Confidence Level - 53-man roster day

adam

How confident are you in the Bears roster going into the season, today?

Knowing that Poles has overhauled almost the entire roster in 2 years has me feeling pretty good. I think he needs one more offseason to hit the sweet spot, but we are going to be a pesky team this year.

Knowing how last season turned out, how many close games the Bears lost, the fact that 30% of the players on the 53-man from last year can't make an NFL roster this year, and that Poles has also upgraded half of the key contributors has me drinking a little of the Koolaid.

On offense, compared to opening day 2022, the Bears have an upgrade at WR1, WR2, TE2, C, and RT. On defense, you can say the same thing for DE1, DE2, DT2, LB2, and CB2. 10 key contributors upgraded. I am not even counting rotational guys or the depth at LB or RB, which are two of the strongest rooms.

Then if Fields is becomes marginally better as a passer, it is hard to imagine a losing season 6-8 wins. 9-11 still feels about right unless the injury bug really hits the team hard. 

I think defense is still weak, but hopefully young players take steps forward. Offense still has flaws. I need to see Mooney still has his speed and Claypool at this point has done zilch - so need to see a lot. If they aren’t what they can be - this offense isn’t very good. 

But I do think this roster is setting up - if Fields struggles, you have the capital to move forward with new QB and be in position to be where they need to be. I truly hope Fields can do it though and I am just going to wait and see. 

I think 7-10 wins. 10 at absolute most. Gun to my head 7-8. 

I would be disappointed in anything less than 9 wins.

Surely, after all the improvements Poles has made via draft & FA, we are a .500 team.

Add to the mix a relatively favorable schedule, 2023 should be an exciting season to watch.

I sure hope so. I'm still rehabbing, wearing a wickedly uncomfortable brace, after fracturing 2 vertebrae.

Need something to cheer me up. 

Pesky is a good description because I think this roster can compete with all but the best teams.  There is still a lot of inexperience on the roster so we see how quickly they come together.   We will be capable of more explosive plays on offense.  Defense should be better at preventing explosive plays.    

Week 1 will be very insightful.   Win or lose fans emotions and year long predictions are going to swing to either extreme.  I’m riding the fence at 8 and 8 for a 17 game schedule with Wk1 result tipping it (7 or 9 wins).  

8 hours ago, adam said:

On offense, compared to opening day 2022, the Bears have an upgrade at WR1, WR2, TE2, C, and RT. On defense, you can say the same thing for DE1, DE2, DT2, LB2, and CB2. 10 key contributors upgraded. I am not even counting rotational guys or the depth at LB or RB, which are two of the strongest rooms.

You can also list players that in the same position upgraded, due to being young and improving.

QB, LT, SS, RB, nickel and swing tackle.