Bears sign help at DT

ostrogoth

Bears signed DT Matt Toeaina off the Bengals' practice squad.

A sixth-round pick out of Oregon in April, Toeaina immediately becomes the Bears' fifth defensive tackle. He was known as a run stopper with the Ducks.

Bears signed former Rams DT Jimmy Kennedy on Tuesday.

Kennedy, a 2003 first-round pick by the Rams, has been a bust in the NFL and has not played this season after being waived by the Broncos in training camp. The Bears are desperate for interior line help after a recent rash of injuries and Kennedy played under coach Lovie Smith with the Rams

Lovie Smith is "hopeful" that CB Nathan Vasher (groin) can return to the lineup this week against the Vikings.

Vasher has avoided being placed on the IR despite missing 10 straight games. If active, and that's a big if at this point, he likely would play in nickel packages against the surprisingly effective Tarvaris Jackson.

How many weeks has it been where Vasher has been rumored to be inserted back into the lineup. It has to be at least 4-5 weeks (we all thought he was back after the bye week for sure). I don't mind playing him because his injury isn't the type that if he were to tweak it we would have him out for a large chunk of next season (if he tweaks it again he'd stlil be ready for mini-camps). Still I'd just as well let McBride continue to develop since the Bears don't really have a chance. Than again there is something to be said about trying to finish the season strong and set a tempo/mindset for next year (kind of like the Packers did).

"Lovie Smith is "hopeful" that CB Nathan Vasher (groin) can return to the lineup this week against the Vikings.

Vasher has avoided being placed on the IR despite missing 10 straight games. If active, and that's a big if at this point, he likely would play in nickel packages against the surprisingly effective Tarvaris Jackson. "

With the season basically over why would we play a player that has been hurt most of the year, who we know what he brings to the table, at all? Rest him and see what the younger players we have on the team have to offer. This is a good chance to see if we have players in place so we can cut thugerella and save the wasted money we have spent on this overpriced clown shoe and spend whatever we save on positions we need, like OL and WR.

I agree. He is signed long term and I don't want to see him get injured again especially considering our season is over. The miracle we need to get in the playoffs just ain't going to happen. Miracles that big just don't happen. We are giong to need him for next season and when healthy this team can be very good especially the D. <_>

I just don't get Lovie...why the dumb personnel decisions? Let Vasher rest until off season conditioning...why risk getting him seriously injured to play in 3 meaningless games? He tore a groin (Man I flinch just typing that), if he is tentative on it he might end up hurting something else while trying to compensate for it. Sit him and play Graham and McBride. Anyone else notice that JA's only gems seem to be late round or small school DB'?

I just don't get Lovie...why the dumb personnel decisions? Let Vasher rest until off season conditioning...why risk getting him seriously injured to play in 3 meaningless games? He tore a groin (Man I flinch just typing that), if he is tentative on it he might end up hurting something else while trying to compensate for it. Sit him and play Graham and McBride. Anyone else notice that JA's only gems seem to be late round or small school DB'?

JA definitely has a knack for going after small school guys, but you also have to remember some of his better late round picks were guys like Alex Brown (Florida), & Nathan Vasher (Texas) who both excelled while playing at major schools (in fact Ian Scott is another Florida guy and I think there are probably a couple others as well).