Roster Comparison - Post Draft

adam

With the draft picks locked in for 2024, here is the before and after by position:

Offense:

QB - [Fields > Williams*]
RB - [Foreman > Swift*]
WR - [Mooney > Allen*] / [St. Brown > Odunze*] / [Taylor > Pettis]
TE - [Tonyan > Everett*]
IOL - [Patrick > Shelton*] / [Whitehair > Bates*] / [Feeney > Curhan*] / [X > Amegadjie]

Defense:

DE - [Green > Martin*] / [Ngakoue > Booker*]
LB - [Cole > Ogbongbemiga*]
DB - [Blackwell > Owens*]
FS - [Jackson > Byard*]

P - [Gill > Taylor*]

Holes remaining:

DT - [Jones > X]
TE - [Lewis > X]

It seems like Poles literally took every underperforming player and got rid of them this offseason, and replaced them with an instant upgrade. 

The roster really only needs a rotational DT/3T and TE3. There are probably a couple of end of the 53-man juggling, but that would be at DT4/5 and DE4/5. After that, the roster looks really solid.

QB - Williams, Bagent, Rypien - both backups with starting experience
RB - Swift, Herbert, Johnson, Homer, Blasingame - 2 RBs with starting experience
TE - Kmet, Everett, Vet FA - TE1A and TE1B
WR - Moore, Allen, Odunze, Scott, Jones, Pettis - Arguably WR1A, 1B, and 1C 
OT - Wright, Jones, Amegadjie, Borom - 4 out of 5 OL subs have started games
OG - Jenkins, Davis, Curhan, Carter, Pryor - If they go with best 5, there is a chance Davis gets cut
OC - Shelton, Bates

DT - Billings, Dexter, Pickens, Cowart, Vet FA - Still could use a player or two to upgrade DT4/5
DE - Sweat, Booker or Walker, Martin, Kareem, Robinson - One vet away from being solid at DE4
LB - Edmunds, Edwards, Sanborn, Sewell, Ogbongbemiga, Hardy - Solid group
CB - Johnson, Stevenson, Gordon, Smith, Jones, Stroman - CB6 would be only change
S - Brisker, Byard, Owens, Hicks, Johnson - S4/5 would be only change here

P - Taylor - Pro Bowl Punter
K - Santos - Pro Bowl Kicker
PS - Scales

Starters in bold. 

My projection is adding a vet DT, DE, and TE3, with possibly a new backup S to compete with Hicks/Johnson.

1 hour ago, CrackerDog said:

Gotta like his confidence.  Let’s hope he can back it up.  
image.png

I just like the fact that Williams was reaching out to the other draft picks right after they were selected.

2 hours ago, adam said:

In the 2025 draft, with 3 picks in the first two rounds, it seems like DL and OL will be the targets. That would add 3x blue chippers to the trenches. 

I am rooting for Jenkins to have a healthy (contract) season and the Bears find a way to keep him, that will help keep the gel and nasty. The 2025 draft will be the icing especially if our needs line up.

34 minutes ago, adam said:

I just like the fact that Williams was reaching out to the other draft picks right after they were selected.

he has off the chart leadership qualities for sure.

I think he will bring the leadership fire I wanted from Harbaugh to offset Eberflus' steadier demeanor. And that works well too. On some teams the QB is the "bad cop" leader with the insatiable desire to win. Surely Brady yelled at players and coaches in his single minded efforts to win at all costs.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:33 AM, BearFan PHX said:

he has off the chart leadership qualities for sure.

I think he will bring the leadership fire I wanted from Harbaugh to offset Eberflus' steadier demeanor. And that works well too. On some teams the QB is the "bad cop" leader with the insatiable desire to win. Surely Brady yelled at players and coaches in his single minded efforts to win at all costs.

Seeing what Shedeur Sanders is doing, I really can't believe all the BS that came out about Williams before the draft. Most of it was bogus and media generated. I am glad Poles didn't waver. Also, remember all the talk about Carl Williams. Have you seen even a single quote or interview with him this offseason? Compare that to Lavar Ball. Again, another nothing burger.

This kid is legit and the real deal. Will he have bad games, sure, rookie issues, absolutely, but he is still going to be really good, if not great. No one cared when the Bears drafted Trubisky, actually, we were ridiculed from day 1. Not many people cared about Fields being the 4th QB taken, and outside of his houdini acts, he was never a big threat in the passing game. However, this time, it is different, other team's fanbases are in full denial/cope mode, and I am here for it.

This is going to be a fun and magical season, I can't wait for Week 1.

7 minutes ago, adam said:

Seeing what Shedeur Sanders is doing, I really can't believe all the BS that came out about Williams before the draft. Most of it was bogus and media generated. I am glad Poles didn't waver. Also, remember all the talk about Carl Williams. Have you seen even a single quote or interview with him this offseason? Compare that to Lavar Ball. Again, another nothing burger.

This kid is legit and the real deal. Will he have bad games, sure, rookie issues, absolutely, but he is still going to be really good, if not great. No one cared when the Bears drafted Trubisky, actually, we were ridiculed from day 1. Not many people cared about Fields being the 4th QB taken, and outside of his houdini acts, he was never a big threat in the passing game. However, this time, it is different, other team's fanbases are in full denial/cope mode, and I am here for it.

This is going to be a fun and magical season, I can't wait for Week 1.

truth! and this season is just the warm up band. The 2025 season we should be bona fide super bowl contenders.

With this roster we can climb the mountain to become a top 5 team, and even get to the super bowl. The real test will be what it takes to overcome and defeat Kansas City. It might take a minute, like the Bulls getting past the Pistons.

I could imagine losing a super bowl to KC before going on a run of multiple championships.

2 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

truth! and this season is just the warm up band. The 2025 season we should be bona fide super bowl contenders.

With this roster we can climb the mountain to become a top 5 team, and even get to the super bowl. The real test will be what it takes to overcome and defeat Kansas City. It might take a minute, like the Bulls getting past the Pistons.

I could imagine losing a super bowl to KC before going on a run of multiple championships.

Kelce has two more years, they will probably go all in for the next two, then do a soft reboot. The first step is the Division, then beating SF.

My hope was win the division this year, then beat SF next year, then Super Bowl wins from 2026-2034.

29 minutes ago, adam said:

Kelce has two more years, they will probably go all in for the next two, then do a soft reboot. The first step is the Division, then beating SF.

My hope was win the division this year, then beat SF next year, then Super Bowl wins from 2026-2034.

I remember the Bears losing the NFC Championship game to Joe Montana in 1984. The '85 roster was mostly complete, so they had the talent, but not the identity yet. They needed to go through that, to know how good they needed to be to get there, and how far down deep inside they had to reach to become truly great.

And while an era of bears dominance will be great, I personally hope that KC doesnt fade to give us space for it, but instead, we have to learn to dominate and take it from them at their best, like Jordan and Bulls who couldn't get past the Pistons until they were so good that they never got stopped again. Those failures sharpen the blade until it cuts through anything.

Obviously I want to see it happen quickly, but I want to see it for real, not because a fumble went our way or KC double doinks an easy FG that should have been a game winner. No, I want to take victory decisively from opponents, and dictate dominance so that we absolutely deserve our success. That kind of bully team is what I've waited 40 years to see again. So if it takes a few key defeats to harden this steel, it will be worth it.

By the time we played the Rams in the playoffs in 1985, no one was thinking "we'd better be careful" or "how can we edge by them?" we expected and delivered a total beatdown, the Rams were humbled and outclassed. In fact the Bears didn't allow a SINGLE POINT throughout the playoffs that year, and only surrendered 10 points in the superbowl, a game in which we scored 46 points.

Losing to Montana in 84 taught them that being good wasnt enough. Beating most teams wasnt enough. They got a glimpse of what dominance really was, and that drove them in the 85 season to become truly great.

Do not discard the ceiling of what we can do this year even with a rookie QB. We are a few players away from being dominant. With 2 teams in the playoffs, if we win our division, we can make a run to the SB. Caleb will no longer be a rookie after 12 games so his true talent will start to shine.

I'm an optimist, if you can be optimistic for this year, you're not capable of a glass half full. 

35 minutes ago, Stinger226 said:

Do not discard the ceiling of what we can do this year even with a rookie QB. We are a few players away from being dominant. With 2 teams in the playoffs, if we win our division, we can make a run to the SB. Caleb will no longer be a rookie after 12 games so his true talent will start to shine.

I'm an optimist, if you can be optimistic for this year, you're not capable of a glass half full. 

Oh, I'm not putting a ceiling. I agree with you if things go a certain way, this team could be a super bowl level.team in December. I'm just not expecting that.

I think the real window opens in 2025. But it's not because we need more players. Most of the big names on that 2025 superbowl contending squad are on the team right now. It's more a matter of them having a minute to gel.

Also, I was talking about getting past Mahomes and being the top team in the league. I dont see that as likely this first year.

But I am thinking that this group of players could be that soon, so if they find their rhythm right away, and gel, anything is possible.

I dont think this is a lack of optimism. I feel REALLY good about this group. It's more like I realize how tall the mountain they have to climb is, and i think that journey usually comes in stages of improvement. You get to the point where you routinely beat the #8 and #7 team int he league and everyone below, and then you end up in a playoff game with someone really good, or in a SB against KC and Mahomes, and then it usually takes a defeat to show you exactly how far down inside youre going to have to reach. It's not a slight at our roster at ALL. It's more of an understanding of the process of becoming a champion has levels to it, and experience can't be sidestepped.

But if theyre playing well at the end of the year and get into the playoffs, they sure do have weapons. I wouldnt be giving up hope on ANYTHING at that point.

4 hours ago, BearFan PHX said:

Also, I was talking about getting past Mahomes and being the top team in the league. I dont see that as likely this first year.

Not without an elite pass rush.  

42 minutes ago, AZ54 said:

Not without an elite pass rush.  

oh yes we still have some holes for sure. I am not predicting a superbowl this year LOL

Im just talking about the path we will want to travel.

With 3 picks in the first 2 rounds in 2025, I feel like they get a Blue Chip Edge, DT, and G while still improving other spots via free agency.

I also think there is still a few moves left to be made, and don't be surprised if the Bears are buyers at the trade deadline this year.

The very early Walter mock draft had the Bears selecting 3 DL.  2 DE/edge and a 3T.   The depth on the top 50 seem to favor our need next year and noticed a lot of size so there is no finding guys that need to add 15#. 

6 hours ago, ASHKUM BEAR said:

The very early Walter mock draft had the Bears selecting 3 DL.  2 DE/edge and a 3T.   The depth on the top 50 seem to favor our need next year and noticed a lot of size so there is no finding guys that need to add 15#. 

They said the draft is defensive heavy next year, which would play right into the Bears hands. Get Offense this year, defense next year, and cook for ages.

6 minutes ago, adam said:

They said the draft is defensive heavy next year, which would play right into the Bears hands. Get Offense this year, defense next year, and cook for ages.

As long as they get a long term C in that high mix, maybe 3rd but I'd be good going DE, DT, C/G rounds 1 and 2. Then DE round 3 if it's heavy in talent.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:09 AM, ASHKUM BEAR said:

I am rooting for Jenkins to have a healthy (contract) season and the Bears find a way to keep him, that will help keep the gel and nasty. The 2025 draft will be the icing especially if our needs line up.

If Kiwan Amegadjie ends up winning the LT job, heard them talk about moving Braxton inside or vice versa. If Jenkins deals with any injuries again this year, I dont see them signing him back. 

Jenkins is one of our best linemen, but he's missed a lot of games. I dunno how you can trust that, even though he may make it through this season without any.

My guess is that Poles is not going to pay Jenkins a big contract, but someone will.