Rusty Jones protege is the New Strength Coach

BearFan PHX

The Bears hired Jim Arthur as Strength and Conditioning coach today.

Arthur was a protege and assistant of Rusty Jones, who was our S&C coach from 2005 - 2013 during the Lovie Smith era. Rusty is widely respected around the league and works in Indianapolis now.

It's pretty clear that we are going back to the Tony Dungy / Lovie Smith tree for a 4-3 cover 2 type defense, and supporting staff philosophies, all the way down to S&C. And this is a very good sign. At least there is some kind of cultural cohesion. Everyone working toward the same vision of defense.

In 2014, when we changed philosophy on S&C, I posted this article to this board about losing Rusty. Injuries were up, and since then we haven't been able to move anyone in the running game year after year, regardless of scheme or players. This S&C hire could be very significant indeed.

48 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

The Bears hired Jim Arthur as Strength and Conditioning coach today.

Arthur was a protege and assistant of Rusty Jones, who was our S&C coach from 2005 - 2013 during the Lovie Smith era. Rusty is widely respected around the league and works in Indianapolis now.

It's pretty clear that we are going back to the Tony Dungy / Lovie Smith tree for a 4-3 cover 2 type defense, and supporting staff philosophies, all the way down to S&C. And this is a very good sign. At least there is some kind of cultural cohesion. Everyone working toward the same vision of defense.

In 2014, when we changed philosophy on S&C, I posted this article to this board about losing Rusty. Injuries were up, and since then we haven't been able to move anyone in the running game year after year, regardless of scheme or players. This S&C hire could be very significant indeed.

Very cool, I didn't know that.

I like that they hired Salazar to head the Sports Performance department.

Below is part of the article by Larry Mayer

Bears general manager Ryan Poles on Tuesday announced the hiring of Brent Salazar as the team's Clyde Emrich Director of High Performance.

Salazar will oversee the team's strength and conditioning and sport science departments and work with the athletic training staff with the goal of maximizing player health, safety and performance.  The position is named after Clyde Emrich, a pioneering strength coach who passed away last November after working for the Bears for 50 years.

Salazar arrives in Chicago with more than 10 years of strength and conditioning experience in the NFL with the Broncos, Chiefs and Vikings. He most recently spent the past two years at Kitman Labs as a performance strategist and was the director of performance at the United States Tennis Association from 2017-20. His duties at the USTA included oversight of the Player Development's Strength and Conditioning team and he was responsible for optimizing the support that the USTA provides to American players.

"We are excited to add this key hire to our football operations staff, a newly created position to oversee, align and continue to develop our strength and conditioning and sports science to optimize player performance," Poles said. "Players maximizing their potential in preparation, on the field, in recovery and rehabilitation is critical to their overall athletic performance and ultimately team success. To honor the late Clyde Emrich, a pioneer in this space, is very fitting for the director of high performance."

12 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

I'm interested to hear what Olin Kruetz thinks about this hire. He stated before that is more important hire than oline coach. 

I do think this is a very important position. Whether it falls to Jim Arthur, or Brent Salazar, or both, their success will have a lot to do with the team's success.