Dream 2023 off-season

scs787

I feel like Adams post is about to get hijacked with talks of all the cap room we have in 2023 so I thought I'd branch off a bit and create that conversation here.

They have A TON of money and there are a lot of names out there right now. Most if not all will get franchised, but for shits and giggles how would you spend 135M in cap space? The 135 number assumes Quinn is gone. 

First on offense. We already have Fields, Mooney, Jones, Kmet, Whitehair, Patrick, and Jenkins returning. All those guys are gonna be starters in 2023 IMO.  Then you also have Herbert and Abner under contract as well and I believe one of those guys could emerge and be a starter as well. 

Deebo- 35M

Quinten Nelson-17M

Add to the dream a 1st round stud LT

That would give the Bears

QB- Fields

RB- Herbert/Abner/Day 2 pick? 

WR- Deebo, Mooney, Velus 🤩

TE- Kmet 

OT- 1R Pick and Jenkins

OG- Nelson and Whitehair

OC- Patrick

THAT could be an incredibly sexy offense.  3 dynamic recievers behind that OL? With a much improved Fields? Oof. 

That's 52M. 

Now on D...In my dream Gipson continues to emerge and Dom Robinson proves to be a steal in the draft. There's your 2 DEs. Jackson, Johnson, Gordon, Brisker,  and Jones will be back. 

Resign Roquan- 18M

Resign Morrow- 9M

Resign the Safety we got from Tennessee-4M

Sign Darron Payne(3T) 16M

That's 47M

Sooo that's a combined 98 out of roughly 135M. Obviously there's gonna be a lot of money spent on depth and on the draft, but man. 

I don't have names yet but a dream draft would be....

1st Round- Stud LT

2R- DT to pair with Payne and rotate in with Jones

3R- nickle CB 

4R- WR

5R- DE

Yeah, it is really insane. You could easily sign 2-3 Pro-Bowlers without even flinching. 

The window with Fields is 2023-25, then you have to start cutting some fat. However, if you sign contracts next offseason, all they need to do is have an out after 3 years which seems easier nowadays.

I am hoping for some success this year with some young guys emerging, then having the ability to fill out the rest of the rosters with top picks and top tier FAs.

Nelson would be awesome, but I have to believe the Colts will find a way to keep Nelson.

There are currently 12 teams already over the cap for next season. The Saints are $57M over, Bucs $47M, Panthers $30M, and Browns $20M. All these teams are going to have to cut some fat next offseason just to fit under the cap. That is the perfect time for the Bears to swoop in and pick some top tier guys up.

I think Montgomery is going to be there too. Maybe i don't understand how he doesn't fit into the scheme, but I see a really talented back with vision who finishes his runs. He hasnt seen a hole his entire time here, and now he will. I think he is going to be a star.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

I think Montgomery is going to be there too. Maybe i don't understand how he doesn't fit into the scheme, but I see a really talented back with vision who finishes his runs. He hasnt seen a hole his entire time here, and now he will. I think he is going to be a star.

Montgomery would and will be fine in this offense, buttt, he may not be the best fit. 

The key word in "Wide zone blocking scheme" is wide. Running backs are gonna be asked to go out wide more and work outside of the tackle box. Obviously quicker runners will be able to get outside faster and will operate better in the wide zone. 

I won't go as far as others have and call Monty a plodder, buttt, he's definitely not a burner. Monty ran a 4.63 40. Ebner, who is gonna be my surprise player for this year ran a 4.48. 

Shanahan is the guy most known for the wide zone(his dad created it). Right now the 49ers SLOWEST RB on the roster runs a 4.49. They have A few guys in the 4.3s. 

Monty won't fit unless they feel like running plays into the back of the left tackle

56 minutes ago, scs787 said:

Montgomery would and will be fine in this offense, buttt, he may not be the best fit. 

The key word in "Wide zone blocking scheme" is wide. Running backs are gonna be asked to go out wide more and work outside of the tackle box. Obviously quicker runners will be able to get outside faster and will operate better in the wide zone. 

I won't go as far as others have and call Monty a plodder, buttt, he's definitely not a burner. Monty ran a 4.63 40. Ebner, who is gonna be my surprise player for this year ran a 4.48. 

Shanahan is the guy most known for the wide zone(his dad created it). Right now the 49ers SLOWEST RB on the roster runs a 4.49. They have A few guys in the 4.3s. 

Monty won't fit then unless they're running plays into the ass of an OT

5 hours ago, scs787 said:

I have no idea how fast Montgomery is now but whatever he is doing in the offseason on his speed he's definitely faster than he was in college.  He's not a burner by any means but he's likely closer to 4.5 now.  In wide zone he's got be decisive because too often he will bounce twice before pushing forward.  The defense will reading and flowing right along with the Oline.  If there's a crease with this new Oline it probably won't last long.  

10 hours ago, scs787 said:

I feel like Adams post is about to get hijacked with talks of all the cap room we have in 2023 so I thought I'd branch off a bit and create that conversation here.

They have A TON of money and there are a lot of names out there right now. Most if not all will get franchised, but for shits and giggles how would you spend 135M in cap space? The 135 number assumes Quinn is gone. 

First on offense. We already have Fields, Mooney, Jones, Kmet, Whitehair, Patrick, and Jenkins returning. All those guys are gonna be starters in 2023 IMO.  Then you also have Herbert and Abner under contract as well and I believe one of those guys could emerge and be a starter as well. 

Deebo- 35M

Quinten Nelson-17M

Add to the dream a 1st round stud LT

That would give the Bears

QB- Fields

RB- Herbert/Abner/Day 2 pick? 

WR- Deebo, Mooney, Velus 🤩

TE- Kmet 

OT- 1R Pick and Jenkins

OG- Nelson and Whitehair

OC- Patrick

THAT could be an incredibly sexy offense.  3 dynamic recievers behind that OL? With a much improved Fields? Oof. 

That's 52M. 

Now on D...In my dream Gipson continues to emerge and Dom Robinson proves to be a steal in the draft. There's your 2 DEs. Jackson, Johnson, Gordon, Brisker,  and Jones will be back. 

Resign Roquan- 18M

Resign Morrow- 9M

Resign the Safety we got from Tennessee-4M

Sign Darron Payne(3T) 16M

That's 47M

Sooo that's a combined 98 out of roughly 135M. Obviously there's gonna be a lot of money spent on depth and on the draft, but man. 

I don't have names yet but a dream draft would be....

1st Round- Stud LT

2R- DT to pair with Payne and rotate in with Jones

3R- nickle CB 

4R- WR

5R- DE

Let's just say no to Deebo and let SF (or someone else) make that crazy investment.   He's a good football player but he's not a generational talent.   We have Cliff Stein back on contracts so I'm expecting Roquan's deal to be front-loaded and maybe have a crazy cap hit of $30-40mil next year and then let it drift back down in the time frame when Fields next deal comes due.   We need two legit Dline starters not these rotational players we have now, and we might need to replace Quinn.   I like the DE backups but they are just that until proven otherwise.   I also like AQ at DE he's really a stop-gap hustle player who fits into the rotation.  Oline seems a likely choice for at least one 2nd tier FA addition (LT/LG/C/RG) but we'll see how the young guys play.  

12 hours ago, scs787 said:

I could be mistaken but didn't a lot of both Shanahan's teams use a ton of RBBC? 

14 hours ago, scs787 said:

We get first hand to see what Monty can do in this offense, maybe not be a speedster but could still be productive.

By using next gen stats, Herbert was 4th in the league at 20.88 mph

Monty was 5th at 20.80 mph. 

Everything is not always based on 40 times. The fastest player in the league is Ross/ WR , how productive is he?