Another kicker added

BearFan2000

I assume there is an out if he doesn't make the team. It'd be really early in the process to nail someone down for three years. So it's probably a three year deal, but the guaranteed money is probably not very much.

So basically, Im guessing we have him locked in for 3 years if we choose him. But if we cut him, Im guessing there won't be much of a cap hit.

Yeah it's been quiet. Probably because we dont pick until the 3rd round.

Im VERY happy with our first and second this year: more than half of Khalil Mack and Anthony Miller. Great picks. Already NFL proven. Helped us learn to be a winning team last year too., and develop Trubisky, and chemistry with the team. Great value for those picks.

I’m sure it’s a low risk deal that we can get out of easily. Perhaps even contingent on him winning the job. If he does get the job we have him for 3 years.  It does give me the sense that he might be the favorite at this point.  I’m glad we are adding more kickers to the list.  I expected extra us to add at least one more either a late rounder or an UDFA.  Pace knows we need to do all we can to get this right.  

It has been slow, it’s that dead period between when FA slows down till the draft. Which for us the draft starts on day 2 unless Pace makes a deal and gets us a day one pick.  Either way April 25/26 seems like an eternity away. 

4 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

Yeah it's been quiet. Probably because we dont pick until the 3rd round.

Im VERY happy with our first and second this year: more than half of Khalil Mack and Anthony Miller. Great picks. Already NFL proven. Helped us learn to be a winning team last year too., and develop Trubisky, and chemistry with the team. Great value for those picks.

That’s what’s easy to forget as it is a bummer having to wait till round 3. But Mack and Miller basically are our day one picks.  I would take those two over unknowns any day. Plus we come into the draft not looking to fix our team but add depth and complimentary players. We’re not used to this quiet of an off-season. 

4 hours ago, BearFan2000 said:

That’s what’s easy to forget as it is a bummer having to wait till round 3. But Mack and Miller basically are our day one picks.  I would take those two over unknowns any day. Plus we come into the draft not looking to fix our team but add depth and complimentary players. We’re not used to this quiet of an off-season. 

+1

10 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Well...I am just happy to see activity on the board...was getting worried. 

Funny, I was actually thinking of continuing some discussions on other topics but feared I’d hurt some feelings. 

Like why on earth did they sign an unproven kicker to 3 years?  😀

2 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Funny, I was actually thinking of continuing some discussions on other topics but feared I’d hurt some feelings. 

Like why on earth did they sign an unproven kicker to 3 years?  😀

because they can probably cut him easily if they want to - the three years protects the team not the player if there isnt significant guaranteed money.

3 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

because they can probably cut him easily if they want to - the three years protects the team not the player if there isnt significant guaranteed money.

Ah...I’ll be the first to admit I’m not all that keen on contract stuff.  But still three years for an unproven when the other two were signed to one year (?) deals makes little sense.  Either way, I’m sure it’ll work out.  

ok, so you know you can cut anyone you want any time right? The only downside is the cap hit, the signing bonus (guaranteed money) that you paid upfront is due on that years cap.

If there is no significant upfront money, then you can cut them at any time without any downside.

Now on the other hand, if this guy works out and we want to keep him, we dont have to renegotiate with him for three years, his salary is set, now before he has leverage.

So assuming there is no signing bonus or upfront money (at least until he makes the final team this eyar) then this is a no lose situation, where we are covered for three years if we want to keep him.

But it doesnt mean we have to. That's only in proportion to the upfront money. Thats the only security any player has.

23 hours ago, BearFan NYC said:

If there is no significant upfront money, then you can cut them at any time without any downside.

Now on the other hand, if this guy works out and we want to keep him, we dont have to renegotiate with him for three years, his salary is set, now before he has leverage

I appreciate the explanation . Yeah I understand (I think) if a player is paid a lot on the front that means bad things if he’s cut too early; like dead money that counts to the salary cap or something rather(?). 

I have to think that if he was signed to a low cost low risk three year deal there must have been something someone saw that the other two kickers didn’t show.  

Kinda crazy that only two years ago we were worried about 7-9 positions of need and now it’s really somewhere between 2-3 and the most unstable is the kicker.

6 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I appreciate the explanation . Yeah I understand (I think) if a player is paid a lot on the front that means bad things if he’s cut too early; like dead money that counts to the salary cap or something rather(?). 

I have to think that if he was signed to a low cost low risk three year deal there must have been something someone saw that the other two kickers didn’t show.  

Kinda crazy that only two years ago we were worried about 7-9 positions of need and now it’s really somewhere between 2-3 and the most unstable is the kicker.

yeah Pace is kicking butt. WITHOUT a kicker!

it's both. Pace is getting the guys that fit what the coaches need.

Take Jordan Howard as an example. Good player with a lot of football ahead of him, but doesnt fit the scheme.

So Pace has found the right players with the traits they need.