Leno Contract Restructured

AZ54

The Bears reportedly converted $7mil of Charles Leno's salary this year into a signing bonus.  That gives us an extra $5.3mil in cap space this year.  We will have to wait and see what Pace does with this.  The Whitehair extension has been rumored all offseason but we could have done that without this extra cap space.  

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1164179053223567364

12 hours ago, AZ54 said:

The Bears reportedly converted $7mil of Charles Leno's salary this year into a signing bonus.  That gives us an extra $5.3mil in cap space this year.  We will have to wait and see what Pace does with this.  The Whitehair extension has been rumored all offseason but we could have done that without this extra cap space.  

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1164179053223567364

I see there’s a fair share of speculation about trying to sign Jadeveon Clowney (within the Tweet you linked and other sources).  As much as that would seem awesome, it doesn’t seem realistic with all that money involved...right?

I even saw one place it was suggested the Bears could give up Long, Floyd and a draft pick for Clowney.  (The Texans are rumored to be hurting for OLmen).

I’m not sure I like it or the Bears need that. Not with the current kicker situation as it is.  

12 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I see there’s a fair share of speculation about trying to sign Jadeveon Clowney (within the Tweet you linked and other sources).  As much as that would seem awesome, it doesn’t seem realistic with all that money involved...right?

I even saw one place it was suggested the Bears could give up Long, Floyd and a draft pick for Clowney.  (The Texans are rumored to be hurting for OLmen).

I’m not sure I like it or the Bears need that. Not with the current kicker situation as it is.  

Yes, that desire to bring in Clowney makes little sense to me.  We have a young roster that is going to need two things in the near future:  First some significant contract extensions for key players and second some good n' cheap draft picks to help fill out the roster depth.  Meaning we need a few young players in next years draft to start filling in for starters.  Some of those might be on the roster (perhaps Tolliver for Prince) but others like Trevathan's replacement are not.  Spending a lot of money on Clowney and his injury history, even if it's for one year, and giving up draft picks to do it makes no sense to me.   

It is still possible the Bears and Trevathan agree on a 1yr extension, possibly 2yr.   That would only happen if Trevathan really wants to stay here which means a below market deal.  He's just young enough at 30 that he might get one more big deal for 2-3yr especially if he plays well being surrounded by all this talent.      

Kyle Long looks like Kyle Long of old.  Why would we give up a key piece protecting Trubisky when we are in a Superbowl window and there is no viable backup on the roster right now?   Bars might be his replacement next year but he does not look ready now.