The center position

Stinger226

Its obvious we will need a new OC next year. We didnt draft one this year and the only one that had started was John Michael Scmitiz and he has been hurt for 4 games and not played well at all. According to PFF the 32nd ranked center. Joe Tippmann was drafted as a OG-OC and is starting at OG and has good grades. Last years group drafted may end up being good players but not one them has shined in their first year. 

I think Whitehair will be let go and Patrick is out of contract. Doug Kramer hasnt seen the field yet so we have nothing to judge him by. The best OC in the draft ( Sedic Van Pran )is rated a second round pick  and we no longer have a 2nd round pick. He may last until the 3rd round but may not be an instant starter. Only a few have done that over the last few years. 

There are a few in FAgency this year under 30:

Andre James/Raiders  9th ranked on PFF

Evan Brown/ Seahawks 23 rd ranked

Lloyd Cushenberry/Broncos 13th ranked

Tyler Biadasz/Cowboys 18th ranked

Connor McGovern and Ryan Jensen will be available be are going to be 32.

I would say go after Andre James at 27 and playing well this year and have Doug Kramer as the backup and still drat one later in the draft.

I don’t think we’ll spend big money there.  I’d say we’re more likely to use a 4th rd pick and maybe even give Patrick one more year to compete.  If not Patrick I could see another second tier FA just not the top FA center because those guys always get overpaid.  

3 hours ago, AZ54 said:

I don’t think we’ll spend big money there.  I’d say we’re more likely to use a 4th rd pick and maybe even give Patrick one more year to compete.  If not Patrick I could see another second tier FA just not the top FA center because those guys always get overpaid.  

FAgency doesnt have any top tier centers but may get one and a rookie. Poles drafted Kramer, I would like to see what he has got. Apparently not resdy yet. 

I have a couple of under the radar Centers that I think can be good players.

I think the Bears still have to move down once to recoup a 2nd. Too many high end needs with safety and maybe another CB, unless Smith develops more.

Graham Barton Duke 6-5, 315

High football IQ

Bryce Foster Texas AM. 6-5 330

More power and good IQ. 

33 minutes ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I have a couple of under the radar Centers that I think can be good players.

I think the Bears still have to move down once to recoup a 2nd. Too many high end needs with safety and maybe another CB, unless Smith develops more.

Graham Barton Duke 6-5, 315

High football IQ

Bryce Foster Texas AM. 6-5 330

More power and good IQ. 

The best OCs in the draft are only rated 3rd round and lower. We dont need to grab one in the second. Barton was listed as a OG , didnt know he played center.

I want to draft the best center prospect possible.  Poles needs to search for football IQ and leadership as well as the obvious physical traits.  We don't know, the center we draft could be playing tackle right now.  This position was the only thing that left me wanting in the off season.  Poles missed on not getting one.

57 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I want to draft the best center prospect possible.  Poles needs to search for football IQ and leadership as well as the obvious physical traits.  We don't know, the center we draft could be playing tackle right now.  This position was the only thing that left me wanting in the off season.  Poles missed on not getting one.

DE?  

18 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

When and where?  At the risk of Darnell Wright?  No.  This was supposed to be the year of Justin.  Who else was out there?

I wouldn't change the Wright pick either just saying DE was a glaring position of need that wasn't addressed.  Maybe that gap didn't leave you wanting but it did for me and it has affected several games very negatively this season. 

DE likely would have been addressed in Rd 2 but edge players went earlier than expected at the back end of Rd 1 and early 2nd so we grabbed a DT in Rd 2 and 3.   It was all good for me since that was a huge need too and now we have a good run defense.   We were never going to fix all that was wrong with the 2022 team in one offseason.   Some gaps, like OC, have been minimized by better play from Patrick than we had from Mustipher last year but it's still a need.     

4 hours ago, Mongo3451 said:

I want Poles to draft an OC that has played a lot of OC. Multiple years. This perpetual Chicago offensive line interchangeable parts thing has virtually never succeeded. I'm sick of it. The Bears should draft someone for every position that has a ton of reps at that position.

5 minutes ago, jason said:

I want Poles to draft an OC that has played a lot of OC. Multiple years. This perpetual Chicago offensive line interchangeable parts thing has virtually never succeeded. I'm sick of it. The Bears should draft someone for every position that has a ton of reps at that position.

Center is as key, look no further than kc or phi.  The Bears have had issues with their centers hurting their snap hand.  Whitehair, Patrick, and Kramer all injured that hand.  What happened to Feeney?  I thought he would have been a piece by now. I have to say Jenkins needs to be resigned but many would argue his health.  He is nearly the best for having to play anywhere asked.  Last, B Jones has the rest of the season to show Poles he doesn't need to draft LT, I still would with a top 5 pick.  We seen what Fields can do with a great line (Was). 

8 hours ago, jason said:

I agree and slightly disagree.  Yes, we want someone we know can play the position.  But, the best player on most schools plays tackle.  That tackle may have the traits to play center in the NFL.  It's hard to judge a college center, as they don't have assignment responsibilities of an NFL center.  As an example Jason Kelce only played 12 games at center.  He went to UC as a running back.  The savvy and athleticism may be elsewhere.  No more Hronis Grasu's.

57 minutes ago, Mongo3451 said:

I agree and slightly disagree.  Yes, we want someone we know can play the position.  But, the best player on most schools plays tackle.  That tackle may have the traits to play center in the NFL.  It's hard to judge a college center, as they don't have assignment responsibilities of an NFL center.  As an example Jason Kelce only played 12 games at center.  He went to UC as a running back.  The savvy and athleticism may be elsewhere.  No more Hronis Grasu's.

Kramer is that seasoned smart OC but not sure he is physically up to the challenge. I think Poles will bring in a FA and draft one. He seems to hammer a position when its a need, WR-DB and now edge. He sighed 3 DEs and now traded for one.