Goldman Possible Contract Extension

AZ54

This was talked about in the off-season and then it got shelved when we went after big targets in FA.  I"m glad to hear it's back on the table and hopefully something gets done soon.   When this is done it'd be nice to see the Bears extend Amos as well. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bears/bears-working-re-sign-goldman-factor-linchpin-their-top-10-defense

Aren’t we still like 20 million under the cap?  It’d be ideal if we used some of that to secure one of the lynch-pins of our defense.  

I’m not nearly as worried about extending Amos.  He wasn’t even a starter at the beginning of last season and took the job when Quinten Demps was injured.  Pro Football Focus ranked him as a top safety in the NFL—even though he only had one interception and one fumble recovery.  

10 hours ago, bradjock said:

Aren’t we still like 20 million under the cap?  It’d be ideal if we used some of that to secure one of the lynch-pins of our defense.  

I’m not nearly as worried about extending Amos.  He wasn’t even a starter at the beginning of last season and took the job when Quinten Demps was injured.  Pro Football Focus ranked him as a top safety in the NFL—even though he only had one interception and one fumble recovery.  

Amos IMO is not what you'd call a core player but he's a good player and while we are searching for our core players (possibly Eddie Jackson down the road) we should keep good players on the roster.  I don't want to be the winner in cap space every year.  

7 hours ago, AZ54 said:

Amos IMO is not what you'd call a core player but he's a good player and while we are searching for our core players (possibly Eddie Jackson down the road) we should keep good players on the roster.  I don't want to be the winner in cap space every year.  

Curious why you don’t think Amos could or will be a ‘core player’?  Seems rather early to say that.  

Granted his 2016 was not so great but he showed vast improvement despite not starting last year.  And in Fangios defensive scheme it is said he prefers ‘in the box’ capable SS which I think Amos has shown he is willing to do.  

Also agree that we shouldn’t be leading the way in salary cap space but not sure you can buy a core player from somewhere else.  

Amos is not a play maker, a good S but the ones that get the big money get turnovers, one interception in 3 years is not quite there. No reason to extend him early. Let the year play out and if he improves, give him a contract. I doubt you have to have a FA battle with a bunch of other teams wanting him.

21 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Curious why you don’t think Amos could or will be a ‘core player’?  Seems rather early to say that.  

Granted his 2016 was not so great but he showed vast improvement despite not starting last year.  And in Fangios defensive scheme it is said he prefers ‘in the box’ capable SS which I think Amos has shown he is willing to do.  

Also agree that we shouldn’t be leading the way in salary cap space but not sure you can buy a core player from somewhere else.  

I don't think I said he couldn't become a core player on the team.  I don't believe he is that right now but I think he's a good player.  I'm not one to think we need Pro Bowl players at every position to win the Superbowl and iMO it's a good idea to re-sign good players that fit your scheme, and are who fit the character you want among teammates in the locker room.  Amos is ok in coverage but he's not great.  Nor do I think he ever will be very good in coverage.   He's just not that type of quick-twitch change-of-direction athlete.  As long as he is sound in his assignments and technique he can be in position to prevent big plays, and maybe get the occasional pass-defensed, which is mainly what he does in coverage.  On the other hand he's very physical and good at his reads in the box.  All of which makes him a good player to keep around iMO and he won't be that expensive.  

There's been very little talk here about training camp but this year Deon Bush is starting to play well.  Like everyone else, Amos can see that too so he's starting to lose a bit of leverage.   Of course that could also be changing Pace's thoughts on an extension which was reportedly floated around earlier in the offseason.   The prevailing thoughts in years past was that we had to go to FA to replace a starter but we might finally be seeing a change in that pattern.   I still think Pace prefers to get the bigger deal for Goldman out of the way first before he moves forward on discussions with Amos.  That could change quickly if Amos comes to the table with a proposal Pace likes.