QB Daniels vs Williams..

OmahaBear

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

From the Poles perspective - after year 1, I erred on patience, now almost through the 2nd year - I am getting excited.  When I think about what he's done in the 2 years:

The positive: Brought in 10 new starters - bulk of which are young and ascending (Via Draft = Gordon / Brisker / Braxton Jones / Wright / Sanborn / Stevenson / Dexter; Via Free Agency or Trade = TJ Edwards / Montez Sweat / Edmunds). These were +10 in terms of new starters; The only guys headed out that were impactful were Mack & Roquan.  So in my mind +8 in terms of net roster upgrades.   

- Acquired DJ Moore & Extra Top 3 Pick (+ Future 2nd Rounder)

- Turned Khalil Mack into Jaquan Brisker (plus helped future cap space) 

- Turned Roquan Smith into Edmunds, Edwards, and Dexter (who is starting to trend up)

- '22 Draft: No first round pick - but found 3 starters - Gordon, Brisker, and Braxton Jones; Identified 4th starter via UDFA (Jack Sanborn). Hicks & Carter emerging at very least as quality depth pieces.  Trenton Gill is a starting punter - but I am not going to focus much on that. 

- '23 Draft: On track for 3 starters with all 3 currently ascending: Wright (Looking good), Stevenson (Ascending), Dexter (Ascending).  Later round picks show potential to emerge as contributors (Scott / Roschon Johnson / Pickens / Terrell Smith).

Meh: 

- Ed Davis signing (flashes of good - but family stuff and injuries have impacted ability to assess on field performance)

- A number of FA dline signings (all have been pretty meh to date)

- Traded Robert Quinn for Terrell Smith - I saw meh because it was a solid move, Smith shows upside for a 5th rounder - so if that hits - than we are in business.  But concept was still good - move aging player who didn't fit the contention window for an asset.  

Misses: 

- Velus Jones (if you can call a pick that late a miss)

- Chase Claypool 

- Lucas Patrick / '23 Center Fiasco 

- Had some misses on short-term deals in free agency, especially in year 1; But nothing that set the franchise back.  

I'm good with Poles moves. Velus was #71, so I wouldn't call that a late pick, the 7th pick in the 3rd Round. I really think the late run on WRs in the 2nd made him reach. He drafts Brisker at 48, and only 9 WRs have went so far with guys like Thornton, Pickens, Pierce, and Moore all still on the board. Then they all come off the board in the next 6 picks. So the 3rd starts and not a single WR is selected and he does not have a 4th rounder. By the time they pick again, it's pick 168, where he picked Braxton Jones. Crazy fact, guess who went the pick in front of Jones? DaRon Bland, NFL leader in INTs. In an alternate universe, the Bears have Abraham Lucas, Alec Pierce, and DaRon Bland instead of Jones, Jones, and Gordon. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

From the Poles perspective - after year 1, I erred on patience, now almost through the 2nd year - I am getting excited.  When I think about what he's done in the 2 years:

The positive: Brought in 10 new starters - bulk of which are young and ascending (Via Draft = Gordon / Brisker / Braxton Jones / Wright / Sanborn / Stevenson / Dexter; Via Free Agency or Trade = TJ Edwards / Montez Sweat / Edmunds). These were +10 in terms of new starters; The only guys headed out that were impactful were Mack & Roquan.  So in my mind +8 in terms of net roster upgrades.   

- Acquired DJ Moore & Extra Top 3 Pick (+ Future 2nd Rounder)

- Turned Khalil Mack into Jaquan Brisker (plus helped future cap space) 

- Turned Roquan Smith into Edmunds, Edwards, and Dexter (who is starting to trend up)

- '22 Draft: No first round pick - but found 3 starters - Gordon, Brisker, and Braxton Jones; Identified 4th starter via UDFA (Jack Sanborn). Hicks & Carter emerging at very least as quality depth pieces.  Trenton Gill is a starting punter - but I am not going to focus much on that. 

- '23 Draft: On track for 3 starters with all 3 currently ascending: Wright (Looking good), Stevenson (Ascending), Dexter (Ascending).  Later round picks show potential to emerge as contributors (Scott / Roschon Johnson / Pickens / Terrell Smith).

Meh: 

- Ed Davis signing (flashes of good - but family stuff and injuries have impacted ability to assess on field performance)

- A number of FA dline signings (all have been pretty meh to date)

- Traded Robert Quinn for Terrell Smith - I saw meh because it was a solid move, Smith shows upside for a 5th rounder - so if that hits - than we are in business.  But concept was still good - move aging player who didn't fit the contention window for an asset.  

Misses: 

- Velus Jones (if you can call a pick that late a miss)

- Chase Claypool 

- Lucas Patrick / '23 Center Fiasco 

- Had some misses on short-term deals in free agency, especially in year 1; But nothing that set the franchise back.  

A few things, he offered Brian Allen a contract for more money than the Rams paid him but he stayed with the SB champs. Patrick was his  second choice at center.

Some say Terrell Smith was playing better than Stevenson at the beginning of the year. I think he ends up being very good.

Justin Jones has been playing well, and i think they bring him back. He's not a star but since Sweat got here he's been balling. \

Nate Davis was very good before he got here, so i just think the beginning  of the yr derailed his season.

Remember we still have a second rounder (2025) coming in that original trade with Carolina. That trade was so good with the roster building. That's why I think he may do it again.   If he does trade pick 1 and gets a future one from another bad team, we could be rolling a top 5 pick in 2025. That would be amazing.