Roster Projections

Mongo3451

The Athletic came out with their roster projection for the Bears.  It's way early, but it's very close to what we've all discussed.

https://theathletic.com/4616758/2023/06/19/bears-roster-projection-training-camp?source=user-shared-article

One lingering question I have is about ESB vs Pettis at WR.  ESB is valued in the run game and Special Teams.  My belief is that he not an asset as receiver.  Pettis has shown value as a returner and receiver, while being so so at blocking.  These two players have specifically different values.  My pick is Pettis, while theirs is ESB.  I like the receiving production and return ability, given that Velus had some hiccups that could re-emerge.  Thoughts...

Are we keeping 5 or 6?    I’d say 6 stick around.    I think they will stick with Velus as primary returner this year and see what else they can get out of him.   Tyler Scott is getting reps at PR and maybe KR.    He may end up the primary competition for Pettis in terms of getting snaps.   There is no need to duplicate talent so one of them ends up on practice squad. Barring injury that is likely stonePettis.  Which means ESB makes the 53.  

2 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

With Velus and Tyler Scott on the roster, Pettis is similar where ESB is a big WR and a good blocker. I would say Pettis is gone but we can keep two vets on the practice squad. so maybe they stick him there. I see both being able to contribute. 

I will also add ESB is a system guy and was brought in to help install the offense.  I think he sticks and Pettis ends up being the odd man out. 

It seems like the bubble players are Tonges, Weatherford, and maybe Velus? Other than that, it would seem like a shock if any of the other guys didn't make the roster.

If the Bears do bring in a new Edge, who drops off, Weatherford at LB, Bell to the PS? The 9 DL seem pretty locked in: (DeMarcus Walker, Dominique Robinson, Trevis Gipson, Rasheem Green, Justin Jones, Andrew Billings, Gervon Dexter Sr., Zacch Pickens, Travis Bell). 4 Edge, 5 DT.

1 hour ago, adam said:

It seems like the bubble players are Tonges, Weatherford, and maybe Velus? Other than that, it would seem like a shock if any of the other guys didn't make the roster.

If the Bears do bring in a new Edge, who drops off, Weatherford at LB, Bell to the PS? The 9 DL seem pretty locked in: (DeMarcus Walker, Dominique Robinson, Trevis Gipson, Rasheem Green, Justin Jones, Andrew Billings, Gervon Dexter Sr., Zacch Pickens, Travis Bell). 4 Edge, 5 DT.

I have to admit I agree Velus is on the roster bubble.  On one hand that’s bad for last years 3 Rd pick.   On the other hand this WR corps has come along far faster and far better than I ever thought possible at the time Velus was drafted.  If it comes down to Pettis or Velus I’m keeping Velus.  He’s better with the ball in his hands and their hands are about equal.  Period is the better route runner but I prefer Velus on jet sweeps and drag routes.  

1 hour ago, AZ54 said:

I have to admit I agree Velus is on the roster bubble.  On one hand that’s bad for last years 3 Rd pick.   On the other hand this WR corps has come along far faster and far better than I ever thought possible at the time Velus was drafted.  If it comes down to Pettis or Velus I’m keeping Velus.  He’s better with the ball in his hands and their hands are about equal.  Period is the better route runner but I prefer Velus on jet sweeps and drag routes.  

Pettis has been in the league for a while now and Velus just arrived.  I do not think they give up on him this soon.  The Bears do have a difficult offense for WRs to grasp and he was a big investment, so I would think they want to give him more time.  With Claypool, Mooney,  ESB, and Pettis playing on a  contract year, they should hold onto Velus unless he just does not grasp it since he is locked for 3 more years.