2023 Cap Situation (July 26th Edition)

adam

After the Kmet extension, $3.6M got applied to the 2023 cap, bringing the Bears cap space down to $28.4M, still the highest available cap in the NFL. 

The next 4 teams are the Cards with $25.9M, Jets with $23.6M, Panthers with $20.6M, and Cowboys with $19.6M. 

So only 2 teams over $25M and 4 over $20M left. 

The Bears could take on a vet for a $7.5M cap hit this year and still have the 3rd biggest cap. Poles has the Bears in a great position as they can still spend and save some to rollover for next year. 

2 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

Would love to see one of the WRs take hold and never let up.  Claypool would be ideal since he is a athletic freak and it is hard to find those players.

That would be great to see all three to contend.  Marvin Harrison Jr will out there, but it would be nice not to need him in case trade scenarios are out there to make us better. 

15 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

That would be great to see all three to contend.  Marvin Harrison Jr will out there, but it would be nice not to need him in case trade scenarios are out there to make us better. 

for sure. but Harrison and Moore is a pretty scary combination too :)

7 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

Heck yea, it would be a dream...

It looks like Harrison is going to be a top 5, maybe even top 3 pick. We really need Carolina to suck this year and end up in the bottom 3. I don't know how many teams would move away from picking Harrison to move to something a few picks later and only pick up #32 in 2024.

If the offense goes well and the top 3 Wrs all contribute, I think our first pick will be a pass rusher. Carolina does not look like a top 3 bad team. I think they end up 7-10. If we are successful, we will be picking above 20. Not sure those clicks get us to top 3. Now if Claypool busts out , then maybe that changes but we will still need a edge.

4 hours ago, Stinger226 said:

If the offense goes well and the top 3 Wrs all contribute, I think our first pick will be a pass rusher. Carolina does not look like a top 3 bad team. I think they end up 7-10. If we are successful, we will be picking above 20. Not sure those clicks get us to top 3. Now if Claypool busts out , then maybe that changes but we will still need a edge.

That's what the smart money says.  Edge is a premier position and we still need two studs to have a contending D.  It would be wonderful if a current guy emerges.  I'm already hearing QB and WR are deep in next year's draft class.  Hopefully, edge is in that category too...