Luke Getsy Press Conference

AZ54

I think this is worth watching.  A couple highlights: 

1) He is the anti-Nagy:  "This is our offense it's not my offense".  He is incorporating things from everyone on the coaching staff. 

2) On EqStBrown:  He matured a lot last year, and he's glad we were able to sign him and expects him to role model what they want on offense and that he'll contribute quite a bit this year.   

Lots of questions on Velus and of course Fields.   

If you look at the measurables with ST Brown , he is our big X that we all wanted in the draft. I would say at this point in his career , he has shown who he is, but if he ascends to be a consistent target, that's huge for this team. 6' 5"  214 with 4.48 speed. Its odd with Rodgers you would think all the WRs would show out better, but Rodgers seems to have his favorites and some get left out. The year Graham came here, I thought it was a wasted FA because he didnt produce with Rodgers. Here in 2020  he did 50-456-8 , never expected that. If we actually got those kind of numbers from our 4th WR ( St Brown) that would be awesome. 

last year in GB under this OC Adams got the most targets 169 , the RB position (Dillion and  Jones) were targeted 103 times, Lazard and MVS were targeted 114 times. TEs were targeted 89 times.  Mooney had 140 last year with 81 catches. I think he gets around 150 targets with  a better catch percentage because of play calling and Fields ascending . So you take a large amount of catches going to the RB position and TE group. So the other WRs on the team will have limited targets with Pringle leading the way with 60 to 90 targets. Velus Jones will contribute by runs and catches and I expect him to get 60 targets . Those targets will be robbing the RB group so all in not in the WR category. 

Getsy really is the anti-Nagy which bodes well for the team. Nagy literally rode the coattails of Reid, and never should've ascended higher than QB Coach. Everyone has a cap on what they can do/handle and clearly Nagy is no more than an ok QB Coach. Getsy is already more qualified than Nagy as an OC. 

The 5th and 6th passing options are not going to be that big of a deal, so once you get past Mooney, Kmet, Pringle, and Monty, the next guys, even Jones won't have more than 50 targets. St. Brown will be lucky to get 30, same for Horsted, O'Shaughnessy, Herbert, etc.

52 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I think we could see Herbert or Ebner get a good chunk of targets in the passing game. Ebner intrigues me quite a bit in a Cohen type roll. He looks like such a threat in the passing game. 

Ebner is very intriguing. He is definitely a sleeper this year. If he gets the ball in the open field, he can score on every play. Ebner and Jones is going to be fun options.

8 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If you look at the measurables with ST Brown , he is our big X that we all wanted in the draft. I would say at this point in his career , he has shown who he is, but if he ascends to be a consistent target, that's huge for this team. 6' 5"  214 with 4.48 speed. Its odd with Rodgers you would think all the WRs would show out better, but Rodgers seems to have his favorites and some get left out. The year Graham came here, I thought it was a wasted FA because he didnt produce with Rodgers. Here in 2020  he did 50-456-8 , never expected that. If we actually got those kind of numbers from our 4th WR ( St Brown) that would be awesome. 

last year in GB under this OC Adams got the most targets 169 , the RB position (Dillion and  Jones) were targeted 103 times, Lazard and MVS were targeted 114 times. TEs were targeted 89 times.  Mooney had 140 last year with 81 catches. I think he gets around 150 targets with  a better catch percentage because of play calling and Fields ascending . So you take a large amount of catches going to the RB position and TE group. So the other WRs on the team will have limited targets with Pringle leading the way with 60 to 90 targets. Velus Jones will contribute by runs and catches and I expect him to get 60 targets . Those targets will be robbing the RB group so all in not in the WR category. 

I hope Mooney's targets drop... by a lot... and we're getting better distribution across the field.  I also hope his receptions stay the same meaning we're finding him when he's open and not forcing throws at him just because there are no other good options.   

4 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I hope Mooney's targets drop... by a lot... and we're getting better distribution across the field.  I also hope his receptions stay the same meaning we're finding him when he's open and not forcing throws at him just because there are no other good options.   

Yeah, if we can get Mooney, Kmet and Monty to 65+% reception per target, that would be great.

I thought this was interesting, using position groups for target share for the Bears in 2021:\

WR: 58.4% (17th)

TE: 24.2% (8th)

RB: 17.4% (25th)

All of these were within 0.7% of KCs distribution. Nagy copied Reid with his crayons. 

Assuming we will be more like GB now, they had the 8th highest to WR (64%), 20th to RB (18.6%) and 26th to TE (18.4%).  That would mean the Bears will target their WRs and RBs more and their TEs less next year. 

3 hours ago, adam said:

I thought this was interesting, using position groups for target share for the Bears in 2021:\

WR: 58.4% (17th)

TE: 24.2% (8th)

RB: 17.4% (25th)

All of these were within 0.7% of KCs distribution. Nagy copied Reid with his crayons. 

Assuming we will be more like GB now, they had the 8th highest to WR (64%), 20th to RB (18.6%) and 26th to TE (18.4%).  That would mean the Bears will target their WRs and RBs more and their TEs less next year. 

I have a feeling they will continue feeding Kmet so I do not see the drop at TE being as drastic. 

Look at GB 2 years ago when Tonyan was healthy and him and Aaron Jones took more receptions because Adam's was hurt.  Or even the last 3 years since LaFleur has been HC for 3 years.  LaFleur likes the heavier package TE/RB as he invested more in that than WRs