National Media

adam

It is so weird seeing the media give Pace an A draft grade and praise his entire draft. This one feels different. Then getting Snowden as a UDFA is icing on the cake. I am still in shock but happy with how it turned out. The trade ups worried me but Pace made some great Day 3 picks to compensate. 

This is the best first round draft pick the bears have made in my lifetime (at initial reaction). My bears memories start around 1990 - for context. 

Fields may bust - but this is the player with the most pure upside of any players bears have taken since than in my opinion. What the rest of the league was thinking ignoring the 2 years plus of tape and his pure physical talent - I literally have no idea. 

No knock on Lance (who has similar upside IMO) and Wilson (elite arm talent but we will see how he does against better talent) but even than...Falcons and Panthers and Broncos with their mediocre qbs passing on this kid - they will regret it. 

Fields is going to do it - I just know it. And you might say - didn’t I supper Mitch - sure I did. He had talent and I was all over bears drafting a qb when they did in that draft. I said they had to - I would have been fine with Mitch, Deshaun or Mahomes. 

But fields is a more explosive athlete and he has been highly touted his whole life. #2 prospect coming out of high school - handles the massive pressure at osu and crushed it in those 2 years at starter. 

I agree! Between Angelo and Pace the Bears have made so many bad first round draft choices.  Brian Urlacher has been one of the best first round picks in decades prior to Fields this year but there have been several very good defensive players chosen in the first round. TheBears have been very bad at picking offensive players in the first round.  Here are the first round picks going back to 1990.

1990 6 Mark Carrier  S Southern California  
1991 22 Stan Thomas OT Texas  
1992 22 Alonzo Spellman DE Ohio State  
1993 7 Curtis Conway WR Southern California  
1994 11 John Thierry DE Alcorn State  
1995 21 Rashaan Salaam HB Colorado  
1996 13 Walt Harris DB Mississippi State  
1997 No pick (traded to Seattle for Rick Mirer) [t]
1998 5 Curtis Enis HB Penn State  
1999 12 Cade McNown QB UCLA  
2000 9 Brian Urlacher ^ LB/S New Mexico  
2001 8 David Terrell WR Michigan  
2002 29 Marc Colombo OT Boston College  
2003 14 Michael Haynes DE Penn State [v]
22 Rex Grossman QB Florida [v]
2004 14 Tommie Harris  DT Oklahoma  
2005 4 Cedric Benson HB Texas  
2006 No pick (traded to Buffalo for later picks) [w]
2007 31 Greg Olsen TE Miami  
2008 14 Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt  
2009 No pick (traded to Denver for Jay Cutler) [x]
2011 29 Gabe Carimi OT Wisconsin  
2012 19 Shea McClellin DE Boise State  
2013 20 Kyle Long  OT Oregon  
2014 14 Kyle Fuller  CB Virginia Tech  
2015 7 Kevin White WR West Virginia  
2016 9 Leonard Floyd LB Georgia  
2017 2 Mitchell Trubisky  QB North Carolina  
2018 8 Roquan Smith LB Georgia  
2019 No pick (traded to Oakland for Khalil Mack)  
2021 11 Justin Fields QB Ohio State  

Just look as some of these guys picked in round 1 who were total busts!

Cade McNown 

David Terrell

Kevin White 

Share McClellin

and certainly don’t forget about the Rick Mirer trade with Seattle back in 1997!

51 minutes ago, ParkerBear7 said:

I would have been happier with a WR like Seth Williams over the VT running back. Did not feel RB was a need. 

I think he's here for the kick returner spot. As well as Newsome is a punt returner. This backups have to fill special teams needs. 

1 hour ago, ParkerBear7 said:

I would have been happier with a WR like Seth Williams over the VT running back. Did not feel RB was a need. 

Any move that ensures I never have to see Ryan Nall carry the ball in a regular season game is a plus for me. 

Another thing to remember, the 49ers traded 3x first round picks and a 3rd for Lance. The Bears got Fields for 2x first rounders, a 4th and a 5th. The 49ers won't have another first rounder until 2024.