Week 4 Official Game Thread - CHI @ NYG, +3, O/U 39.5, SUN 10/02, 12:00PM CT - FOX

adam

19 hours ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

I’m looking forward to this game to see how well the Giants’ offense plays.  Brian Daboll was someone I would’ve like to see as the HC for Chicago.  With how the offense was running in Buffalo and his success in the college ranks I thought he’d be a great addition for the sake of Fields.  However over the first three weeks his offense has been pretty putrid.  PFF has the offense currently ranked 32nd overall.  In each of the last two games they have scored only one TD apiece and not been able to do so until the second half. They are certainly struggling on offense but I suspect it’s more Daniel Jones than Daboll.  

For what it’s worth I’m still a fan of Flus.  I like his style of coaching and I really like that his defense seems to be holding their own, so far.  As far as offense goes, someone on Twitter mentioned that their 85 year old dad said the current version of Chicago offense is what they’ve been known for years to do.  A good defense and a great ground game.  Anything Justin does positive at this point is gravy.  He’ll get better with time.  

Yeah this is a very interesting game with several storylines. Daboll vs Flus, Schoen vs Poles, Fields vs Evan Neal, Kadarius Toney, and Daniel Bellinger. Barkley vs Smith/Morrow, Fields vs Jones, Bagley vs Gano, Mooney vs Jackson.

Another terrible weather game. On the edge of tropical storm. Constant rain and 25mph winds. Lovely. Another 100 yard passing game incoming. FGs are going to be challenging too, this might be a 12-8 game with 3 total TDs and a 2pt conversion.

2 drives, 2 FGs (by Bagley). One terrible sack on Fields, he had Kmet right away on quick pass to the flats but he doesn't pull the trigger and the defender immediately closes and sacks him. He finally had a nice deep ball to Mooney for 50+ air yards, so that was nice, but he needs to stop taking sacks and hits. 

Hopefully the defense can be better than the 2nd Giants drive, terrible backside contain on 3-4 plays. 

Bears down 7-6.

8 minutes ago, Alaskan Grizzly said:

Daniel Jones with his best David Blaine impersonation. Defense struggling early on. Falling for the sleight of hand. 

and Jones is not that fast, defenders look a little slow today

It's only been one half, but if Fields doesn't turn it around in the 2nd half, I really don't think he is magically going to figure it out with just more reps. 5 completions, 5 sacks, and a fumble lost. 

He is either not seeing the open guy or scrambles too early when the first read is there if just throws the ball.  It is the same thing every game, like Ground Hog Day. I have never seen anything like this for this long. Trubisky couldn't read defenses but he was at least serviceable and even seemed to get a little better over time, but the Bears are actually winning in spite of Fields. 

Monty is out with knee and ankle injuries from last week. Herbert isn’t running like he did last week so don’t think Monty needs to worry just yet.

Seems the backup RBs do better. Ebner has 4.3 yards per carry to Herbert’s 2.6. Fields leads all Bears rushing with 47 ttl yards and 7.8 per carry . 

4th and 2, down 8 with 4 minutes to go and you punt. I could care less that the defense forced a 3 and out inside the Giants 10. Coaching scared, not trusting Fields.

If you can't beat the Giants without a QB and a WR corps, who can you beat? 

This team should be 0-4. 

27 minutes ago, dawhizz said:

How can you trust Fields? On the Bears last four drives before the muffed punt return by Jones, Fields completed a total of one pass for 2 yards. 

You can't. He has been the worst starting QB since last season and nothing has changed, if anything, he has regressed. Receivers are open, he just doesn't throw the ball. He runs into sacks, doesn't react to blitzes (not seeing them). It is going to be a long season playing like this. As much as they said last year's draft class was great, I am not so sure.

Fields 11-22, 174 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT, 6 Sacks, 1 FL
Lawrence 11-23, 174 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT, 4 Sacks, 4 FL

but then:

Hurts 16-25, 204 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT
Jackson 20-29, 144 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT

This might be the saddest one:

Dalton (vs MIN) - 20-28, 71.4%, 236 yds, 8.4 Y/A, 1 TD, 0 INT