Smith And Bears Agree To Terms

lemonej

We'll never know but the fact is shortly after Jalen Ramsey and Dante Fowler were suspended for non-football stuff the Roquan Smith deal was complete. Unless you count Fowler fighting his defensive teammate over and over again as a football act.  I was going to post something yesterday that, if anything, that incident should just make Pace further dig in his heels.  Then I logged in and saw the rumor that Roquan had agreed to terms. 

I'm sure there are multiple facets to this as there always are in negotiations.  For one, with just 3 weeks left in the preseason it is now or never if Roquan wants to be a starter.  I'll just say that I don't believe Fowler and Ramsey helped Roquan in his contract dispute over non-football behavior not affecting his salary guarantee.  When you look toward next year's negotiations all GMs are going to keep that in mind as well when CAA comes calling.    Based on history we know a few more NFL players will surely provide more fodder during the season and next offseason.  

Thankful it's over and he's signed and in practice.  He's missed valuable reps and conditioning that he can't get back.  Just a couple less days of holdout than Bosa's  If I recall correctly didn't Bosa sustain an injury trying to push too hard getting up to speed for the start of the season.  So I hope he can get up to speed for the start of the season and stay healthy doing so.  

Out of curiosity any insight on what the compromises were either by CAA, the Bears, or both?   I just hope this isn't a pattern for Smith.  He verbally committed to UCLA, before actually committing to Georgia, and this holdout.  It does give concern whether every contract negotiation with might be high drama.  

All in all though glad it's behind us and he's signed for 4 years and I hope he's able to make it up to the team and the fan base on the field.  He has some respect to earn now.

1 hour ago, Mongo3451 said:

I see nothing in there about off the field or non-football related guarantees.  Roquan has the protections he sought against football related suspensions but that was reportedly agreed to weeks ago.  I don't see where the bar moved much, if at all, over the last three weeks.  

14 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

I see nothing in there about off the field or non-football related guarantees.  Roquan has the protections he sought against football related suspensions but that was reportedly agreed to weeks ago.  I don't see where the bar moved much, if at all, over the last three weeks.  

The only thing I saw was separation by the degree/length of suspension.  So, he would have to commit a bad infraction to risk losing money.

So was missing your entire rookie training camp worth the offset language?

For the team, does not recouping any guarantees until he is suspended 3 games or more worth him missing his entire rookie training camp and multiple preseason games? Seems like the likelihood that he will be suspended 3 games or more is very unlikely, so for the Bears, that condition, more than likely will never be met. 

Either way I am glad he is signed and we can move on from this awkward situation, hopefully it won't impact his conditioning and performance on the field, or the locker room chemistry.

7 hours ago, adam said:

So was missing your entire rookie training camp worth the offset language?

For the team, does not recouping any guarantees until he is suspended 3 games or more worth him missing his entire rookie training camp and multiple preseason games? Seems like the likelihood that he will be suspended 3 games or more is very unlikely, so for the Bears, that condition, more than likely will never be met. 

Either way I am glad he is signed and we can move on from this awkward situation, hopefully it won't impact his conditioning and performance on the field, or the locker room chemistry.

No, and that's why Pace agreed to that stuff early on in the process.