Eddie Jackson

adam

I know everyone has been hyped about Fields over the last few weeks, but Eddie Jackson needs some love. He leads the NFL in takeaways with 6 (4 INTs and 2 FFs), 3 players have 5, and 2 have 4. So outside of those 5 players, Jackson has double the amount of takeaways than every other player in the league this year. 

The most takeaways he had in one year was 8 (2018), INTs was 6 (2018), and FF was 3 (2020). So he has a great shot to break all his personal records with 8 games remaining. 

50 minutes ago, adam said:

I know everyone has been hyped about Fields over the last few weeks, but Eddie Jackson needs some love. He leads the NFL in takeaways with 6 (4 INTs and 2 FFs), 3 players have 5, and 2 have 4. So outside of those 5 players, Jackson has double the amount of takeaways than every other player in the league this year. 

The most takeaways he had in one year was 8 (2018), INTs was 6 (2018), and FF was 3 (2020). So he has a great shot to break all his personal records with 8 games remaining. 

He must be due to get a new contract, he has taken how many years off since his last one?

He is going to be very expensive, and while he is playing well, I dont know if he is an $18 Million a year player. You could put a $9 Million a year player there, or a young drafted ascending player, and add another stud to the DL so the FS doesnt have to cover as long.

I wouldn’t even consider signing him again, he and Goldman could start a club for players who played lights out in the year before their contract is due and then absolutely dogging it until their next contract is coming up.  Please rewind back to the last two years before falling in love with this pretender

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

He is going to be very expensive, and while he is playing well, I dont know if he is an $18 Million a year player. You could put a $9 Million a year player there, or a young drafted ascending player, and add another stud to the DL so the FS doesnt have to cover as long.

We could but we have a lot of holes to fill on defense and creating another one in 2023 isn't ideal IMO.  Right now he's responded positively to the way the coaches want him to play and considering the lack of pass rush his turnovers are outstanding.  He's expensive next year no doubt but cap space doesn't win football games good players do.  Right now he's one of them.   I move forward with him in 2023 and adjust as desired after next season.  If someone falls our way in the draft and is performing well in 2023 we can look trade him for a draft pick mid-season.  

I really think it's all about fit with him. He's in a scheme that fits what he does well and he's playing next to the type of player that allows him to be a legit "Free" safety. He's only gonna get better when the rest of the secondary gets better as well. Vidor stinks and Gordon is going through some growing pains. To me, he's a keeper. I think you keep your core 4 together in the secondary for a few more years. 

8 hours ago, Daventry said:

I wouldn’t even consider signing him again, he and Goldman could start a club for players who played lights out in the year before their contract is due and then absolutely dogging it until their next contract is coming up.  Please rewind back to the last two years before falling in love with this pretender

...Except he's under contract for another 2 and a half years. Soooooo....

1 hour ago, scs787 said:

...Except he's under contract for another 2 and a half years. Soooooo....

Sorry, when discussions about keeping him came up I assumed his contract was ending.  I certainly would never sign him to a big contract again, regardless of excuses he sucked for the last two years.  

1 hour ago, BearFan PHX said:

we will see. Ejax is playing OK, but $18 Million and $19 Million a year is a lot of money. If they wouldnt keep Roquan for $20 Million, they might not keep EJax for around the same...

If you can replace him with a vet that is as productive cheaper, of course. That hasnt presented itself yet. Why drop a good player for money when we have 125 mil in cap space? That is one more hole to fill. 

5 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

If you can replace him with a vet that is as productive cheaper, of course. That hasnt presented itself yet. Why drop a good player for money when we have 125 mil in cap space? That is one more hole to fill. 

because you'd have $18+ Million to fill it with?

Im not saying Jackson is terrible. But Neither is Roquan, not by a long shot. But you dont get to where we are going by keeping overpaid players just because you have a lot of cap room.

Maybe they can sign him to a long term deal that's lower in numbers, but Im just saying dont be shocked if they try to trade him, or even cut him outright. Might they resign him after that? Sure, at a lower number.

If they do trade him or cut him, it'll cost us $9 Million in dead money, but we will free up $8 Million more in cap space for next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/eddie-jackson-21854/

55 minutes ago, BearFan PHX said:

because you'd have $18+ Million to fill it with?

Im not saying Jackson is terrible. But Neither is Roquan, not by a long shot. But you dont get to where we are going by keeping overpaid players just because you have a lot of cap room.

Maybe they can sign him to a long term deal that's lower in numbers, but Im just saying dont be shocked if they try to trade him, or even cut him outright. Might they resign him after that? Sure, at a lower number.

If they do trade him or cut him, it'll cost us $9 Million in dead money, but we will free up $8 Million more in cap space for next year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/eddie-jackson-21854/

You say you replace him but, draft a 3 rd round rookie to replace him? If you get a vet and cut AJac, he's costing you 9 mil + the new salary.. It will be 5 or 6 at the most not 18+ mil. 

39 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

You say you replace him but, draft a 3 rd round rookie to replace him? If you get a vet and cut AJac, he's costing you 9 mil + the new salary.. It will be 5 or 6 at the most not 18+ mil. 

I dont think overpaying players just because you have cap room is a good strategy, or what Poles is about.

Your math is all about 1 year, Im talking long term, which is where we are at.

I am fine with Jackson in 2023, I think the decision will come in 2024. I guess it will depend on where the team is after 2023. If the Bears are doing really well and are a playoff team in 2023, then you probably keep Jackson around for a SB run. If the team is still a year or two away, then you probably move on from him after 2023.

Just now, adam said:

I am fine with Jackson in 2023, I think the decision will come in 2024. I guess it will depend on where the team is after 2023. If the Bears are doing really well and are a playoff team in 2023, then you probably keep Jackson around for a SB run. If the team is still a year or two away, then you probably move on from him after 2023.

This is definitely possible. I can see either scenario really. If the Bears can get a decent pick for EJax that might tip the scales.

3 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

This is definitely possible. I can see either scenario really. If the Bears can get a decent pick for EJax that might tip the scales.

After seeing today's game, Jackson doesn't matter. He needs too many other good players around him to make plays. I would trade him in the offseason and get anything you can for him as draft capital is going to be the Bears best friend as they are going to need as many picks as they can get with this roster.

1 minute ago, adam said:

After seeing today's game, Jackson doesn't matter. He needs too many other good players around him to make plays. I would trade him in the offseason and get anything you can for him as draft capital is going to be the Bears best friend as they are going to need as many picks as they can get with this roster.

I've been trying not to take too firm of a stance, but in my heart of hearts, this is what Im thinking too.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone talks about getting rid of the expensive older players but dont think Poles will do that . EJac is playing well and  is a leader on the team. Next yr it will be 9.5 dead money if we trade him but if we wait until post June 1 to cut him, its 4 mil dead money. I think he is here thru 2023 until some other leaders take over as long as he is productive. This yr he was the leading vote getter at FS for the pro bowl. Tough injury for him. 

Another player at the end of his run will be Whitehair. He creates a big hit if cut or traded.  I think he will stay for another yr as the other younger players develop. No way he has the OL without some vet leadership. Now if he signs someone like Elgton Jenkins and replaces Whitehair that may be possible but not sure there is trade value on a 31 yr old LG. It would cost some dead cap but Jenkins is going to be 28, 3 yrs younger and a better player.