State of the Bears

Stinger226

A few things I think will happen:

I think they use MT as a player like Hill in NO. Giving him a limited few touches a game.  ( I'f he doesn't start )

I think Patterson get 80 to 100 carries as a RB this year. That is one reason we didn't add a RB in free agency. 

Kmet gets more rec. than Graham.  I think teams will focus coverage on Graham ( in 2 TEs sets  giving more chances for Kmet to make plays. 

21 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

If they get creative, they could probably do Peters and Warford. Talk about a huge boost to the oline (and competition on the oline).  That would depend on getting Robinson extended.  

We sit just under $10mil in cap space right now.  I think Pace wants to wait on the Robinson deal in order to have an idea how he wants to fit in any of these late contracts.  If something works we can structure Robinson's deal to reduce cap hit.  OTOH if we don't sign anyone else we could pull in as much of the hit this year to make future years better.  This may have been his M.O. all along  and why we see the new contracts just before the season starts.  

😐
11 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

A few things I think will happen:

I think they use MT as a player like Hill in NO. Giving him a limited few touches a game.  ( I'f he doesn't start )

I think Patterson get 80 to 100 carries as a RB this year. That is one reason we didn't add a RB in free agency. 

Kmet gets more rec. than Graham.  I think teams will focus coverage on Graham ( in 2 TEs sets  giving more chances for Kmet to make plays. 

Man the MT thing would be depressing. We traded up one pick and used the #2 pick on a Taysom Hill-like player. If he doesn't win the job, I think they try to offload him before the trading deadline or even before the season starts. I don't think Nagy or the other players want to answer questions about Trubisky for another year. 

I'm not assessing his value, I'm saying to keep him involved.  Hill averages 3 plays a game.  Just more in the trick bag for Nagy. I don't think he's going anywhere this year.  He may still start but I doubt it.  As a backup, if he had to play a few games, dunb down the offense and put him in. Learning behind Foles can't be a bad thing. 

Give Mitch a coach that knows how to run an offense, any running game, someone not calling pass pass pass and an offensive line, and then I’ll believe he was a bad pick. He hasn’t had a chance to succeed and hope he wasn’t ruined. 

I think it was a combination of Nagy pushing his  complete offense on MT, lack of throwing time, ( bad OL) no running game to take pressure off, and MT losing his confidence.  If I remember didn't we led the league in dropped balls by our WR Corp? Nagy didn't play to his strengths.  Also wasn't he wearing a harness the whole year after the injury? Tight games, because our defense didn't get many TOs last yr that put more pressure on him. He is not the guy that will carry an offense on his back during poor performances. 

On 5/15/2020 at 12:23 AM, 'TD' said:

Give Mitch a coach that knows how to run an offense, any running game, someone not calling pass pass pass and an offensive line, and then I’ll believe he was a bad pick. He hasn’t had a chance to succeed and hope he wasn’t ruined. 

As someone said Mitch is built to run a different offense.  

9 hours ago, McGowan said:

If the 49ers had taken Mitch 2nd I think he'd be good. This offense is built for Mahomes, and Kyle Shanahan's is built for Mitch. Pace hired the wrong coach. 

that could well be true. Nagy gets next year to prove us wrong, or grow and prove us wrong, and I sure hope he does, but I think theres a good chance you are right.

I actually think one day MT will be a Ryan Tannahill type of QB but not with this coach.  Good coaches adapt to their players.  This year will define Nagy.  As someone stated, if he went to SF or Baltimore, he would be in a better situation to succeed. I only care that we contend for a SB, I don't care how Pace does it. 

When you see how much the 49ers cater their game plans to Garropolo's strengths it really shows what a smart coach Shanahan is.  Of course it helps tremendously to have talent around him to make that happen.  Between the Oline and solid running game, and then what Kittle can do in the open field JimmyG is in a good spot.  Even then they mostly just have him throw between the numbers because that's what he does well.   

2 hours ago, McGowan said:

I really hope they bring in another RB. They've got nothing after Montgomery. If he gets injured, they're screwed at the position. 

It would be nice and it's not out of the question before training camp begins.  

17 hours ago, McGowan said:

I really hope they bring in another RB. They've got nothing after Montgomery. If he gets injured, they're screwed at the position. 

Oh, they will. There is no way they go into the season with this group.  I would love Devonta Freeman but I could see Spencer Ware due to his familiarity with the offense (works for both the player and the team). Some other names, Isaiah Crowell, Theo Riddick, Javorius Allen, or even Carlos Hyde or Bilal Powell. I would be ok with any of those names.

Hyde is the only one that would command any significant cap dollars. All the others would be around $1M or vet minimums, so we have options.