Fangio staying: how about Donatell?

Alaskan Grizzly

Early reports are GB is making a play to get him...God please no!!

Those reports have been circulating since before they fired there DC. I hope he returns but for arguments sake let's say he leaves what did everyone think of someone like gus Bradley. He's had success as s DC in the past and does use the 3-4

Those reports have been circulating since before they fired there DC. I hope he returns but for arguments sake let's say he leaves what did everyone think of someone like gus Bradley. He's had success as s DC in the past and does use the 3-4

Yeah I know there has been talk from GB but now the pressure is on. One of the larger concerns besides managing to keep Fangio is keeping the 3-4 scheme. Although personally not a fan it’s what our D is built for. I saw some discussion here about going back to a 4-3 which wouldn’t be a good idea; IMHO.

As far as potential replacements; not sure what to think about Bradley although it appears Seattle wants him back. If Vic were to go to GB why not swap and get Capers? He’s had some pretty decent success with GB and knows the 3-4.

Yeah I know there has been talk from GB but now the pressure is on. One of the larger concerns besides managing to keep Fangio is keeping the 3-4 scheme. Although personally not a fan it’s what our D is built for. I saw some discussion here about going back to a 4-3 which wouldn’t be a good idea; IMHO.

As far as potential replacements; not sure what to think about Bradley although it appears Seattle wants him back. If Vic were to go to GB why not swap and get Capers? He’s had some pretty decent success with GB and knows the 3-4.

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of the 3-4 but then again any scheme can succeed. With that said 3 yrs ago we made the switch to 3-4 and basically had to redo the entire defensive roster and we are just now starting to see that pay off. We can't switch schemes again because I'd be afraid of starting completely all over again with delays our competitive window

I like Fangio but if he interviews for the Packers I don’t care if there franchise is in a better place he is showing zero loyalty to the Bears and the players he has worked with.

If he interviews with the Packers I ask Ed Donatell to be our defensive coordinator so preventing Fangio from poaching him.

Ah yes...Donatell...good call. That would be a fine replacement.

During press conference, Nagy said that him and Fangio talked and they need to reach a decision shortly. Reports are that Gus Bradley might be in play (which would be a shift back to 4-3...albeit his D runs a lot of 3-4 undertone's) and then Pettine was supposedly Nagy's DC that he planned on (prior to him taking the Bears job where Fangio was there). Pettine is interviewing with Packers today. I would bet that one of those 3 guys is our DC.

Just saw on Twitter I think it was Brad Biggs say that the Packers are signing Mike Pettine to be there DC which would eliminate 1 more vacancy.

It really seems that this will come down to the Bears or San Fran (or another west coast team). Key being do Fangio / Nagy see eye-to-eye and if so, I presume Fangio is here. If not, then I presume he's headed west. Fact that he didn't end up going to Green Bay tells me that at a minimum, he wasn't interested in that job and probably at least is somewhat interested in staying with Bears (and Nagy and company just wanted to keep things close to the vest). Could be wrong though.

It really seems that this will come down to the Bears or San Fran (or another west coast team). Key being do Fangio / Nagy see eye-to-eye and if so, I presume Fangio is here. If not, then I presume he's headed west. Fact that he didn't end up going to Green Bay tells me that at a minimum, he wasn't interested in that job and probably at least is somewhat interested in staying with Bears (and Nagy and company just wanted to keep things close to the vest). Could be wrong though.

I thought I heard San Fran already has a DC

What about New England if Patricia leaves? Might be a dream job of his. Maybe be is holding out for those openings which will hurt his chances of staying in Chicago

I would think Fangio would want to have something locked down somewhere soon. So with that in mind let's cheer for NE to win this weekend. Fangio can't go anywhere if Patricia isn't allowed anywhere till after they are done with playoffs

I would think Fangio would want to have something locked down somewhere soon. So with that in mind let's cheer for NE to win this weekend. Fangio can't go anywhere if Patricia isn't allowed anywhere till after they are done with playoffs

I would think Mike Flores would get first shot, but they are a 3-4 and Fangio is one of the best.

What about New England if Patricia leaves? Might be a dream job of his. Maybe be is holding out for those openings which will hurt his chances of staying in Chicago

I don't think Fangio wants to a place with an overlord like Beli. He is going to want to work with an offensive minded coach where he can run the defense. It seems like he likes the west coast and might prefer it but also likes Chicago (but you never know what he thinks about it). Niners do have a DC but they wanted him last year and could make the move anyway (to upgrade and maybe then shift their DC to another role).

Rappaport and someone at Bearreport are reporting that while work is still to be done, belief is Fangio will be DC. Hopefully it gets finalized by the time I'm up tomorrow. Will feel much better having that continuity (and an awesome DC locked back down). Reports are that Nagy put on a full court press for Fangio and that is why we are seeing teams interested in Fangio's services going another direction.

Rappaport and someone at Bearreport are reporting that while work is still to be done, belief is Fangio will be DC. Hopefully it gets finalized by the time I'm up tomorrow. Will feel much better having that continuity (and an awesome DC locked back down). Reports are that Nagy put on a full court press for Fangio and that is why we are seeing teams interested in Fangio's services going another direction.

Brad Biggs is also reporting the same thing that this could be wrapped up tomorrow. This would be a huge hire for such a young guy. Wonder if donatel would want to return then as well to continue the good work he's done

Brad Biggs is also reporting the same thing that this could be wrapped up tomorrow. This would be a huge hire for such a young guy. Wonder if donatel would want to return then as well to continue the good work he's done

That’s awesome to here and I hope it happens. I keep thinking about how we tried to retain Marinelli and he quickly left for Dallas. But it seems like Pace has his shit together and his ducks lined up in a row. So here’s my 2 cents:

1. I could be way wrong, but I feel like it’s a done deal. We wanted to make this day about Nagy. Tomorrow will be about Fangio. Pace is moving quickly and with determination. As aforementioned, I could be way wrong.

2. It was reported Green Bay may have balked on Fangio’s asking price of 2 million. Good lord, why are teams afraid to pay coaches? These teams are worth a billion minimum. Fangio has exceeded expectations. It’s like an extra $500,000 is a dealbreaker for teams. I don’t get it.

3. I think the Packers hired the Browns ex-coach cause they know Fangio is returning to Chicago. Again, I could be wrong.

That’s awesome to here and I hope it happens. I keep thinking about how we tried to retain Marinelli and he quickly left for Dallas. But it seems like Pace has his shit together and his ducks lined up in a row. So here’s my 2 cents:

1. I could be way wrong, but I feel like it’s a done deal. We wanted to make this day about Nagy. Tomorrow will be about Fangio. Pace is moving quickly and with determination. As aforementioned, I could be way wrong.

2. It was reported Green Bay may have balked on Fangio’s asking price of 2 million. Good lord, why are teams afraid to pay coaches? These teams are worth a billion minimum. Fangio has exceeded expectations. It’s like an extra $500,000 is a dealbreaker for teams. I don’t get it.

3. I think the Packers hired the Browns ex-coach cause they know Fangio is returning to Chicago. Again, I could be wrong.

All of what you speculate makes sense. Green Bay is dumb to pass on this opportunity but I’m glad they will (hopefully).

Your absolutely right. What's $2M per yr for a great and long time proven DC like Fangio. That's just a drop in the bucket.

I know I heard Fangio is the 2nd highest pd coordinator. Does anyone know what that figure is and who is pd higher than him

Trying to get the timeline down:

Jet lands, shortly afterward Fangio meets with, or at least talks with, Nagy and Ryan Pace. Within hours of those conversations the Packers hired Pettine and then shortly afterward Gus Bradley agreed to a new contract with the Chargers.

The timing of all this is supposed to be coincidental? I think not.

According to ESPN the Packers fired Capers because he hasn't had a top 10 Defense in years so you have to think the idea of plucking Fangio, who has a top 10 D in Chicago with ZERO Pro Bowl players, was very appealing. All things being equal among the top DCs available if you take Fangio away from Chicago you at least force them to adapt to a new system which takes time but also affects personnel.

------------------------------------

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2201773...ive-coordinator

McCarthy fired Capers after the Packers finished 7-9 and ranked 22nd in total defense.

That's the fourth time it has finished in the bottom third of the NFL in the past seven years, including a dead-last ranking in 2011. Capers had not finished with a top-10 defense since the Packers' Super Bowl season of 2010, when it ranked fifth. The Packers have finished outside the top 15 in the defensive rankings six of the past seven years.

------------------------------------

Now we have a blitz happy DC in Green Bay. If our HC is what we think he is, and with Trubisky having already seen every blitz known to man, then we're going to take advantage of those blitzes.

For Gus Bradley he had to know he was on the radar for Chicago's new coach and at a minimum would use that as leverage to get a better deal from the Chargers. Pettine was going to accept whatever was offered to him first.

I have to believe Vic decided to stay here and the rest of this time was just working out contract details. He'll sign a new deal with Chicago today. John Fox's ego will take a big hit immediately afterward.

I do like this. Of course I like Fangio and the work he's done but I feel it's akin to Pace bringing in Fox when he started. A young GM had an experienced head coach to help him turn things around. I still think that was a good decision given the other coaching candidates that were available at that time. Now with a foundation in place and experience in his role Pace gets his man for the future. For Nagy, he'll be able to learn a new role while allowing Fangio to take full ownership of the defense. It will be a tremendous help for him in his first year as HC and will allow him to devote his energy into fixing what is most in need of repair: The offense.

Your absolutely right. What's $2M per yr for a great and long time proven DC like Fangio. That's just a drop in the bucket.

I know I heard Fangio is the 2nd highest pd coordinator. Does anyone know what that figure is and who is pd higher than him

As per the Score, Wade Phillips is making 3 million per with the Rams.

There was twitter report out there that the Bears were looking to meet with the Cardinals DC for a position on the staff. He is an awesome DC and is going to be a HC one day. Would be a dynamic hire if Fangio is going elsewhere. I’d argue he is a better DC, however, he’s also far more likely to leave to be a HC (vs. Fangio who I think if you do sign him stays for his tenure).

There was twitter report out there that the Bears were looking to meet with the Cardinals DC for a position on the staff. He is an awesome DC and is going to be a HC one day. Would be a dynamic hire if Fangio is going elsewhere. I’d argue he is a better DC, however, he’s also far more likely to leave to be a HC (vs. Fangio who I think if you do sign him stays for his tenure).

Yeah, here’s a story about that very thing. https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Bol...staff-113531733

I’m starting to believe Fangio isn’t coming back. Taking too long for him to decide. I saw something before where when Fox was hired, Fangio came in quickly afterward. Was similar when Harbaugh had him as DC. This doesn’t smell right.