Poles Press Conference

AZ54

Worth watching for insights on the plan..

https://www.chicagobears.com/video/ryan-poles-discusses-dj-moore-free-agent-signings-press-conference

He holds to his valuations/performance as well as scheme fits (i.e. Orlando Brown)

Ok to pay top dollar for young high performers (relative to their peers) who fit scheme and needs and that's why we signed the two LBs.    Also explains backing out of negotiations for McGlinchey when price got too high.  

He is on a multi-year plan to build a sustainable winning organization.  (translation - fans might be in more of a rush)    Therefore avoid overpaying for the quick "need" fix.   This will leave some gaps (i.e. DT) but he's confident over time between this year and next we can close those gaps. 

He seems open to trading up in the 2nd Rd for the right player.   He also appeared to be open to trading down again from 9.    

Whitehair is first option at Center (my words).  Poles' cited Cody's past performance at Center as being pretty good.  Based on that it appears Davis goes to LG, Jenkins RG.  My concern here is can Whitehair snap the ball well enough and at 31 is he able to handle that switch back to the middle?  This experiment gets carried out in the spring/summer.  Explains letting Musty go and keeping Patrick as backup for now but I wouldn't rule out a rookie taking over the backup role.  If they like what they are seeing  maybe they renegotiate Whitehair's contract, if they like the rookie maybe he gets cut in camp.  This seems like a reasonable plan.  

It's amazing to see someone who is looking toward a sustainable future and not just hoping to sneak in a short window to a playoff game. We will finally be a real team. Contending some years, building up others, but we will be pretty good even in the building years. This awful boom / bust cycle weve been in for decades is finally over.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

By the age group of players he signs , his SB contender projection is in year 2024 - 2026. This year will go along way to establishing the core. Next year will be to fill in the blanks .Tis can accelerate by Justin's development.

That's what it looks like. And if for some odd reason Fields doesnt progress, you can pick up a top QB next year and have a stocked team waiting for him to grow into.