Adjusted Cap Space

Stinger226

We spent 22 mil in free agency so far that brings us to 22 mil. Our adjusted rate is figuring in rookie pool which is high because we have 2 first round picks. Also last year we had 7 mil for in season business. So 22 mil left. We need a WR, and DL,, if not 2. Another C.

He may stay with Bates and draft a C which would need to be in the second round which we don't have. 

I see no high level edge or DT with only 22 mil left . More on the lines of D Walker and Justin Jones like last year. 

Chase Young- Clowney, and SJ Wonnum . Are the best of the rest IMO

Still lots of WRs but he's not paying  Mooney type money. I hope he can still get Curtis Samuel for around 3/ 20.

Some DTs left but with the money we have  to find a 2/11 type deal

Odds are we can still get one above average player that's left. 

I hope Clowney can be got on a 1/7.5 mil deal. That would be the best get 

I would like Samuel - Clowney - Quintin Jefferson and hopefully a Connor Williams on a deal because he won't be playing for the first 6 weeks.

According to OTC, the $44M in effective cap includes Swift, Owens, Bates, and Johnson. It just doesn't include Byard and Everett so far. The max cap hits for Byard and Everett total $13.5M, but will more than likely be slightly lower. So the Bears have at least $30M left and probably closer to $33M left.

They also can create some wiggle room if they want it, they can convert some of Sweat's, Edmunds', or Moore's salary to bonuses, which could free up to $15M without massive impacts on future cap space.

Lastly, if they did trade Fields, that would save an additional $3M. So that is over $50M in effective cap space without doing too much.

If we stick with the $33M, they should be able to get 3-4 starter level players. They need a Center, WR, Edge, and DT, so I can see them using most of the remaining space on those guys to replace Whitehair/Mooney/Ngakoue/Jones. If they need more space, then they can create it and use the rest on some lower level guys under $3M per year.

Patrick, Green, Lewis, St. Brown, Taylor, and Cole would be the remaining "holes" that need to be filled and all of them were backups that should not require extensive cap space to fill. Some of the deals will be vet minimums that won't even hit the top 51 salaries of the cap.

One last thing to consider. There about a 1M buffer right now, so the Bears can sign a guy with a $3M cap hit and it only makes the current cap go up $2M because that player is knocking a $1M player off the top-51 salary list for the cap. So every player here are on counts basically $1M less against the cap than the cap hit shows. So if the Bears sign 7 more players, they can technically spend $7M more than the projected cap space that is listed today.

"Lastly, if they did trade Fields, that would save an additional $3M. So that is over $50M in effective cap space without doing too much."

I thought JFs contract is fully guaranteed? Unless there is offset language built in that states if traded, that team pays the contract.  

3 hours ago, adam said:

According to OTC, the $44M in effective cap includes Swift, Owens, Bates, and Johnson. It just doesn't include Byard and Everett so far. The max cap hits for Byard and Everett total $13.5M, but will more than likely be slightly lower. So the Bears have at least $30M left and probably closer to $33M left.

They also can create some wiggle room if they want it, they can convert some of Sweat's, Edmunds', or Moore's salary to bonuses, which could free up to $15M without massive impacts on future cap space.

Lastly, if they did trade Fields, that would save an additional $3M. So that is over $50M in effective cap space without doing too much.

If we stick with the $33M, they should be able to get 3-4 starter level players. They need a Center, WR, Edge, and DT, so I can see them using most of the remaining space on those guys to replace Whitehair/Mooney/Ngakoue/Jones. If they need more space, then they can create it and use the rest on some lower level guys under $3M per year.

Patrick, Green, Lewis, St. Brown, Taylor, and Cole would be the remaining "holes" that need to be filled and all of them were backups that should not require extensive cap space to fill. Some of the deals will be vet minimums that won't even hit the top 51 salaries of the cap.

One last thing to consider. There about a 1M buffer right now, so the Bears can sign a guy with a $3M cap hit and it only makes the current cap go up $2M because that player is knocking a $1M player off the top-51 salary list for the cap. So every player here are on counts basically $1M less against the cap than the cap hit shows. So if the Bears sign 7 more players, they can technically spend $7M more than the projected cap space that is listed today.

The video I seen did have everything included after the Everett sign. The writer did the dive , I just read the article. He had the adjusted rate at 44 mil before he started deducting. After JJ . He had a high rookie pool because of 2 top 10 picks and figured 7 mil for in season money. I'll try to link the video.

I think that even though Fields' contract is fully guaranteed, some of it is salary and roster bonus, and that is paid on the cap by whichever team holds his contact at the time those things come due?

So if we cut him, it's on us, but if we trade him then it comes off our cap?

I think offset language is for when we cut a player, but not a trade.

26 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

We can't have  much left after getting Allen. He can work numbers if he wants someone but it gets tougher going forward.

I thought they still had about 15M in cap space which they could spend. They also have ways to free up a bit more / restructure some deals if they wanted to - but my guess is he is going to sit back and watch the market right now and see if someone he likes creeps to a value he wants (for sure on dline). 

21 minutes ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

I thought they still had about 15M in cap space which they could spend. They also have ways to free up a bit more / restructure some deals if they wanted to - but my guess is he is going to sit back and watch the market right now and see if someone he likes creeps to a value he wants (for sure on dline). 

I keep hearing different amounts, not sure who is right or wrong. If he wants someone, he will play with the numbers to make it work. Last year he went into the season with 9 mil on the books. No way he's going thru the season with only a few mil for in season transactions.

2 hours ago, DABEARSDABOMB said:

yeah they will have about $27 million left after they get down to the top 51 for the cap, but that includes money they will need for the rookie pool, and to keep liquidity for in season moves. we have room for another signing tho.

Also there is some chance we will extend Allen another year and play some cap games doing it to free up $. If that happens itll probably be this weekend.

8 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

yeah they will have about $27 million left after they get down to the top 51 for the cap, but that includes money they will need for the rookie pool, and to keep liquidity for in season moves. we have room for another signing tho.

Also there is some chance we will extend Allen another year and play some cap games doing it to free up $. If that happens itll probably be this weekend.

Because of two top ten  picks our rookie pool is estimated to be

around 15 mil and the in season amount he kept last year for a budget was 9 mil. Not sure we're getting any pricey FAs, with that .