

For 2018, that's $60mil tied up in Rodgers, Adams, Cobb, and Nelson alone. There is talk about cutting Nelson or Cobb, which would put them back in their same cap situation but to me it just seems like a lot of money.

On Adams, he had two concussions this year and only seems a hit away from missing a lot of time.

Green Bay should be held accountable for their mistake though. The NFL should penalize a 1st RD pick from them. That may be more damning to them than releasing Rodgers, who would probably re-sign with them if he was forced to be released. They are aging and need more young talent, so taking that pick would be a big blow.

Green Bay should be held accountable for their mistake though. The NFL should penalize a 1st RD pick from them. That may be more damning to them than releasing Rodgers, who would probably re-sign with them if he was forced to be released. They are aging and need more young talent, so taking that pick would be a big blow.

I agree, I don't know what the penalty is, but they clearing violated the rule.

I agree, I don't know what the penalty is, but they clearing violated the rule.

Technically speaking the rule states that the player would need to be released once he is healthy. But considering Rodgers is one if the golden boys of the NFL it won't happen. I'm betting the rework the rule and gb gets penalized some draft pick. But it's tough because it GBs defense the NFL has to approve all IR related transactions. So in this case the NFL agreed with putting him on there and nothing would have come from it until several teams started complaining

Technically speaking the rule states that the player would need to be released once he is healthy. But considering Rodgers is one if the golden boys of the NFL it won't happen. I'm betting the rework the rule and gb gets penalized some draft pick. But it's tough because it GBs defense the NFL has to approve all IR related transactions. So in this case the NFL agreed with putting him on there and nothing would have come from it until several teams started complaining

All they will do is take a draft pick away, they will never force GB to release their star.

In other related GB news, it looks like they want to lock Rodgers up longer, and some are expecting a cap hit in excess of $30mil. I am sure he will get that, at least for 2-3 years, but he is an injury risk at his age. I think we are going to see GB fading into the sunset. This was the first year of their decline.